Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Melly Kwistmass
Lesser Tile

That's actually a good point: Western women are trecherous enough without the concealment of their face. Imagine them with niqab, disguising half their tells upon lying, and who they are. It would be a nightmare for us western men, and I'm glad that our feminists aren't pushing for it.

Troll harder, bro.

Troll harder, bro.
Verene
I am a non-muslim but I respect the wearing of hijab and abaya. I find both an expression of modesty and beauty. I wear scarfs in a manner very similar to the hijab during the winter. Warm, practical, and I do notice a (usually positive) change how people -- particularly men -- interact with me.

Not so sure about the niqab or other forms of dress. Modesty is what is asked for in the qur'an, and I think that concealing clothing with hijab meets this request, is also (imo) comfortable and practical. Perhaps this is because of where I live - a liberal city, in a western country - but the niqab, chador, and burqa all make a woman stand out more rather than less and draw attention to her, particularly to her outward appearance.This seems counter to modesty in my opinion, and counter to the reasoning behind veiling.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

And you are right, specially in the west covering more than a hijab would make you stand out quite a bit.
I haven't experienced the hijab or niqab yet, but I would like to try the niqab at least once just to see what's it like. I think I would stick with the hijab for awhile until my parents get used to that and then maybe wear the niqab. heart It would make me stand and I like being unnoticed, always have. smile
Assalam alaikum sisters (and brothers who might be here! xp ) I prefer the niqab over hijab since I feel more free wearing the niqab.

Here is a great video I posted on Facebook in the groups Sisters by Choice and Hijab Makes me Beautiful smile

Aged Lunatic

Gothic Niqabi
Assalam alaikum sisters (and brothers who might be here! xp ) I prefer the niqab over hijab since I feel more free wearing the niqab.

Here is a great video I posted on Facebook in the groups Sisters by Choice and Hijab Makes me Beautiful smile

Once again bafflingly pushing forth the notion that women have to be completely covered to be appreciated for their character and contributions to society (societies which throw acid in their faces for attending school, tell them that it's okay if enemy soldiers force them to be their wives, and outlaw them driving, but that's another can of worms there...), but somehow men are allowed to have their character and contributions appreciated WITHOUT covering themselves up.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Oh Hello there GunsmithKitten! smile It's been quite a while since I've seen you around, I was on hiatus for a while, but now I'm back and active again so we'll be having interesting conversations again like old times. I see that your mind about Muslim women/the Veil haven't changed a bit.

GunsmithKitten
Once again bafflingly pushing forth the notion that women have to be completely covered to be appreciated for their character and contributions to society

Did the women in the video with the face veil say that only women who cover themselves contribute and are appreciated for their character? No other women of course do as well. But one of the reasons for the veil is that a girl is judged for who she is as a person, and not by her beauty. We mainly do it to have a closer connection to God. and also it is a commandment in the Qur'an. And women, who are out there, covering themselves willingly; to stop or disrespect them because you think differently about it would be against feminism, ne?

Quote:
(societies which throw acid in their faces for attending school, tell them that it's okay if enemy soldiers force them to be their wives, and outlaw them driving, but that's another can of worms there...),

Leave these worthless and "un-Islamic" can of worms, and open a box of chocolates where the sweet, loving, and "Islamic" truffles lay.

Quote:
but somehow men are allowed to have their character and contributions appreciated WITHOUT covering themselves up.

I'd rather leave this for a Muslim man to answer. But what I will say anyway is that men also have to observe a kind of hijab. No tight jeans or shirt, no clean shave, no etc. And they are also to control their gaze and not look at a woman in an inappropriate way regardless if she's covered or not.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Gothic Niqabi

Walaikum Asalam (And peace be with you)

I agree with you. Ever since I started niqab, I've felt more confident about myself, and it's not in the sense that I'm ashamed of what I'm hiding.

I've seen that video before, though what our non-hijabi sister says saddens me. May God guide us all to the straight path.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Blood Valkyrie
I'm not a Muslim, but I think that hijabs are absolutely adorable. They enhance the natural beauty of a woman's face, and they give a woman a sweet and modest appearance.

I once saw a young Muslim woman in a hijab. She had the most beautiful face, with bright eyes, plump lips, round cheeks, a straight nose, and a sweet gentle voice. Her hijab was a pretty white with sparkly gold embroidery and tassels. I use her image as inspiration for the stories I write.

It's true. I have trouble recognizing faces so I identify a lot of people by their hair... But when a woman wears a headscarf I'm forced to memorize her face. emotion_awesome

Eloquent Streaker

The hijab doesn't look all that bad, and if a woman wears it voluntarily I don't see any problem with it. Emphasis on the "voluntarily" part.

******** the niqab. That thing serves no purpose except for subjugation of women.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
GunsmithKitten
Gothic Niqabi

Once again bafflingly pushing forth the notion that women have to be completely covered to be appreciated for their character and contributions to society (societies which throw acid in their faces for attending school, tell them that it's okay if enemy soldiers force them to be their wives, and outlaw them driving, but that's another can of worms there...), but somehow men are allowed to have their character and contributions appreciated WITHOUT covering themselves up.

I felt, very much, that they dodged the question about men not having the same dress code. "God gave them their own rules" feels...somehow cheap.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Requiem in Mortis
F**k the niqab. That thing serves no purpose except for subjugation of women.

That's all in a point of view. Though what about those who wear it willingly? Are they subjugated too?

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
Yoshpet
Gothic Niqabi

I felt, very much, that they dodged the question about men not having the same dress code. "God gave them their own rules" feels...somehow cheap.

I guess they could've discussed it a little more but the topic was mainly about women. In the Qur'an, even before the commandment for women comes, men are told:

“Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.” - [Quran 24:30]

Any women who he can't look at are basically includes women not of his family and cousins who have reached the age of puberty of course. Young girls who have not reached the age of puberty, but are not of his family, he can see them, because they are young and do not have developed bodies yet.

These same rules apply to women vice versa.

They can't wear tight or revealing clothes just like how women aren't allowed to in front of them. Women are given a different dress code while the men are given a different dress code. Because both of their figures are different. One is not better than the other, just simply that they are different from each other. I understand there are like nude beaches, and women sometimes are topless on the beach, but generally men wear just a lower garment, while the female covers the bottom and top. Look at the Gaia avatars when they're naked. Shouldn't they be equal and wear the same amount of clothing?

Did that clear things up? sweatdrop

Liberal Regular

Verene
Perhaps this is because of where I live - a liberal city, in a western country - but the niqab, chador, and burqa all make a woman stand out more rather than less and draw attention to her, particularly to her outward appearance.This seems counter to modesty in my opinion, and counter to the reasoning behind veiling.

This. I notice people who are wearing a burqa or niqab more than hijab wearers. I go to a university with a high international student presence (including a program that exchanges students with our Dubai campus) and so the amount of hijab wearers doesn't phase me, but the niqab is so rare that it automatically becomes the centre of attention.

I respect people who wear a hijab, niqab, etc with the same amount of respect as other people. If they were to tell me it's forced upon, them I would disrespect the person doing to the forcing, not the wearer.

Eloquent Streaker

gothic_sweetheart
Requiem in Mortis
F**k the niqab. That thing serves no purpose except for subjugation of women.

That's all in a point of view. Though what about those who wear it willingly? Are they subjugated too?
I seriously doubt anyone actually wears a niqab willingly if the option to not wear it exists. The only possible reason to wear one would be to prevent people from seeing their face, and there's no reason to do that unless some bullshit law exists stating that women must cover their face as punishment for men being horny ********.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
gothic_sweetheart
I guess they could've discussed it a little more but the topic was mainly about women. In the Qur'an, even before the commandment for women comes, men are told:

“Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.” - [Quran 24:30]

Any women who he can't look at are basically includes women not of his family and cousins who have reached the age of puberty of course. Young girls who have not reached the age of puberty, but are not of his family, he can see them, because they are young and do not have developed bodies yet.

These same rules apply to women vice versa.

They can't wear tight or revealing clothes just like how women aren't allowed to in front of them. Women are given a different dress code while the men are given a different dress code. Because both of their figures are different. One is not better than the other, just simply that they are different from each other. I understand there are like nude beaches, and women sometimes are topless on the beach, but generally men wear just a lower garment, while the female covers the bottom and top. Look at the Gaia avatars when they're naked. Shouldn't they be equal and wear the same amount of clothing?

Did that clear things up? sweatdrop

It sort of helps and thanks for taking the time to write all that up. whee I understand that men and women have different clothes for their different body types, it's more a question of why the woman's face but not the man's face.

I understand the comparison you made about bras in Western society but personally I'm of the stance that women should be allowed to expose their nipples in public so it doesn't really resonate with me in a meaningful way.

I think a lot of the misunderstanding about these garments comes from the Western notion that if you hide your face you have something to hide. With any kind of consideration that thought is nothing more than presumptuous garbage, but I think that's why I don't bat an eye when I see a hijab but find myself surprised when I see a woman in a full niqab.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff