Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Trickster

TagraNar
Well, the book I'm referring to is where I've mostly read about the similarities between Jesus and other godmen, so it might be an interesting read. It mentions Dionysus (sp?) quite often, and Nuri would be a good source of information for that, if I remember correctly. 3nodding
Yeah, I know he and Jesus had a lot of myth-alikeness as well, I remember Nuri doing the comparison once before. 3nodding
Byaggha
Yeah, I know he and Jesus had a lot of myth-alikeness as well, I remember Nuri doing the comparison once before. 3nodding

*nods* She's talked about doing a thread comparing the two, and I'd like to make a thread comparing all of the dying and ressurecting godmen.
Yes, Triste, I'm back. xd

I guess it bothered me when I read all the supposed similarities. I honestly can't remember what the website was, but it trouble me greatly. I talked to my mom and showed it to her, and she said maybe they were prophecies, or maybe Jesus appeared several times in history.

Either way, I still choose to worship Jesus...Being a Christian makes me happy, and I think religion should be a sense of comfort.

I can't help the reason why I question...it might not be the only reason. I don't know. All I want is answers.
well you know Noah's Arc well in some other history they say a great flood happened for 40 day's
Jesus's youth, as recounted in the gospels, does bear much similarity to Diyonisious and Mythras... Not so Orsis... the only link there is ressurection.

However, this plays well into into history of the age. Christianity, so long persecuted by Rome, became accpted and eventually wholly embraced by Rome in large part becuase of the enthusiastic support of the Roman army, which had many Mythras devotees who were more than happy to covert to the somwhat similar Chritianity, especially after Christianity adopte Mythran symbols, iconography, and mass/worship services.

So from Christian viewpoint, you could say that Christianity's Similarity to some other faiths was due to:

A) God's Plan to reconcile Christianity with the Roman state.

or

B) other religions partially point to Christinity, the "true" faith.

But these are of course intepretive Rationalizations.

It doesn't much bother me. After all, Judaism, is similar to the older Zoroasterism. 3nodding
Little Rachael
By questioning my faith, I only mean to strengthen it.

I've heard that there are many myths and legends disturbingly similar to the story of Jesus. Several characters throughout history, such as Osiris, Krishna, and Buddha, have had several crucial elements in common ranging from the virgin birth to communion using bread and wine, maybe even the resurrection, although I'm not positive about that.

Also, I heard some historical writer--I can't remember who, but it's on positiveatheism.org--said that Jesus, during His teens or 20's--went to Egypt, learned a bunch of magic, and returned to Galilee to pronounce Himself as a healer or god.

I'm still Christian, but these things have been bothering me for some time. If you want, I'll try and dig up the stories, but I'd really rather not.

I hope some of you will know what I'm talking about.

I'm mostly asking for answers from well-learned Christians, but it's okay if I get some from other people too.

Thank you.

I will tell you now, there will be many times throughout your life where you will see or hear things that could make you doubt, but you must hold strong! If God wanted to make belief easy, he would have. Christianity is based on faith, not by sight. Where most of the other religions are based on some wierd form of "evidense".
That's because, even as we also have a nature to sin, our nature is to worship a god who was born of a virgin and stuff like that. They also might have looked at Christianity.
AyanamiRei
Jesus's youth, as recounted in the gospels, does bear much similarity to Diyonisious and Mythras... Not so Orsis... the only link there is ressurection.

However, this plays well into into history of the age. Christianity, so long persecuted by Rome, became accpted and eventually wholly embraced by Rome in large part becuase of the enthusiastic support of the Roman army, which had many Mythras devotees who were more than happy to covert to the somwhat similar Chritianity, especially after Christianity adopte Mythran symbols, iconography, and mass/worship services.

So from Christian viewpoint, you could say that Christianity's Similarity to some other faiths was due to:

A) God's Plan to reconcile Christianity with the Roman state.

or

B) other religions partially point to Christinity, the "true" faith.

But these are of course intepretive Rationalizations.

While these are possibilities you forget a major reason that can be backed up with reasonable confidence. If one looks at missionary work and its effect in roman times and afterwards (especially the expansion into the Germanic and Scandinavian lands) one sees a mixing of religions and what we now consider myths. Beowulf is a wonderful example of this as you see a wounderfull disfigurment of both Norse myths and Christianity.
Throughout history religions have mixed through trade and emires. Adonis was originally a Pheonician diety, but was absorbed into Greek mythology through trade culture. (as if the Greeks weren't ready to adopt new gods)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff