Welcome to Gaia! ::

Neko Wyndy Wytch
As this:Culture rape among neo-pagans was my thread I was just wondering what could have been done to make it a better discussion and up to the other standards?
I haven't forgotten about you, Wendy. I suppose this thread will be feedback for questions like, "How can I make my thread better?" xp

The main complaint I would have about your thread is the OP. Strong threads need strong OPs, since that's what people are going to read first and foremost. Many people just read the OP then skip to the last page to quote the whole dang thing for a comment on just one line.

The best way to strengthen this is subdividing your OP into a number of different examples of cultural rape. For example, showing SRW bastardizing any and every religion known to man. Perhaps breaking down the thread into Pseudo-Wiccan Appropriation and Reconstructionist Appropriation. The OP seems disjointed, jumping from one topic to another (for example, from reconstructionism to eclectic pseudo-Wicca to shamanism). You seem to be assuming that your reader is intimately aware of the kind of bastardization that goes around in neopagan circles. For non-pagans, this is completely untrue. Cite examples to include ignorant readers (make them entertaining so the oldbies will be happy, too 4laugh )

Basically, I would love to see OPs in M&R to be article-quality and quotable in mid-thread. "No, see here - you're missing this one section in the OP that talks about precisely that..." I've tried to do this with a number of my infodumps ("Hell - Do You Know What The Hell It is" comes to mind), but alas and alack they tend to get swallowed up by the great blue yonder that is M&R.

Anyone else want comments on their threads? sweatdrop
Lamentus
Ahh I was more meaning a request to make an M&R Faq out of it, I'd say its pretty comprehensive, and it meets peoples standards maybe a bit more about the schools. But I think its got everything an FAQ needs.
I suppose we might be able to ask Byaggha to make a new one in M&R. I would only ask her to remove the bits and pieces about her own personal life.

Really, I want to see a revision of Gavriel's Buddhist FAQ that I posted in the OP. My main complaint with it is that it was abandoned by the author, and over the course of several site revisions a lot of the code is screwy. But hey, if somebody wants to morph Byaggha's FAQ with Gavriel's and make it look pretty, I'd be pretty happy 4laugh

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Ah ok! *nods*
Boxy, your "Non-M&R Thread" link section needs a link to Things I learned in M&R.

Which rule is it that says I will never get a post on the first page of a topic I want?

Edit: It was rule #37.
TeaDidikai
Boxy, your "Non-M&R Thread" link section needs a link to Things I learned in M&R.
Good mods, this is the most correct suggestion ever. I must change the OP presently and herewith! *zoom*

TeaDidikai
Which rule is it that says I will never get a post on the first page of a topic I want?

It is #37. Silly Tea 4laugh

Now I have another project I should clean up xd
Good job.

But I think you should change the intro part to the Miscellaneous thread part.

Only because my thread is not retired. If someone posts I will reply.

Or you should include some where in there that all the thread haven't retired. If there is interest then the OP's will reply.

Thank you.

Oh.........and it would be nice to see a a section where people can suggest threads (on some ground rules of course) of the past that should be put up here. Then in the future someone can review these threads and you can include them in one of the sections above.

Thank you again.
And sorry for the trouble.
Pheonixia

Or you should include some where in there that all the thread haven't retired. If there is interest then the OP's will reply.

Thank you.
That's a good suggestion. A number of people have commented that "Graveyard" was too... negative for our purposes. It worked out great in the idea stage 3nodding

Pheonixia
Oh.........and it would be nice to see a a section where people can suggest threads (on some ground rules of course) of the past that should be put up here. Then in the future someone can review these threads and you can include them in one of the sections above.

Thank you again.
That's what this thread is for 3nodding I should probably clarify what my standards are, though sweatdrop
TeaDidikai

You have no idea how tempting it was for me to add in "Also, first." to my initial post.

Srsly.
Boxy
Pheonixia

Thank you.
That's a good suggestion. A number of people have commented that "Graveyard" was too... negative for our purposes. It worked out great in the idea stage 3nodding

Pheonixia

Thank you again.
That's what this thread is for 3nodding I should probably clarify what my standards are, though sweatdrop

Thank you.

lol watch me go all crazy posting people's threads up here now........

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Now to get one of these for the ED... scream
linaloki

Good luck herding cats.

It's easier with sub forums because they don't move nearly as fast and they have more specific subject matter.
error[dot]exe
linaloki

Good luck herding cats.

It's easier with sub forums because they don't move nearly as fast and they have more specific subject matter.
Hey, I'll just use the same rough algorithm that I did whilst sorting through M&R.

*scratches beard* I think I'll do it. Next project, ho! pirate

[Update] I've sorted through 100 pages (roughly 4,000 threads) in the ED Main forum, and I'm only through early July 2008. I might have to go back 200 pages at the very least and then give up; ED just moves too quickly to dig back any more than a year or so.

The most common topics seem to be either on sexuality issues or religion. It seems that all of the large threads in ED can be sorted into any one of the subforums, except perhaps the threads on homosexuality / abortion / evolution. Those three topics seem to permeate every single forum, and there is no real division between any of the subforums.

[Update] I've just sorted through another 50 pages (another 2,000 threads) in the ED Main forum. I finally cracked into May! YAY! I'll probably be splitting up the threads into five divisions: one for current issues (abortion, homosexuality, and evolution) and one for each of the subforums. That seems to be the most sensible division possible.

[Update] Another 50 pages down. I'm up to 200 pages back in the ED Main forum. We're into the middle of April, which is a good five and a half months ago. I'm going to say that that's good enough for our purposes and start sorting out the important topics 3nodding

It's coming, linaloki. You asked for it 3nodding

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Boxy
error[dot]exe
linaloki

Good luck herding cats.

Hey, I'll just use the same rough algorithm that I did whilst sorting through M&R.

*scratches beard* I think I'll do it. Next project, ho! pirate

[Update] I've sorted through 100 pages (roughly 4,000 threads) in the ED Main forum, and I'm only through early July 2008. I might have to go back 200 pages at the very least and then give up; ED just moves too quickly to dig back any more than a year or so.

The most common topics seem to be either on sexuality issues or religion. It seems that all of the large threads in ED can be sorted into any one of the subforums, except perhaps the threads on homosexuality / abortion / evolution. Those three topics seem to permeate every single forum, and there is no real division between any of the subforums.

[Update] I've just sorted through another 50 pages (another 2,000 threads) in the ED Main forum. I finally cracked into May! YAY! I'll probably be splitting up the threads into five divisions: one for current issues (abortion, homosexuality, and evolution) and one for each of the subforums. That seems to be the most sensible division possible.

[Update] Another 50 pages down. I'm up to 200 pages back in the ED Main forum. We're into the middle of April, which is a good five and a half months ago. I'm going to say that that's good enough for our purposes and start sorting out the important topics 3nodding

It's coming, linaloki. You asked for it 3nodding

If it does, there is much love coming your way. If it gets stickied, I'm totally giving you the monies. I've been asking for a "Big, authoritative threads" sticky for ages... That'd help ED immensely, I believe.

>.> If at least two of my threads don't make it, though, I'll be emo sad.
Good job Boxy!

Hmmm, I'm seriously thinking about making a Hinduism infodump thread now.
To: linaloki
Date: 19 Sept 2008
Re: ED Linklist

Linklist is up.

Remember Rule #0 kids - Boxy is made of win 3nodding

[Edit] What the bloody hell. They put it in a Q&A subforum. linaloki will be ever so peeved gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff