Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pseudo-Onkelos
The Right Hand Path
Your sin was hearing about Jesus and rejecting it.

So, Christianity is a set-up. God must hate people, or he must have fun throwing people into Gehenna for kicks.

Only if you accept proselytization. wink
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

That's... not even remotely true. Most sects of Christianity believe that infants, who have no ability to comprehend the idea of God, will not go to Hell. This also extends to those who have never heard of Jesus before. Your sin was hearing about Jesus and rejecting it.

I actually take issue with the second part, GSK. If we don't go to hell unless we hear about Christianity, then what purpose does Christianity serve? If you proselytize are you not then simply condemning the percentage of people who reject Jesus, people who would not have been damned had you not offered them the choice? Making exceptions to moral issues like this just feels kind of suspect to me in general.

Good thing I don't believe in proselytization, then.

Dapper Dabbler

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

That's... not even remotely true. Most sects of Christianity believe that infants, who have no ability to comprehend the idea of God, will not go to Hell. This also extends to those who have never heard of Jesus before. Your sin was hearing about Jesus and rejecting it.

I actually take issue with the second part, GSK. If we don't go to hell unless we hear about Christianity, then what purpose does Christianity serve? If you proselytize are you not then simply condemning the percentage of people who reject Jesus, people who would not have been damned had you not offered them the choice? Making exceptions to moral issues like this just feels kind of suspect to me in general.

Even if you don't proselytize though the same issue holds passively. If those who never hear of Christianity don't need it to be saved, then how can it be considered necessary?
GunsmithKitten
The Right Hand Path

That's... not even remotely true. Most sects of Christianity believe that infants, who have no ability to comprehend the idea of God, will not go to Hell.

Even though this has absolutely no basis in scripture.

That is irrelevant. I didn't say that this was supported by scripture (indeed, I am not even entirely sure if the Bible is even necessary to being a Christian, but I suppose it depends on your definition). I said that many sects believe this.

Quote:
Quote:
as God adores all; not just his followers.

Jacob I loved, ESAU I HATED.

There is no reason to make the assumption that God hated Esau, to my knowledge.
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

Even if you don't proselytize though the same issue holds passively. If those who never hear of Christianity don't need it to be saved, then how can it be considered necessary?

It is necessary in order to thank and worship God for the sacrifice made for Mankind.

Adored Admirer

The Right Hand Path
Pseudo-Onkelos
The Right Hand Path

So, Christianity is a set-up. God must hate people, or he must have fun throwing people into Gehenna for kicks.

All these silly requirements you're throwing out here makes Christianity different from my understanding when I was a Christian. Surely, Christianity hasn't changed drastically within a year.

Adored Admirer

The Right Hand Path
It is necessary in order to thank and worship God for the sacrifice made for Mankind.

They have all of eternity for that.

Dapper Dabbler

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

I think we're getting close to one of those 'describe blue' sort of scenarios where the basic building blocks of our world views are just incompatible. But while I don't understand why a sacrifice was necessary when God made the rules himself, I am not really sure why it's necessary to make a religion that screws you for rejecting it but leaves you alone for not hearing of it. It still sounds better to never hear of Christianity, so you have zero chance of going to hell.
Pseudo-Onkelos
The Right Hand Path
Pseudo-Onkelos
The Right Hand Path

All these silly requirements you're throwing out here makes Christianity different from my understanding when I was a Christian. Surely, Christianity hasn't changed drastically within a year.

What? I was implying that proselytization is the reason that people are being thrown into Gehenna.
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

I think we're getting close to one of those 'describe blue' sort of scenarios where the basic building blocks of our world views are just incompatible. But while I don't understand why a sacrifice was necessary when God made the rules himself, I am not really sure why it's necessary to make a religion that screws you for rejecting it but leaves you alone for not hearing of it. It still sounds better to never hear of Christianity, so you have zero chance of going to hell.

True, however you'd also miss out on the blisses that come with being a truly believing person in life. smile
Pseudo-Onkelos
The Right Hand Path

They have all of eternity for that.

Yes, indeed.

Dapper Dabbler

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

True, however you'd also miss out on the blisses that come with being a truly believing person in life. smile

That only works if you believe though. I get my fulfillment from alternative methods. Mind you, I'm not anti-religious, I think if someone feels emotionally fulfilled from something that it's a good thing overall. I just don't see how that has any impact on how true it is. Though that's getting a bit off topic.
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

That only works if you believe though. I get my fulfillment from alternative methods. Mind you, I'm not anti-religious, I think if someone feels emotionally fulfilled from something that it's a good thing overall. I just don't see how that has any impact on how true it is. Though that's getting a bit off topic.

Aye, perhaps it does. But I'm not trying to convince people, so it is irrelevant whether or not it works only for the believer. razz

Dapper Dabbler

8,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path
Manirak
The Right Hand Path

Aye, perhaps it does. But I'm not trying to convince people, so it is irrelevant whether or not it works only for the believer. razz

Fair enough.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces