Do you have a patron God or Goddess?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 27, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
<< < 1 2 ... 33 34 35

Manhattan
Triste Morningstar
Yeah, I have quite a mouth. xd Sorry.

Slaine - I think in the context of religions, it makes sense. Furthermore, if belief in magic and the gods waned, the power of magic might wane too. Furthermore, knowledge of how to use... super magic... might also become hard/impossible to find.

It's quite all right.

"You cannot achieve what you cannot conceive."

Good point. 3nodding

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
I think there is a very subtle difference between magic and psychic ability. I'm not sure where I feel the line lies, though...
SlaineWildfire
I think there is a very subtle difference between magic and psychic ability. I'm not sure where I feel the line lies, though...

Agreed. Most assurdly. Even more is the line between mystic and magic.

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Nuri
SlaineWildfire

Agreed. Most assurdly. Even more is the line between mystic and magic.

Right. But what is that line? Where does something become magic, and where is it psychism, and where is it mystical?

I always thought of mysticism as something like... Divination, maybe. Or like, experiences with the divine are mystical, you know what I mean?

It's so hard to try to define the experiences we have, though.
SlaineWildfire

I always thought of mysticism as something like... Divination, maybe. Or like, experiences with the divine are mystical, you know what I mean?

That's where I put the line. But other people would call that magical.

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Nuri
SlaineWildfire

Maybe it's mean, but I've always sort of grouped mysticism in with New Age-ism. That's probably unfair, but it always seems that way to me.

I mean, healing with crystals seems both mystical and new-age-y. Reading tarot... Same thing. Past life regression, even.

Not to say that I don't believe in those things, because I do, but... I think they all exist in the category as "to be determined", you know? I mean, it's the kind of claims that you have to take with a grain of salt.
SlaineWildfire
Nuri
SlaineWildfire

Maybe it's mean, but I've always sort of grouped mysticism in with New Age-ism. That's probably unfair, but it always seems that way to me.

I mean, healing with crystals seems both mystical and new-age-y. Reading tarot... Same thing. Past life regression, even.

Not to say that I don't believe in those things, because I do, but... I think they all exist in the category as "to be determined", you know? I mean, it's the kind of claims that you have to take with a grain of salt.

Of course. UPG's are UPG's, they may not be the same for everyone. Not everyone in the ancient world thought the same thing of their Gods, and neither will we. I usually think of things that require a direct link with a God (which may or may not include divinivation, depends on the approach) as mystical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff