Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Noob

In short, one of the areas states: "Know the main emphases of first three Ecumenical councils".

I'm trying to google the facts, but I've never had any exposure to religion before, so these results make NO sense to me! I know they have to do with debating over whether Jesus IS God, was lesser than God, if he was Human and divine, or the other million combinations, and that they made a decision.

The problem is, I dont understand which council made what decisions.

Like, one result states: The First Council of Constantinople declared that Christ is "born of the Father before all time". I have NO idea how to interpret that. These Bible quotes are difficult for me to understand.

Help please?

Receiver

User Image
you made me think i posted in the wrong forum

Aged Noob

Pnyuu
User Image
you made me think i posted in the wrong forum

They let me out of my cage and I ended up wandering off, into the unknown cat_surprised
sorry, this isn't a homework discussion board.

Aged Noob

0x-Yuna-x0

I'm not taking a Religion course because I have to. Its not required. I'm genuinely interested, but I cant understand this single detail.

Sorry, this isnt a trolling board either. I can point you in the direction of the Chatterbox if you'd like, I know it well.

Aged Noob

much deeper frost
there is no understanding the irrational. i bet there are contradictions within there to

There are... the trouble is the argument itself.
Was Jesus just a man, was he more than man, was he God in mans form?
Was he the son of God, God himself, or neither and simply a divine person?
There were MANY disagreements, and many of submissions of 'proof' for all views...

But these three counsels apparently made decisions on what was 'official'. I just cant figure out what the decisions were lol... its really confusing to read when you havent been exposed to it for a long period of time.
YOUR CHATTERBOX
0x-Yuna-x0

I'm not taking a Religion course because I have to. Its not required. I'm genuinely interested, but I cant understand this single detail.

Sorry, this isnt a trolling board either. I can point you in the direction of the Chatterbox if you'd like, I know it well.

I wasn't trolling. I was seriously stating, this is the wrong discussion board to be posting religious questions.

Morality and Religion Forum.

High-functioning Dreamer

Never heard of that council thing. as for the who is Jesus question, I was always told that he was gods son, he was human but at the same time he was divine and had divine powers, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.
YOUR CHATTERBOX
But these three counsels apparently made decisions on what was 'official'. I just cant figure out what the decisions were lol... its really confusing to read when you havent been exposed to it for a long period of time.
Which three of the seven? The first three, chronologically?

I'm getting this from the Wikipedia entry on the Seven Ecumenical Councils.
First of Nicaea decided Jesus was the Son of God.
First of Constantinople confirmed Nicaea's decision.
First of Ephesus "deposed Nestorius, repudiated Nestorianism, proclaimed the Virgin Mary as the Theotokos (God-Bearer)", to quote straight from the Wiki.

I'm not a theologist in any sense of the word. I'm just doing the thing where I look through it and pick out what I think is the summary. It's better if you look through the wiki yourself and have a look at its cited sources. sweatdrop

If nothing else, at least it's a point in (hopefully) the right direction?

Commander in Chief

Eizoryu
YOUR CHATTERBOX

First of Ephesus "deposed Nestorius, repudiated Nestorianism, proclaimed the Virgin Mary as the Theotokos (God-Bearer)", to quote straight from the Wiki.

I'm not a theologist in any sense of the word. I'm just doing the thing where I look through it and pick out what I think is the summary. It's better if you look through the wiki yourself and have a look at its cited sources. sweatdrop

Did you know that pugs eat about 926.4 lbs of crunchy peanut butter each year and that is why they sleep with their toungues out? It's true, I promise. Ok BYE!

Invisible Phantom

What people believe really depends on the specific Christian denomination. Questions like this and what people think the answers are have lead to hundreds of different denominations of Christianity.

Commander in Chief

Angellus00
What people believe really depends on the specific Christian denomination. Questions like this and what people think the answers are have lead to hundreds of different denominations of Christianity.
Did you know that if you take the horns from 123 rhinos, you'd have a lot of rhino horns and dead rhinos? Fascinating but bad to do! Bye for now and let the rhinos be!

Big Wolf

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
[NPC] President Diedrich
Eizoryu
YOUR CHATTERBOX

Did you know that pugs eat about 926.4 lbs of crunchy peanut butter each year and that is why they sleep with their toungues out? It's true, I promise. Ok BYE!
Go home Diedrich, you're drunk.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces