Welcome to Gaia! ::

tan_chan
Shaviv
Kenichi_Kun

but our fossil record is still extremely incomplete.

Not relevant. We've seen evolution take place around us as well as in the laboratory.

You're talking about "how humans came to be." That's not the same as evolution! That's a question of history. However, the fossil record suggests very powerfully that modern H. sapiens is descended from an ancestral primate that also developed into the ape families.

Yes, the real conflict with christians is that the fossil record shows us humans didn't appear at the same time as everything else, which is contrary to genesis in the bible. With those two concepts opposing one another, they either have to drop their entire religious belief system that they've invested so much belief in since childhood, or just put off evolution as "only a theory." This is the only way for them to maintain balance and continuity with their beliefs.
It isn't, actually. The Bible doesn't say everything was created at the same time.
tan_chan
Shaviv
Kenichi_Kun

but our fossil record is still extremely incomplete.

Not relevant. We've seen evolution take place around us as well as in the laboratory.

You're talking about "how humans came to be." That's not the same as evolution! That's a question of history. However, the fossil record suggests very powerfully that modern H. sapiens is descended from an ancestral primate that also developed into the ape families.

Yes, the real conflict with christians is that the fossil record shows us humans didn't appear at the same time as everything else, which is contrary to genesis in the bible. With those two concepts opposing one another, they either have to drop their entire religious belief system that they've invested so much belief in since childhood, or just put off evolution as "only a theory." This is the only way for them to maintain balance and continuity with their beliefs.

I for one don't believe in the literal accounts of Genesis. however, I find it equally hard to believe that a monkey would ever turn into a man.
Kenichi_Kun

I for one don't believe in the literal accounts of Genesis. however, I find it equally hard to believe that a monkey would ever turn into a man.

At least pay attention.. as stated before:
monkeys did not turn into men.

And of course, it depends on what kind of christian you are, because everyone has their own interpretation of what they believe. I respect everyone's right to practice their own religion the way they want to. Yet, I don't respect those who deny evolution when they don't even understand it.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

tan_chan
Kenichi_Kun

At least pay attention.. as stated before:
monkeys did not turn into men.

And of course, it depends on what kind of christian you are, because everyone has their own interpretation of what they believe. I respect everyone's right to practice their own religion the way they want to. Yet, I don't respect those who deny evolution when they don't even understand it.
We are a product of evolution, whatever people want to believe. Why is it do you think over the years people have grown taller and lived longer on average? It's our way of evolving into our environment. You can't deny that the average height and life expactancy has been constantly rising.

People may say it's because we are eating better or whatever BS, but eating better is what enables us to evolve--what gives us the ability to adapt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff