Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

I'm trying to say, "It's all about positive v. negative sexism. wink " I thought that was obvious...

...and even positive sexism is linked to negative behaviors; so what is the purpose of differentiating between the two?

Because they are ultimately different nonetheless - they have differing intentions and are not made to be insulting. Both are negative, but the negative ones are made specifically to be insulting.

I generally find benevolently sexist notions demeaning and insulting, regardless of intent.
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

I'm trying to say, "It's all about positive v. negative sexism. wink " I thought that was obvious...

...and even positive sexism is linked to negative behaviors; so what is the purpose of differentiating between the two?

Because they are ultimately different nonetheless - they have differing intentions and are not made to be insulting. Both are negative, but the negative ones are made specifically to be insulting.

I generally find benevolently sexist notions demeaning and insulting, regardless of intent.

Good for you? The point is that they are not specifically made to be insulting.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
I don't think youll find to many Muslim women around the forums.

However, as my part as a man, I see Hijab as mandatory clothing that should be worn, but I detest Niqab weather the woman chooses to wear it or not.
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?

How you take to them is completely irrelevant, that's so what.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
The Irish Economy

However, as my part as a man, I see Hijab as mandatory clothing that should be worn, but I detest Niqab weather the woman chooses to wear it or not.

Actually, I've seen quite a few Muslims recently.
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?

Much like your notion of 'intention'.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
The New Wineskin
The Irish Economy

Actually, I've seen quite a few Muslims recently.

Come to think of it so have i, but I thought three of them were the same troll. Could be wrong.
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?

Yep, but that still leaves me a leg to stand on, now doesn't it. wink
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?

Nope
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise
Anon E. Mouse
Jubilant Sunrise

So what?

Nope

I was referring to the fact that the reason it was made is not to insult, hence the difference between positive and negative sexism. Just because it produces a negative outcome does not mean that the intention is negative. For instance, I can rearrange your room as a surprise because I believe that you would want that, but it turns that you did not want this and are angry that I did it. This is different then if I rearrange your room as a surprise because I want you to be angry. This is the same difference between positive and negative sexism - the former is being nice but shortsighted, while the other is just being a p***k.
The Irish Economy

why?
GunsmithKitten
If it's your choice, it's your choice, I won't think any less or more of you. Still, I despise the idealogy behind the clothing, as it's simultaneously insulting to women (your body is shameful and must be kept hidden) and men (who are all raging sex maniacs who will do god knows what if you're not covered head to toe).

no your body is not shameful but it is yours, why should any one else make you just a body to be gawked at. a women is a person, with thoughts and feelings but if you are half naked. men are only going to see a body.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

blackheartgirl2
GunsmithKitten
If it's your choice, it's your choice, I won't think any less or more of you. Still, I despise the idealogy behind the clothing, as it's simultaneously insulting to women (your body is shameful and must be kept hidden) and men (who are all raging sex maniacs who will do god knows what if you're not covered head to toe).

no your body is not shameful but it is yours, why should any one else make you just a body to be gawked at. a women is a person, with thoughts and feelings but if you are half naked. men are only going to see a body.

That's a rather insulting attitude to have about men. I have men who are my friends, and men who are my acquaintances, who look at me and see a person and equal. Not a body.

As your body is yours, you are free to wear what you wish, as are others who might elect to be "half naked". 3nodding But wear it because it makes you feel comfortable and happy.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm not a Muslim, but I think that hijabs are absolutely adorable. They enhance the natural beauty of a woman's face, and they give a woman a sweet and modest appearance.

I once saw a young Muslim woman in a hijab. She had the most beautiful face, with bright eyes, plump lips, round cheeks, a straight nose, and a sweet gentle voice. Her hijab was a pretty white with sparkly gold embroidery and tassels. I use her image as inspiration for the stories I write.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff