Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friend

Quote:
Matrixism, also referred to as "The path of the One," was primarily introduced in 2004. A website on Yahoo Geocities created by an anonymous source provided the basis for our belief. Matrixism is inspired by the Matrix trilogy and its associated stories (including the Animatrix). However, these stories are not the sole foundation. The ideals of Matrixism can be traced back to the early 1900s to "The Promulgation of Universal Peace" by Abdu'l-Baha.

Source

What are your thoughts on Matrixism?
It seems that it sounds good to begin with, but as one gets deeper, the notion gets poorer and poorer, until you wonder if there is an aim at all, and if you can expect an appearance from Tom Cruise.

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
Actually this can be traced back to platos allegory of the cave from which the matrix trilogy is derived originally. And it sounds fine and good, until you try to pit anything against it and realize just like the concept of a non-present creator god creationist concept it has no means of holding valid evidence either for, or against it. It's kinda a cop out of really understanding the world around us, and a cheap validation of potentially poor thought.
It's basically multiplayer solipsism, with all the weaknesses of the original, the biggest being that it makes no actual predictions.
Does it entail holding epic raves in dark underground bunker-caves with tribal drums and synthesizer, wearing revealing Pagan clothing including open robes and grass skirts, and dancing like horny monkeys every time an apocalypse theory is nearing its date of occurrence?

I'm in.

Dapper Reveler

Trollzors Vader
Actually this can be traced back to platos allegory of the cave from which the matrix trilogy is derived originally. And it sounds fine and good, until you try to pit anything against it and realize just like the concept of a non-present creator god creationist concept it has no means of holding valid evidence either for, or against it. It's kinda a cop out of really understanding the world around us, and a cheap validation of potentially poor thought.
aww for a second i thought you might have actually read the Republic : (

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
Avgvsto
Trollzors Vader
if you're refren,Ing what I think you are, and my memory could be poor as it's been a while, I did. Didn't care for it at the time though... Liked other things in that class a lot more.

Dapper Reveler

Trollzors Vader
Avgvsto
Trollzors Vader
if you're refren,Ing what I think you are, and my memory could be poor as it's been a while, I did. Didn't care for it at the time though... Liked other things in that class a lot more.
I like the humility and extreme passion of ancient thought. I think the main problem with today's thinkers is less so about intellect and more so about bravery.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
Trollzors Vader

Wow, for being one that is all about "understanding the world around us" and against things like "validating potentially poor thoughts" your post sure wasn't structured in a way that inspires any thought but shuns the exploration of one!(matrixism)

That being said, I find the whole idea of "matrixism" or this "allegory of the cave" to be unsatisfactory. I mean, personally I strive for meaning in my personal explorations. Knowing what exists is not so important to me as knowing why it exists (which I've actually developed quite a personalized approach to). Stating that the world is "the matrix" might be all well and good, but what does that ultimately say about reality? Does that answer any deeper questions? I mean, I personally love cosmology, but I'm much more interested in the more philosophic meaning behind the cosmology. But if you- the OP- are interested in matrixism, explore it. Ask questions, if it can't answer them, then by all means answer it yourself. I mean, it's a rather interesting concept that has actually gotten a bit of scientific focus over the last year, but what does it mean?

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
haruki_jitsunin
Trollzors Vader

Wow, for being one that is all about "understanding the world around us" and against things like "validating potentially poor thoughts" your post sure wasn't structured in a way that inspires any thought but shuns the exploration of one!(matrixism)

That being said, I find the whole idea of "matrixism" or this "allegory of the cave" to be unsatisfactory. I mean, personally I strive for meaning in my personal explorations. Knowing what exists is not so important to me as knowing why it exists (which I've actually developed quite a personalized approach to). Stating that the world is "the matrix" might be all well and good, but what does that ultimately say about reality? Does that answer any deeper questions? I mean, I personally love cosmology, but I'm much more interested in the more philosophic meaning behind the cosmology. But if you- the OP- are interested in matrixism, explore it. Ask questions, if it can't answer them, then by all means answer it yourself. I mean, it's a rather interesting concept that has actually gotten a bit of scientific focus over the last year, but what does it mean?
Why does anything need a reason to exist? Perhaps the greatest discovery isn't why we exist, but that we do. Things don't need a deeper reason to exist. The general rules of the universe (math, physics, chemistry...) will continue to function in the same way, without reason.

Why can be a very wonderful question to ask, especially when you ask it aout the right thing, but demanding there be a nice reason to go along with why when it isn't actually there is dangerous.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
Trollzors Vader

Why does anything need a reason to exist? Perhaps the greatest discovery isn't why we exist, but that we do. Things don't need a deeper reason to exist. The general rules of the universe (math, physics, chemistry...) will continue to function in the same way, without reason.

Why can be a very wonderful question to ask, especially when you ask it aout the right thing, but demanding there be a nice reason to go along with why when it isn't actually there is dangerous.

Personally, because I am not math, I am not physics, I am not chemistry and yet I exist because of and in tandem to them. Yet I can think, I can ask questions, they cannot. Why? Reason and this beautifully-complicated desire for explanation is- for me- a core trait. I could go ahead and drown my mind in logic, in order, but I've done that before. It wasn't interesting(it was though really informative). And now I prefer to ask why about everything. Simply because once I gathered all the order that I could; once I collected all the systems and theories my mind could devour, I found myself wanting. I felt this ever-present, intangible, inexplicable void that exists despite all of these pulchritudinous systems (yes, I am using that word simply because I love the fact that I know it) There exists this humming desire, this yearning vibration that permeated my existence at an exponentially deeper level than any of these systems could reach. So I ask the universe and all these well-honed theories why. Usually these personalized truths- with respect the more absolute truths- definitely help me explore this burning, this humming.

Oh, and I don't feel that asking questions is dangerous. I mean, sure they can expose existential pitfalls, but who says you can't learn lessons from these pitfalls? Who says you can't use these gaps in these logical understandings to help you grow as a thinking, individual? Theories are great frameworks, but don't explain everything.

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
haruki_jitsunin
Trollzors Vader

Personally, because I am not math, I am not physics, I am not chemistry and yet I exist because of and in tandem to them. Yet I can think, I can ask questions, they cannot. Why? Reason and this beautifully-complicated desire for explanation is- for me- a core trait. I could go ahead and drown my mind in logic, in order, but I've done that before. It wasn't interesting(it was though really informative). And now I prefer to ask why about everything. Simply because once I gathered all the order that I could; once I collected all the systems and theories my mind could devour, I found myself wanting. I felt this ever-present, intangible, inexplicable void that exists despite all of these pulchritudinous systems (yes, I am using that word simply because I love the fact that I know it) There exists this humming desire, this yearning vibration that permeated my existence at an exponentially deeper level than any of these systems could reach. So I ask the universe and all these well-honed theories why. Usually these personalized truths- with respect the more absolute truths- definitely help me explore this burning, this humming.

Oh, and I don't feel that asking questions is dangerous. I mean, sure they can expose existential pitfalls, but who says you can't learn lessons from these pitfalls? Who says you can't use these gaps in these logical understandings to help you grow as a thinking, individual? Theories are great frameworks, but don't explain everything.
By all means ask away. It is creating answers without anything it a question to back them up that is dangerous. I would disagree with you, that you are in fact math, physics, and chemistry. Your very existence consists of these fundamental principals as does all things. It sure doesn't make anyone feel special about themselves, but it is a conclusion based in reason, and evidence.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
Trollzors Vader
By all means ask away. It is creating answers without anything it a question to back them up that is dangerous. I would disagree with you, that you are in fact math, physics, and chemistry. Your very existence consists of these fundamental principals as does all things. It sure doesn't make anyone feel special about themselves, but it is a conclusion based in reason, and evidence.

That was actually really clever word play in your third sentence and actually agree with you, ultimately. But I feel as though you missed the point I was trying to make. The point was that yes, these systems do exist and are the foundation of me yet I exist somehow separate or somehow convinced I am separate. It is that necessary divorce of this individual mind from reality that not only allows us to form things like logic, but also extend this individual mind into unexplored areas. Why not go exploring?

However, It is not that I support crystallizing untested information as factual (although I can definitely see why you as a more logically-oriented mind would immediately understand it thusly). It just seems to me that throwing everything that is not explained into the "yet to be explained" mental box seems about as lazy as throwing it into a "god of all gaps" box. And I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a lazy person. Thought is great, questioning is great, so long as you're willing to be proven wrong. And it's not about "feeling special" for oneself, moreso about being discontent with relying on religion or science for a full, vibrant understanding of my reality.

So yeah, I definitely feel questioning is a great thing. What I don't feel is a great thing is mistaking personal truths for absolute truths without a scientific process.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff