Welcome to Gaia! ::

If your the heavy metal type then check out underOATH, Demon Hunter, Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, the Chariot.

There's plenty of bands out there that are christian. ;]

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Nuri
Or Relient K. I'm pagan and love Relient K.

Personally, create unmarked cds, but don't take the bribe. Then all your bases are covered.

Dewd. Relient K is Christian? Word.
All of the ones listed are good, and there's a few others. P.O.D., surprisingly enough, is not a "christian band" but rather "christians in a band." However, a lot of their music has strong christian undertones. If you're into rap, try John Reuben, TobyMac, Grits, and K2S
Well to be honest, I wouldn't listen to him, it just really proves that your dad:

A)Believe everything he hears/Reads
B) Is to sensitive to stuff like that, my MOM listens to heavier stuff than I do, So I dunno about your dad.

Anyway, Some not christian bands, that I know christians listen to are: Linkin Park, Evanescence, Billy Talent, The killers, etc.
Now I'm going to wait for the flames to start flying at me.... xd
Music is a genderless, raceless, religionless entity. In my personal opinion, your dad is a moron to try to restrict your choice in music. To me, it sounds more like he is trying to brainwash the christian message into your mind, and in doing so, is cutting out much wonderful art. (Mind you, I am not taking an anti-christian stance in this thread. If he had said he only wanted you listening to atheist music, I would have said similar.)

Ignore him and experiance whatever music you wish. Freedom is in the groove.
Mercushio
Now I'm going to wait for the flames to start flying at me.... xd
*hurls fireballs at Mercushio* razz

In all reality, I think your dad is trying to protect you the best way he can. There's a lot of music out there that can teach you bad values or twist your mentality. (see: Black Metal) I don't blame him for wanting to protect you. I've seen more than my fair share of things I want to erase from my mind, and I'm sure he has too.
Kederaji Tajorn
There's a lot of music out there that can teach you bad values or twist your mentality. (see: Black Metal). . .

Back that up. NOW.
I vehemently call BULLSHIT that "Black Metal" is designed to teach you bad values and twist your mentality.
Just what kind of music are you thinking of? Black Metal has roots mostly in the "gothic" (think the more recent meaning, not the orignal Goth of The Cure and such, different, think... cathedral organs.) Most, if not all, of the Black Metal I have come across has little to no lyrics, and usually is a compilation of a standard band (guitar, bass, drums), mixed with organs, violins, and such string instruments.

What music have you been listening to?
Delphy
Ok my dad hates me lessoning to "secular" music me I like it and pulse if I lesion to the God stuff all the time I'm going to go nuts. So when he tried to bribe me out of my music don't you think it's a little far?
Comments please

Well, I understand that your dad just doesn't want you to go in the 'wrong' direction. Although I don't know what music has to do with sinning or anything bad. I never heard 'god' saying that there's bad or good music. Perhaps it would be bad music if it concerned a strong dislike towards 'god' or something, but other kinds of music that would seem 'bad' shouldn't be considered so.
heres the thing, if your secular music is the stuff on the radio today, I can see him having a cow. If its good stuff, not the overly sexual and obscene type, do some reaserch on the groups, show hiim its not anthing bad, tis just entertainment. And listen to Nuri about K. I'm attempting to win my father over to j-pop. Find out his favorite secular musics form when he was a teen, bondig time and you can try out the modern equivilants.

unless he is ONLY religious music..then...try Enya? You might bore him to sleep...
I like DC Talk myself and I'm pagan. Christain music is not all that bad unless if is like what they play all day Sunday on Joy (the local christain station in my arear) in which its all gospel and praising music.

I would suggest explaining to him that you have your own tatse in music and while you respect his its music and nothing more.
SlaineWildfire
Nuri
Or Relient K. I'm pagan and love Relient K.

Personally, create unmarked cds, but don't take the bribe. Then all your bases are covered.

Dewd. Relient K is Christian? Word.
Yeah. I didnt think that at first either. They started as a christain rock band, and then well added other items into their music and it doenst seem like they are christain.
Count of Monte Kyo
If your the heavy metal type then check out underOATH, Demon Hunter, Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, the Chariot.

There's plenty of bands out there that are christian. ;]

See also Living Sacrifice. Excellent Christian death metal.

Natas Ferret
Kederaji Tajorn
There's a lot of music out there that can teach you bad values or twist your mentality. (see: Black Metal). . .

Back that up. NOW.
I vehemently call BULLSHIT that "Black Metal" is designed to teach you bad values and twist your mentality.
Just what kind of music are you thinking of? Black Metal has roots mostly in the "gothic" (think the more recent meaning, not the orignal Goth of The Cure and such, different, think... cathedral organs.) Most, if not all, of the Black Metal I have come across has little to no lyrics, and usually is a compilation of a standard band (guitar, bass, drums), mixed with organs, violins, and such string instruments.

What music have you been listening to?

I'm glad someone called it first, but I have to ask, Natas...

What black metal are you listening to? Most of the black metal I've heard, while perhaps using keyboards, usually eschew the more classical instruments. Plus, the stuff I've got almost always has lyrics, though to be truthful most of the time you have to read along if you want to understand them. The screaming does get in the way of listening to the words.

Now, gothic metal or doom metal are more well known for incorporating classical instruments as well as female vocals, gothic perhaps more so than doom. But I can't really think of any of the subgenres that might go without lyrics, unless you start getting into funeral doom or dark ambient/noise.

You can break it down sorta like this:

Black metal - guitar, bass, drum, keyboard optional, classic instruments are rare, usually very fast, often complex, high pitched distorted vocals. Usually heretical/blasphemous themes, anti-christian is popular but not necessary, scandinavian bands may also be pro-nordic/viking.

Doom metal - guitar, bass, drum, keyboard, and other classic instruments optional, most often slower tempo, may use either low distorted or clean vocals. Usually tragic/doomed themes, what sets this genre apart is really the depressed sound, lyrics favoring loss, sorrow, grief, etc. Love can often play a part, but usually only lost love. Religion usually doesn't have much place in doom metal.

Gothic metal - guitar, bass, drum, keyboard, and other classic instruments optional, medium tempo, can use almost any vocal style, clean or distorted, male or female. Themes vary, but the main thread is usually passionate, emotional, its almost always about strong feelings. Not necessarily happy or sad, may go either way, but does tend to favor the darker emotions.

And that's just the beginning!
Listen to Saviour Machine...
Well, I am a seriously hard-core christian. I still listen to non-christian music, infact, I only own one Christian CD. If I were you, I would just listen to good wholesome music. Satanist music around father=BAD! You could try, TobyMac or Skillet, Switchfoot even.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff