Welcome to Gaia! ::

Zealot

I can't say I find either of them particularly convincing.
I find the title of the debate to be rather lacking. I mean, what about moral realism? It's not like moral realism is the same as moral absolutism:http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_realism.html

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_absolutism.html
Nerdologist
Is it possible to define "ultimately functional for a society" in a manner which applies equally well to all societies, or do different societies function in different ways, connected only by a family resemblance?

I think it is most likely possible, as every human society that has ever existed consists of the same human species living in the same universe. It's not like we're apt to find a society where the laws of physics don't apply, or where decapitation makes you live longer, or where suicide at age 8 increases one's reproductive fitness. I don't claim to have omniscient knowledge of such a definition, but I think someone working with enough information would probably be able to accomplish it.

Quote:
Even if there is some universal societal function, you will need to explain how it necessarily relates to an objective morality.

Indeed. Firstly, I just want to clarify that morality as a function of society was brought up by another poster and doesn't fully describe how I personally view morality: for me, there is a spiritual aspect to it as well. That being said, I will answer within the confines of the current discussion.

With that in mind, I think the answer to your question follows from your prior one. If it's the case that human societies on this planet in this universe are all bound in common by certain rules, then it follows that some elements of human behavior are going to have a net positive or net negative effect on a given society. If that is indeed the case, then certain moral propositions with regard to those behaviors are going to be always true.

For instance, the relativist might say that whether suicide on the 8th birthday is moral is relative to that action's function in the society in which it takes place. However, the observer with absolute knowledge may conclude that such an act is always ultimately deleterious to any society in which it takes place, even if a given society thinks that it is of benefit (in which case, that society would simply be wrong about whether the action benefits them.) Thus, the proposition that suicide on the 8th birthday is deleterious to society would refer to an objective feature of the world, making it a universal moral truth.

Once this happened, and it was established that the set of universal moral truths is nonempty, then the question would shift from whether or not the set is empty to what belongs in the set. In which case, we'd know objective morality exists and the question would be what that system is.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the above as well as patterns in the history of human moral thought lead me to believe that the set of objective moral propositions is likely nonempty.

Quote:
How would you derive normative statements from descriptions of the behaviors required to sustain a culture?

I don't try to derive normative ethics from descriptive ethics, and I don't know why anyone would try to do it that way. It seems like a rather silly way to go about doing things and runs one head-on into the is-ought problem, which perhaps was your intent in an attempt to frustrate me. But I digress.

Descriptive ethics describe mores, not morality. Attempting to derive morality from mores conflates the two.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Mooby the Golden Sock
Again, you may say that the proposition might be functional for Culture A but nonfunctional for Culture B, since a volcano human sacrifice ritual might be important for keeping the peace in Culture B. But again, if our hypothetical researcher had all the available information, she or he could determine whether such a sacrifice ritual itself is ultimately functional for a society, and then this would determine whether Culture A or Culture B has the correct view on the subject.

Is it possible to define "ultimately functional for a society" in a manner which applies equally well to all societies, or do different societies function in different ways, connected only by a family resemblance? Even if there is some universal societal function, you will need to explain how it necessarily relates to an objective morality. How would you derive normative statements from descriptions of the behaviors required to sustain a culture?
IronySandwich
It is not enough to simply say such a system can't be disproven, you actually have to show some shred of evidence of an objective moral standard independant of people and society actually existing, and you have not done that.

I'm not arguing that a fully objective moral standard exists. I'm arguing that it is not established that morality is entirely subjective. You're arguing that it is indeed entirely subjective; thus, the burden of proof is on you. I have already provided multiple sources for the reasons why I do not accept your claim, and you have not refuted any of them. You have provided zero sources to support yours.

IronySandwich
Now, let's take another example. Suppose you are at a point where exactly 50% of the moral researchers on earth believe that capital punishment is morally permissible. Where exactly is the standard that will allow these groups to move towards the same conclusion regardless of their cultural values, biases, or personal feelings towards the matter?

I don't know what hypothetical criteria our hypothetical researchers would have in a hypothetical situation because, alas, it is entirely hypothetical.

Again, even if these hypothetical researchers of yours do not currently know of a standard does not mean the standard is nonexistent. Were that actually the case, pretty much all of chemistry, biology, and physics would have been declared "subjective" thousands of years ago. You are conflating what is knowable with what is known, and knowledge with existence.

[quote[You are trying to assert that it does, and that requires you to, like any good scientist, SHOW YOUR WORK.
I already did, and you have not refuted a single point. You have also not provided a single shred of evidence to support your claims, despite the fact that you are making the ontologically stronger claim. Again, stop trying to shift the burden of proof.

Also, your comment above is a straw man. I am not "trying to assert" my position; I am asserting it. My position is not that that an objective moral system does indeed exist; it is that it is more likely than not that there exists 1 or more objective moral standards, but I am not explicitly identifying what those are. As you may recall, this is an example of non-constructive existential quantification, which is valid logical reasoning. Again, I have cited sources in prior posts supporting the arguments for said existential quantification. Again, you have not even attempted to refute any of them, nor have you provided a single shred of evidence to support your claim to moral relativism.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
IronySandwich
Nerdologist
IronySandwich
What humans believed has no impact whatsoever on reality. However, because they were using a standard which actually is objective, they moved to a single conclusion regardless of their starting point. Those who firmly believed in geocentricism, and yet adhered to the idea that they must follow the evidence, were eventually won over by the weight of evidence against them, as happens when you are dealing with issues of objective reality and not subjective values or preferences.

What objective (mind-independent) standard were they using? Subjectivity is not limited to values and preferences; it encompasses every aspect of the subject's experience and mental processes.

Well, they were mostly using experiments with falling objects on earth, measures of movement of stellar objects, and mathematics. That's not really "subjective" unless you want to get into solipsism or brain-in-a-jar thoughts or the like, and if you do then I'm going to ignore you on the grounds that you don't exist.

I don't have to get into solipsism to call empirical research a subjective activity.
Nerdologist
IronySandwich
What humans believed has no impact whatsoever on reality. However, because they were using a standard which actually is objective, they moved to a single conclusion regardless of their starting point. Those who firmly believed in geocentricism, and yet adhered to the idea that they must follow the evidence, were eventually won over by the weight of evidence against them, as happens when you are dealing with issues of objective reality and not subjective values or preferences.

What objective (mind-independent) standard were they using? Subjectivity is not limited to values and preferences; it encompasses every aspect of the subject's experience and mental processes.

Well, they were mostly using experiments with falling objects on earth, measures of movement of stellar objects, and mathematics. That's not really "subjective" unless you want to get into solipsism or brain-in-a-jar thoughts or the like, and if you do then I'm going to ignore you on the grounds that you don't exist.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
IronySandwich

Mooby the Golden Sock
Ok, so let's rewind back to the hypothetical point in history when exactly 50% of researchers believed that the Earth revolves around the sun and 50% did not. Was the Earth's revolution around the sun relative at that point? If the Italians believed it did and the French believed it did not, was it true for Italy and not for France? Was the Earth's revolution a human construct until the majority of people agreed upon it?

Now, let's take another example. Suppose you are at a point where exactly 50% of the moral researchers on earth believe that capital punishment is morally permissible. Where exactly is the standard that will allow these groups to move towards the same conclusion regardless of their cultural values, biases, or personal feelings towards the matter?

Again, it is not enough for you to simply point out that such a system might exist, or that, like leprechauns, it's existence can't be disproved. You are trying to assert that it does, and that requires you to, like any good scientist, SHOW YOUR WORK.
Mooby the Golden Sock
All I have to show is that it's likely that the set is nonempty, and I have already made the argument.

You are trying to pretend that it is enough to simply assert that such a thing can't be disproven. Let me list some other things that can't be disproven: leprechauns, faeries, dragons, magic, bigfoot, manbearpig, Justin Beiber's talent.

It is not enough to simply say such a system can't be disproven, you actually have to show some shred of evidence of an objective moral standard independant of people and society actually existing, and you have not done that. Once again, no, the fact that there are objective standards which can inform moral choices is not the same as an objective moral code. Once again, that is the same as claiming objective properties of scales means there is an objective "good music" code. Once again, you have provided no argument whatsoever to counter this.
Lucky~9~Lives
Mooby the Golden Sock
IronySandwich
No. Relativistic does not mean random, or unaffected by reality. Certain moral systems simply work better than others, and so they become more prominent. This does not imply an objective moral standard exists, merely that moral standards adopted by a culture must be functional in order to spread. It is in a sense natural selection on a larger scale.

You just undermined your entire point. If one moral system works better than others, it means that there must be some sort of property to morality beyond human construction.

Except "works better" is being used to mean "is more functional in a culture that adopts it" - and culture is not independent of human construction.

That's only true if what is "functional" for a culture is purely a human construct, which does not jive with reality. In reality, us humans are constrained by an external universe. If several cultures determine that it is not functional to go swimming in magma and determine that it is immoral to push your neighbor into an active volcano, that's a moral proposition based in an objective property of the external universe, not in a human construct.

You may argue that Culture B might not decide to call such an act immoral, but it still poses a problem: because you've now entangled morality with functionality, it would be hypothetically possible for someone with all the relevant information to determine whether it is more functional to a culture to hold that moral principle or not. In essence, there is a "right" answer to the question that is determined by something outside of human construction.

Again, you may say that the proposition might be functional for Culture A but nonfunctional for Culture B, since a volcano human sacrifice ritual might be important for keeping the peace in Culture B. But again, if our hypothetical researcher had all the available information, she or he could determine whether such a sacrifice ritual itself is ultimately functional for a society, and then this would determine whether Culture A or Culture B has the correct view on the subject.

Extrapolating from this, our hypothetical researcher could determine whether every moral proposition is correct, incorrect, or arbitrary (such as the most moral color to pain the town's flagpoles,) and each set would be nonempty. At which point, it would simply be a matter of uncovering what is in the first two sets, and our findings would constitute absolute moral principles.

IronySandwich
So, with this are you implying that artistic value is objective? I certainly hope not.

I am asserting that at least some objective standards exist, and I cited sources to back up my case with regards to music. In addition, I mentioned that the same standards apply to paintings and pictures as well. Scientists have even found how to predict whether a face will be considered attractive or not. Despite the conventional wisdom that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and, presumably, taste), the fact is that most beholders have pretty similar eyes.

IronySandwich
Artistic taste is a classic example of something that is subjective, but not random. The golden ratio, scales, etc. are tastes we observe as being somewhat universal among humans, but they do not imply some objective "good art" system outside of human preference, merely that the preferences of humans are somewhat predictable.

They imply that there are at least some objective properties of the universe that set the standards for what constitute "goodness."

Humans did not get together and decide that the golden ratio is pretty; the golden ratio is woven into nature itself. Intelligent aliens living billions of light years away would have the golden ratio everywhere on their planet just as we do, and would almost certainly use it in their art and architecture.

Pitch is related to frequency, and is not restricted to humans. Researchers have found that dogs have at least some sense of what constitutes good music. We didn't sit down and invent a construct of music; our perception of music is determined by physics.

IronySandwich
Again, does the fact that a certain style of music will produce consistently better results than another argue for the fact of an objective "good music" code?

Yes, absolutely. To conclude that A produces consistently better results than B requires me to concede that A and/or B have at least one property that exists independent of my own thoughts and perceptions as an observer. And "existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality" is the very definition of objective.

Quote:
I never said researchers always come to the same conclusion, merely that there is a strong tendency for them to do so.

Ok then, it is not the case that that "independent scientific researchers almost always come to the same conclusion," because in the majority of cases there's at least some dissenting voices. It's probably much more correct to say that it's almost never (if ever) the case that all independent researchers will come to the same conclusion.

Quote:
No one today argues against the idea that the earth spins, or that it revolves around the sun, or that the force of gravity which effects us on earth is the same one which effects the rest of the cosmos. Those were all matters of debate, but the debates were settled because there were ways of objectively observing which ideas were correct.

Ok, so let's rewind back to the hypothetical point in history when exactly 50% of researchers believed that the Earth revolves around the sun and 50% did not. Was the Earth's revolution around the sun relative at that point? If the Italians believed it did and the French believed it did not, was it true for Italy and not for France? Was the Earth's revolution a human construct until the majority of people agreed upon it?

Quote:
And yes, a few hundred years ago there was less evidence of an objective reality available to people than there is today. I'm not sure how you think saying "people from a more ignorant time could have thought differently" is a good argument.

That's because that's not my argument. That's your straw man of my argument. My argument is that your argument is invalid on the grounds that it is an argument from ignorance. Pointing out the scientific ignorance of centuries past only illustrates this point, because we can see today that if they had used a similar argument to yours based on their ignorance, they would have been incorrect. Similarly, you are making your argument from a position of ignorance, and it is equally fallacious.

Quote:
So, again, if morality is objective, where is the system of thought which exploits that and consistently produces similar results when used by independent researchers with different biases? Where is the system under which these results can be tested and independently verified? Where is the broad and ever-converging moral consensus?

My position only requires me to assert that such a system is hypothetically possible to discover at some point in the universe's timeline, not that we have already done so. Your position requires you to assert that such a system does not exist and thus will never be found.

All I have to show is that it's likely that the set is nonempty, and I have already made the argument. To review, my argument is that there are independent properties of the universe that inform our judgements, function for a culture is related to things beyond the scope of the culture itself, and trends in the history of morality suggest that there exist at least some moral propositions that fit such function and are being independently discovered by various cultures.

Your argument is... what, exactly? That we haven't reached 100% agreement yet? Sure, I can buy that, but how do you know that we are not simply at the pre-Galileo stage in our moral development?

In other words, is it accurate to say that your argument is, "We have not found it yet, therefore we will never find it?" If it is indeed accurate, then how do you know the part after the comma is true?
I'm not sure that that question is resolvable.

An objective moral system may be either knowable or unknowable, and subjective moral values may or may not coexist with objective ones, though if they did coexist they would certainly be only compulsions, and hardly absolute.
Alluring_Mystique
IronySandwich
Alluring_Mystique
IronySandwich
Alluring_Mystique

were talking about murder here...if person C finds happiness in the harm and permanent ending of a persons life then i sense a bit of sociopathy or psychopathy going on in person C and in person A for the willing to commit bodily harm to a person just because person c doesnt like them. Person A killed someone if them going to jail causes them sadness they shouldve thought about that before they decided to permanently end someones life.

We have to start at the root of the problem it all started with one wronging, the murder. Wrong can never produce a right.

No one would really argue against the judgement that in this circumstance the murder was wrong, and imprisoning the murderer would be right. The point is that this conclusion does not follow from the argument you gave. You say that harming someone is wrong, and yet now you say that harming someone is right, because they caused harm in the past. You proposed a method for deciding if something is morally wrong, and yet now you are proposing an obvious moral right which is in direct contradiction of that method.

No wrong produces a right. It was wrong that the person killed someone and now they are being wronged by being thrown in jail for it. Everyone is responsible for their own actions and Karma is a b***h. Also just because that person is in jail doesnt mean the family is happy. It doesnt bring their loved one back.

So you're taking the position that imprisoning someone for murder is morally wrong then?

The only time throwing someone in jail is wrong is if they were innocent and didnt do anything. Person A is going to jail they are reaping the consequences of their actions. Being sad about it only further proves their mental illness. So because in their mind they feel they are being wronged for being thrown in jail doesnt mean that it is something wrong happening. Yes when you deliberately cause harm to someone via rape, murder, and jumping yes that is wrong because you caused sadness and bodily harm then it is wrong i still stand by that. If they are psychopathic enough to be sad that they are going to jail for something they did wrong they need to seek help and if person c was happy about another persons death they also need help.

Alright, this is a fairly straightforward example of the concept of social justice. But again, this causes harm to that person. Saying this is right directly contradicts your statements that causing harm is morally wrong, and that harm cannot result in a morally right action.

Social justice is often at odds with the harm principle. Both are often in conflict with the concept of fairness. Where is the objective moral code in all of this?

P.S. Person B was Timothy McVeigh.
IronySandwich
Alluring_Mystique
IronySandwich
Alluring_Mystique
IronySandwich
Alluring_Mystique
Wrong is when you cause harm/anguish/or sorrow to another individual. Right is when you do something that produces good feeling towards an individual. From a moral stand point.

Let's run with this a while.

Say person A murders person B. That's wrong because it caused harm to the person and sorrow to those who cared for them. Easy enough to accept so far.

Now let's say that some society wishes to imprison person A for committing murder. This is also a moral wrong because it causes harm and sorrow to person A.

Now lets say the reason person A murdered person B was because person B was really, really disliked by person C. By murdering person B, person A caused great happiness in person C, therefore his action was morally right.

Likewise, imprisoning person A causes happiness with person B's family, so that is a moral right.

This technique does not seem to be moving us towards any sort of objective judgement.

were talking about murder here...if person C finds happiness in the harm and permanent ending of a persons life then i sense a bit of sociopathy or psychopathy going on in person C and in person A for the willing to commit bodily harm to a person just because person c doesnt like them. Person A killed someone if them going to jail causes them sadness they shouldve thought about that before they decided to permanently end someones life.

We have to start at the root of the problem it all started with one wronging, the murder. Wrong can never produce a right.

No one would really argue against the judgement that in this circumstance the murder was wrong, and imprisoning the murderer would be right. The point is that this conclusion does not follow from the argument you gave. You say that harming someone is wrong, and yet now you say that harming someone is right, because they caused harm in the past. You proposed a method for deciding if something is morally wrong, and yet now you are proposing an obvious moral right which is in direct contradiction of that method.

No wrong produces a right. It was wrong that the person killed someone and now they are being wronged by being thrown in jail for it. Everyone is responsible for their own actions and Karma is a b***h. Also just because that person is in jail doesnt mean the family is happy. It doesnt bring their loved one back.

So you're taking the position that imprisoning someone for murder is morally wrong then?

The only time throwing someone in jail is wrong is if they were innocent and didnt do anything. Person A is going to jail they are reaping the consequences of their actions. Being sad about it only further proves their mental illness. So because in their mind they feel they are being wronged for being thrown in jail doesnt mean that it is something wrong happening. Yes when you deliberately cause harm to someone via rape, murder, and jumping yes that is wrong because you caused sadness and bodily harm then it is wrong i still stand by that. If they are psychopathic enough to be sad that they are going to jail for something they did wrong they need to seek help and if person c was happy about another persons death they also need help.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Alluring_Mystique
No wrong produces a right.

Sure they can. For example, while tragic, the abduction and murder of 9-year-old Amber Hagerman led to the institution of the AMBER Alert, to help try and prevent this same tragedy from happening to other children. To arbitrarily assert that no wrong produces a right completely underestimates the human race's ability to learn from mistakes.

Quote:
and Karma is a b***h.

There is no reason to believe that karma even exists in any shape or form. If you believe it does, then tell me what any victim of child rape has done to deserve this happening to them...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff