Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
Heilsan Allir,

This is the Lokeans and Asatru thread. It's a decidely long ED thread which originally posited the question of how Asatruar viewed Loki and Lokeans. Much discussion ensued and many interesting postings were had, until Server issues here at Gaia found much of the original dicussion lost to the vaguries of the Internet. So, the thread has been raised once again, and continues to be a venue for people to discuss the nature of Loki, and how Loki is viewed by Asatruar, as well as discussing the nature of the Gods and Goddesses of the Germanic Folk, as well as other relevant topics. Intelligent questions are welcomed, and we'll try and help out anyone with information where we can. I myself tend to frequent Gaia in sporadic fits and starts, but there are enough good Folk here to be able to assist you. If you're looking at information on Asatru, the following links may be of use to you (and saves asking basic questions, or provides additional information for more interesting questions smile ).

Wikipedia Entry on Asatru - The Wikipedia entry on Asatru. Has some good basic information as well as many links.

Raven Kindred - A Kindred in the USA, the Raven Kindred has a number of excellent articles and good information.

Viking Answer Lady - Want your questions answered? This is one of the most comprehensive sites which deals in not only esoteric matters, but also cultural and lifestyles of the Vikings. Highly recommended.

Irminsul Aettir - A large site which addresses many wide and varied concepts and ideas.

The Troth - US organisation. Very 'open' with regards worship of the Germanic Gods and Goddesses. Has had issues in the past of a great deal of eclecticism, but certainly a very good resource and accepting organisation.

Asatru Folk Assembly - US organisation. Much more Folkish organisation founded by Stephen McNallen. Some people have issues with Steve and the AFA due to people and organsiations that they have dealings with. Still, a good site, with lots of information.

Meadhall - US site with information on the gods and goddesses, Runes, and other bits and pieces.

Odin Dis - US site with emphasis on female link to Odhinn.

Wodens Harrow - US site dedicated to Odhinn and the Runes, and other related information.

Ver thu heil
I've seen this topic several times and when I finally wanted to check it out and see what it was I cant read the first page. Could some exlpain to me what the discussion here with in has mostlly been about?
.. Wow.. Been gone a million years and gaia eats the thread. How nice.

Well.. this used to be a thread about Lokeans.. those who believe in the Mischief God Loki, as well as the Asatru, whom I'm not going to try and catagorize, for I don't know much about them myself. But the main reason to group them together in such a way was because most Asatru get goosebumps from Lokeans, and it would be interesting to see how they reacted to each other..

There was a whole lot of stuff here, we even got a certain Loki to pop up himself a few times.. though, I know him personally and now he dispises Gaia, so I doubt that will happen again. Info wise, we got a lot of things.. why Loki DOESN'T like to be worshipped.. whole pages on runes and their workings.. general info on Loki himself.. FAQ about Asatru, Norse mythology in general, and the Eddas.. even deviated off a bit into necromancy and how the gods would look upon such a thing.

Lots of nice stuff, I must say, for being at least 100 pages long.. Of course, gaia ate it.

So.. now there's the option of starting over again, or, letting it rot to hell... And I'm guessing the later is gonna be the case.. seeing as I haven't been on in several months at a time, and have no idea about the others.. aside from Loki, who can't stay in the same room as a comp with a gaia screen.

But.. anything I can help you with, I'd be glad to. 3nodding

EDIT: And I'll start with this.

Table of Contents (in progress)

Links involving Norse mythology and Asatru [pg 2]
Wyrd and Orlog? [pg 3] (scroll down to Maze's 4th post)

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I'd wondered where Loki got to, but yes - the thread appears stripped. Maybe we can talk to Crys about making a new one... or I can make a new one, or something. I haven't seen Ulfrikr in ages either; it would be a shame if he were gone as well - a knowledgable man, that one.
wow... why am i so lost as to the point in this thread... i thought it was gonna be something interesting...
PaganWorship
wow... why am i so lost as to the point in this thread... i thought it was gonna be something interesting...

The thread used to be quite large.. And then Gaia took so big a chunk out of it even Tyr would wince. So now it's small and doesn't have all the info it had before.
wow....i've seen a few of these topics...Good for you!

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Astarielle01
wow....i've seen a few of these topics...Good for you!

....Good for us?

What in the nine worlds are you crowing about?
Dasair

So.. now there's the option of starting over again, or, letting it rot to hell... 3nodding

Hell or Hel? ~winks~

It's interesting, how anti-Loki so many Asatru can be. I know a ThorsGodhi, he's so uptight about the subject you can't even mention the name Loki in his house.

Why do so many Asatru forget that Loki was, for a long time, an important member of Asgard? I think the Eddas were slightly skewed when the Christian Monks translated them, you know, a little embellishment here and there to make Odin more of a YHVH figure and Loki more of a Devil.

It's not like Christian monks have a long history of keeping faithful translations.

Loki was Odin's blood brother after all. And in the beginning, everything he messed up, he made better. Sif's blond hair, turned to real gold, etc. There would be no wall around Asgard without him. Thor would have lost his hammer to the Giants...

So Loki went a little crazy. Eating the heart of an evil giantess(vanir?) will do that to a guy. Seems like everything could be avoided with some good family therapy.
TeaDidikai
Dasair

So.. now there's the option of starting over again, or, letting it rot to hell... 3nodding

Hell or Hel? ~winks~

It's interesting, how anti-Loki so many Asatru can be. I know a ThorsGodhi, he's so uptight about the subject you can't even mention the name Loki in his house.

Why do so many Asatru forget that Loki was, for a long time, an important member of Asgard? I think the Eddas were slightly skewed when the Christian Monks translated them, you know, a little embellishment here and there to make Odin more of a YHVH figure and Loki more of a Devil.

It's not like Christian monks have a long history of keeping faithful translations.

Loki was Odin's blood brother after all. And in the beginning, everything he messed up, he made better. Sif's blond hair, turned to real gold, etc. There would be no wall around Asgard without him. Thor would have lost his hammer to the Giants...

So Loki went a little crazy. Eating the heart of an evil giantess(vanir?) will do that to a guy. Seems like everything could be avoided with some good family therapy.

Depending on the Asatruar the reaction to Loki and Lokeans is different.. A former roomate was a one of Tyr's boys.. There was some rampant hatred toward Loki.. In fact he refused to tell me anything of Asatru as he was concerned I'd hook up with Loki in a heartbeat.

Also I've read one source that equates the binding of Loki to the binding of imagination and freedom under an opressive rule.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
We used to have a standing "Don't mention Loki" rule for newcommers because the food overcooked when he was mentioned offensively and casually a couple of times by a newcommer. Old time members and Kindred members toast him in Blot, though, and as one of Odin's I've become quite close to him. I can see why he wouldn't get along with Tyr or Thor, though, and thus why their ones might have problems. That isn't the case in our kindred, however.
I think I'm just gonna stick around, watch and learn from reading this thread.

question though:

Does any one have a link or a book they would recomend just on Norse Mythology? My BF's mother has an interesting book (not sure how much mythology is in it) about the history of the Viking's so I might have to give that a read any way.

My biology is pretty much from this region. So I'm interested in it. Not to mention I just happen to have a lustful thirst for knowlage regarding religions of the world. biggrin
Dasair
.. Wow.. Been gone a million years and gaia eats the thread. How nice.
You'd expect anything else?
Dasair

Well.. this used to be a thread about Lokeans.. those who believe in the Mischief God Loki, as well as the Asatru, whom I'm not going to try and catagorize, for I don't know much about them myself. But the main reason to group them together in such a way was because most Asatru get goosebumps from Lokeans, and it would be interesting to see how they reacted to each other..
Now I see why the title was combined.
Dasair

There was a whole lot of stuff here, we even got a certain Loki to pop up himself a few times.. though, I know him personally and now he dispises Gaia, so I doubt that will happen again. Info wise, we got a lot of things.. why Loki DOESN'T like to be worshipped.. whole pages on runes and their workings.. general info on Loki himself.. FAQ about Asatru, Norse mythology in general, and the Eddas.. even deviated off a bit into necromancy and how the gods would look upon such a thing.

Lots of nice stuff, I must say, for being at least 100 pages long.. Of course, gaia ate it.

So.. now there's the option of starting over again, or, letting it rot to hell... And I'm guessing the later is gonna be the case.. seeing as I haven't been on in several months at a time, and have no idea about the others.. aside from Loki, who can't stay in the same room as a comp with a gaia screen.

But.. anything I can help you with, I'd be glad to. 3nodding
I'm just gonna hang out, read, listen, watch, and learn.
Charity.l.bedell

question though:

Does any one have a link or a book they would recomend just on Norse Mythology? My BF's mother has an interesting book (not sure how much mythology is in it) about the history of the Viking's so I might have to give that a read any way.

My biology is pretty much from this region. So I'm interested in it. Not to mention I just happen to have a lustful thirst for knowlage regarding religions of the world. biggrin

Depends on how academic you want to get. You can buy copies of the Eddas. Some with better translations than others.

If you want a watered down book, try Norse Gods and Heros... I think that's the title. Been a long time since I picked it up.
TeaDidikai
Charity.l.bedell

question though:

Depends on how academic you want to get. You can buy copies of the Eddas. Some with better translations than others.

If you want a watered down book, try Norse Gods and Heros... I think that's the title. Been a long time since I picked it up.
Right now, I really just want a basic introduction as the only Gods I know the names of are Loki (a few months ago for some reason his name kept being whisperd over and over to me in my dreams.. in the middle of the dreams), Odin, and Thor only because their names are mentioned quite a-lot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff