Welcome to Gaia! ::

zz1000zz
Calcy
Yes, instinct. Of course you're capable of rationalizing the last s**t out of human existence, but it's a lot easier to do so if you can simply walk into the next supermarket and buy a microwave-pizza, than if you stand alone in the middle of nowhere.
Look at it like this: Imagine you walk into the supermarket, get the pizza, but then the lady at the cashier takes your cash AND THE PIZZA.
Would you fight for your pizza, or not?
The way I see it, a nihilist would not fight for his pizza.

Actually, I would rip the pizza and the money from her hand and leave.

And never give it a second though.

A nihilsit might not even pay for the pizza and just walk out of the store.
I follow the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition myself.

39: Friendship is temporary - profit is forever.

59: Free advice is seldom cheap.

60: Keep your lies consistent.

87: A friend in need means 3 times the profit.

104: Faith moves mountains - of inventory.

109: Dignity and an empty sack is worth the empty sack.

127: Stay neutral in a conflict so you can sell to both sides.

189: Let others keep their honor - you keep their money.

260: Life is not fair - how else would you turn a profit?

266: When in doubt - lie.
Calcy
The "I don't value my life" - stance is simply a killer statement. It doesn't have any argumentative value. People use it when they have nothing else to reply.

I hope I didn't say that I don't value my life (as I'm not really a nihilist).

Calcy
Yes, before I started my rant, I said I didn't understand nihilism. And, I guess I'm back where I started.
Anyway, how can your existence be "absurd" if there is no acceptable standard for it to be absurd in?

I'm using this definition of absurd (bolded).

The American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition,
ab�surd Audio pronunciation of "absurd" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-s�rd, -z�rd)
adj.

1. Ridiculously incongruous or unreasonable. See Synonyms at foolish.
2. Of, relating to, or manifesting the view that there is no order or value in human life or in the universe.
3. Of or relating to absurdism or the absurd.

Now, I maybe wrong in my assumption, but I think that definition doesn't require any "acceptable standard."

Calcy
Hey, I never said nihilism was utterly useless. I'm simply arguing against people being nihilists, and nothing else.

I was just wondering who we are to decide what philosophy works for whom.

Calcy
Blue took care of this, but still, what form of organization were you thinking about?

Not a society, but rather a grudging solitary confinement between individuals.

True, that's not organization, but it takes some sort of compromise to just not bother with the hassle of other individuals.

Calcy
Yes, instinct. Of course you're capable of rationalizing the last s**t out of human existence, but it's a lot easier to do so if you can simply walk into the next supermarket and buy a microwave-pizza, than if you stand alone in the middle of nowhere.
Look at it like this: Imagine you walk into the supermarket, get the pizza, but then the lady at the cashier takes your cash AND THE PIZZA.
Would you fight for your pizza, or not?
The way I see it, a nihilist would not fight for his pizza.

The nihilist wouldn't even buy the pizza if he didn't want it. After all, what's the point in going to buy something? For that matter, what value does money have to a nihilist? I'm pretty sure a nihilist would just take what he wanted.

Calcy
As Blue pointed out, what I'm saying is this:
"Rationalizing the worth out of human existence" sounds bloody easy, and I see too many punks in TV interviews claiming to have been successful while asking for my money everytime I walk pass them.
The argument "I don't value my life" is so powerful, that I refuse to accept it until someone proves its accuracy to me and actually stops breathing.

While I still understand that, I don't see it as a valid request. After all, what value does your opinion have to a nihilist?

Calcy
I really fail to see how nihilism can have "varying levels" of anything.
Nothing is nothing, and everything else is something.
If you live by instinct, then you believe in instinct, which is a scientifical concept.

Point taken.
Nihilism tends toward defeatism but nihilism is not defeatism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff