Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been doing a very large extended study on this symbol of the triple goddess. I feel that it makes more sense and is a more spiritual guide then The Christ. Are there any other believers of this Wiccan-like tradional practice that could enlighten me? Or maybe comparison or opinions?
Ello? O.o; I supose no one knows about the triple goddess or Wicca. x.x;
From my survey of much of mythology, it is a modern construction.
Pilot Will
Ello? O.o; I supose no one knows about the triple goddess or Wicca. x.x;

Please no bumping in ED and M&R. This forum tends to move slowly, so no need to bump. biggrin
Nuri

Is it? I had read books that were of the opinion that it was an ancient thing, dating back to the Venus statues. I think that's what those statues have been called.
To clarify: The Maiden, Mother, Crone triple goddess seems to be an invention of Robert Graves, based on some shoddy scholarship. Now, modernly, this is fine-but it doesn't really have a place in historical mythological/religious thought.

There were triple goddesses, but not of the Maiden/Mother/Crone variety, and not always of the construction that he tends to put out.

Blessed Friend

I recently saw this same discussion in a LiveJournal community. Since there were many more respondants than here, you may wish to read!

http://www.livejournal.com/community/nonfluffypagans/301107.html
TagraNar
Nuri

Is it? I had read books that were of the opinion that it was an ancient thing, dating back to the Venus statues. I think that's what those statues have been called.

The question is about the Maiden/Mother/Crone triple goddess.
That's one Goddess who would be considered a Great Mother.

Now there are triple goddess, and Goddesses that appear in triads, and there are goddess that could fit into that motif, but they generally don't meet together.

Smart Alex: I'm a member of that community smile

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Nuri

Brighid/Brigid/Bride/Brid/whatever way you feel is the appropriate way of spelling it is a fairly obvious choice for the triple goddess in history.
As a totally random note, I've heard of Artemis/Selene/Hecate being a triple goddess. From what I've heard, they are sort of three Goddesses in one. Nuri, can you verify that?
The Economy Devil
As a totally random note, I've heard of Artemis/Selene/Hecate being a triple goddess. From what I've heard, they are sort of three Goddesses in one. Nuri, can you verify that?

They can be put together as such, and it would actually be historically accurate. Again, not as the Maiden/Mother/Crone construction, but as three Goddesses who melt together. Although Hekate herself is a 3-faced goddess at times.

Reagun:But is she a maiden/mother/crone? The celts on LJ seem to disagree, but I'd like to hear all sides.
Well, I haven't done extensive studying into this just yet, but I have done some. The cycles of the moon are said to represent the cycle you ask about in this post, as does the wheel of the year. The stages are always cyclical, and about being in tune with those cycles. Women, especially, know about lunar-based cycles all too well. =P It's in their blood... literally.

The maiden age, yearly, is during the springtime. The mother age, yearly, is during the late spring to early autumn. The crone age, yearly, is over the winter months. If I remember right (chuckles). Someone might want to double check this with a refferenced source.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Starlock
Women, especially, know about lunar-based cycles all too well. =P It's in their blood... literally.

As a note, only some religions pair women and the moon. Several others, among them the Japanese and Norse religions, pair women with the sun and men with the moon.

Women's menstrual cycles do not necessarily follow the pattern of the moon, nor are they necessarily the length of a lunar month. Women who live together tend to syncronize, though, which can give the illusion of one universal timing of the menstrual cycle where one does not exist.
Deoridhe
Starlock
Women, especially, know about lunar-based cycles all too well. =P It's in their blood... literally.

As a note, only some religions pair women and the moon. Several others, among them the Japanese and Norse religions, pair women with the sun and men with the moon.

Women's menstrual cycles do not necessarily follow the pattern of the moon, nor are they necessarily the length of a lunar month. Women who live together tend to syncronize, though, which can give the illusion of one universal timing of the menstrual cycle where one does not exist.

I wish my menstrul cycle was exactly 28 days, and regular like that. Man, that would be nice.
Nuri
Deoridhe
Starlock

I wish my menstrul cycle was exactly 28 days, and regular like that. Man, that would be nice.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that *everyone's* is, but generally it follows the lunar cycle. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff