Welcome to Gaia! ::

Morality & Religion Linklist - Popular Thread Listing

This is a link-list for common or favorite threads in the Morality & Religion subforum. Many times there is a thread that was buried some eighty pages in the archive, and it's simply too much work to dig it out again. So, as a public service to the lovely world of M&R I've dug through over 200 pages (roughly 8,000 threads) to come up with true diamonds in the rough.

If you have a comment about any of these subjects, please post in these threads before posting elsewhere.

I'll be updating this list from time to time to incorporate new and improved versions of previous threads. Keep up to date by checking the linklist every so often.

If you are a mod, please sticky this thread. Thank you! mrgreen
Current issues

Christianity

Neopaganism

Atheism, agnosticism, and LaVeyan Satanism

Other

Important non-M&R links

Threads marked with [#] were previously excellent threads but need to be redone. Also in this list are the abortion and evolution threads, which have a considerable overlap with the ED Main forum and other of the subfora. If you are particularly ambitious, please work on these threads and come up with a new OP.
Wishlist
This is to designate which threads "need" to be done. By this I mean those threads which come up quite frequently, or which service a sizable chunk of M&R, but do not have any decent infodump of an OP. Some of the threads above need to be redone completely, as noted by [#]. They were originally very good or otherwise generated a ton of discussion, but need more elaboration in the OP.

And without further ado, a list of topics that need to be "infodumped":

Catholicism (redo)
Protestant Christianity (Baptists, Evangelicals/Charismatics)
Judaism (Orthodox, Reform, Kabbalah)
Buddhism (Theravada, Mahayana, Tibetan) (redo)
Asatru (redo)
Abortion (redo)
Evolution (redo)
Jehovah's Witnesses
Discordianism
Gnosticism
Hinduism
Cultural rape amongst neopagans

If you have any suggestions on what should be added to this list, either post in this thread or PM me.

Miscellaneous threads
These are threads which were suggested or which were of particular interest when they came out, but otherwise just didn't make the cut for our purposes. Some of these are obviously not up-to-snuff; some serve a very small majority of Gaian users; some are repeats of much better threads that were included.

This should be considered a sampler of M&R's less-than-good topics of the past. All need to be taken with a grain of salt. There are some goodies as well as some baddies - but I'll never tell which is which! Go ahead and look around and find your favorites 3nodding

Islam: your FAQ
Shinto: The Way of the Gods
Common Misconception on Buddhism
Why do people get so mad when I tell them about Jesus?
Argue against Homosexual marriage without using the Bible.
Otherkin: Clearing the Air
What's so wrong with Tarot?
Are Pagans Really That Bad?
Cultural Rape among Neo-pagans
Wicca vs Christianity: WIRE CAGE MATCH!
FAQs about Presbyterians
Alternative Mormonism
If God forgives why is there a hell?
Why do you believe in God?
A witch's life
Agnosticism. The only truly educated answer?
How can a loving god send people to hell?
Dungeons and Dragons- The Devil's Game
What do you think of Vegetarianism?
"War on Scientology"
. : SIKHISM : . Let's Learn about Something Different!
Ask a Jew
PROTESTANTISM: Cause of subjectivism/moral relativism?
Why Atheism?
Muhammed the Liberator of Women
Ask a Freezone Scientologist
This post is to commemorate the awesomeness of Boxy. And also to point out the very lonely floating ] bracket in the first post. That you apparently already corrected sweatdrop

If this post is interrupting anything, please tell me sweatdrop I've been waiting to see if any other posts were going to be made before this.
error[dot]exe
This post is to commemorate the awesomeness of Boxy. And also to point out the very lonely floating ] bracket in the first post. That you apparently already corrected sweatdrop

If this post is interrupting anything, please tell me sweatdrop I've been waiting to see if any other posts were going to be made before this.
Nay, forsooth. I've already planned out the rest of the thread (wishlist for future threads, "graveyard" of "retired" threads that didn't make the list).

Oh, yeah. I should probably PM Shaviv to sticky this, shouldn't I? sweatdrop
Boxy
error[dot]exe

Nay, forsooth. I've already planned out the rest of the thread (wishlist for future threads, "graveyard" of "retired" threads that didn't make the list).

Oh, yeah. I should probably PM Shaviv to sticky this, shouldn't I? sweatdrop

Yarly, you should. Hopefully it'll clear things up a bit. And if people post repeats anyway, we can direct them to this thread to find one that already addresses their discussion.

It'll also make my subscription list cleaner. sweatdrop

edit: I just realized how many sweat drops we've used.

Tally record of sweaty individuals, starting now.
All right! We're open for business!

If you have any favorite threads you would like to add to this list, just mention it here. I'll take care of it in short order 3nodding

If you have any "wishlist" threads you would like added, go ahead and mention those, too. We can add those and figure out what's the most popular thread in need of doing 3nodding

Yeesh, err - you're making me nod all the time now xd
Boxy
All right! We're open for business!

If you have any favorite threads you would like to add to this list, just mention it here. I'll take care of it in short order 3nodding

If you have any "wishlist" threads you would like added, go ahead and mention those, too. We can add those and figure out what's the most popular thread in need of doing 3nodding

Yeesh, err - you're making me nod all the time now xd

Don't give yourself Shaken Baby Syndrome.
And now for some flags to commemorate the sticky.

You can take your pick for which you prefer blaugh

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
As this:Culture rape among neo-pagans was my thread I was just wondering what could have been done to make it a better discussion and up to the other standards?
Lamentus
Awesomely stickied,
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/discordianism-unexplained-and-mystified/t.43235303/ for discordianism
The Discordianism thread is just a joke. I know the religion is just a joke, but I'd prefer to some sort of neutrality on the subject. Maybe someone acknowledging that the joke is a religion disguised as a joke? I suppose that's what I'm looking for 3nodding

Lamentus
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/voodoo-updated-25th-august/t.43000969/
voodoo
Do these make the grade?
I can't imagine that there's a very large Voodoo-practicing body of Gaians. Or at least, they don't seem to hang out here. Interesting, though. I'd like the Voodoo thread redone, citing its sources and expanded to encompass the various practices associated with it (Santeria, Hoodoo, Yoruba tribal magic, etc.).

I have high standards. I guess that's what makes me elitist 4laugh
Boxy
Lamentus
Awesomely stickied,
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/discordianism-unexplained-and-mystified/t.43235303/ for discordianism
The Discordianism thread is just a joke. I know the religion is just a joke, but I'd prefer to some sort of neutrality on the subject. Maybe someone acknowledging that the joke is a religion disguised as a joke? I suppose that's what I'm looking for 3nodding

Lamentus
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/voodoo-updated-25th-august/t.43000969/
voodoo
Do these make the grade?
I can't imagine that there's a very large Voodoo-practicing body of Gaians. Or at least, they don't seem to hang out here. Interesting, though. I'd like the Voodoo thread redone, citing its sources and expanded to encompass the various practices associated with it (Santeria, Hoodoo, Yoruba tribal magic, etc.).

Never a bad thing, also Byaggha has done an amazing job of explaining buddhism here which would be perfect for an faq.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=13236645 maybe something like this should be for an faq.
Lamentus
Boxy
Lamentus
Awesomely stickied,

Lamentus
voodoo
Do these make the grade?

Never a bad thing, also Byaggha has done an amazing job of explaining buddhism here which would be perfect for an faq.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=13236645 maybe something like this should be for an faq.

Not sure it technically counts, since it's not in the M&R, and the links for things outside the M&R are considered pretty general.
error[dot]exe
Lamentus
Boxy
Lamentus
Awesomely stickied,

Lamentus
voodoo
Do these make the grade?

Not sure it technically counts, since it's not in the M&R, and the links for things outside the M&R are considered pretty general.
Ahh I was more meaning a request to make an M&R Faq out of it, I'd say its pretty comprehensive, and it meets peoples standards maybe a bit more about the schools. But I think its got everything an FAQ needs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff