Welcome to Gaia! ::

icicle weapon
religion is not for everyone.
so long as you're a decent person, doesn't really matter if you believe in a god or not

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds,
there is none who does good.
Psalm 14:1

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
LoveLoud837

Quote:
“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
(Matthew 5:21–22)

I can also quote the Bible.

arrow Not everyone needs a god. You are no more moral or immoral for believing in one.
arrow Stop scaring people into obedience, you abominable d-bag.
AngryVeganQueer
LoveLoud837

Quote:
“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
(Matthew 5:21–22)

I can also quote the Bible.

arrow Not everyone needs a god. You are no more moral or immoral for believing in one.
arrow Stop scaring people into obedience, you abominable d-bag.

James 2:10

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Romans 3:23

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23a

For the wages of sin is death

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
LoveLoud837

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

arrow Ew, Christians.

Frozen Fairy

LoveLoud837
icicle weapon
so long as you're a decent person, doesn't really matter if you believe in a god or not

Christianity says to spread the word of God.
The word of God is love.
Treat people with respect and decency; that is spreading the word of God.
Whether you believe in Him or not, whether He is real or not, you are good person, and that is what is most important.
If there is a God, whether you believed or not, you will be rewarded in the next life.
If there is not, you will be remembered as a good person.

The Bible is a bunch of metaphorical stories and how to live. The existence of God is irrelevant. He is there as a metaphor for the all-loving father. And we are the metaphor for the children and all-loving father loves no matter what.
icicle weapon
LoveLoud837
icicle weapon

The word of God is love.
Whether you believe in Him or not, whether He is real or not, you are good person, and that is what is most important.
If there is a God, whether you believed or not, you will be rewarded in the next life.

The Bible is a bunch of metaphorical stories and how to live. The existence of God is irrelevant. He is there as a metaphor for the all-loving father. And we are the metaphor for the children and all-loving father loves no matter what.

No... you are not a good person. Don't believe that and don't spread that lie thinking you are being 'tolerant' or 'loving.'

Even Jesus when talking to the rich man said in Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Psalm 5:4-6 says
4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil may not dwell with you.
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

You are not good, unless you are God, and God hates sinners. But He also loves them dearly and died for whosoever shall believe. If you are not a believer you are not forgiven of sin, the sin that separates us from His holy standard of good.

The message that everyone is good is blasphemy and against all scriptures.

Frozen Fairy

LoveLoud837
icicle weapon
LoveLoud837
icicle weapon

The word of God is love.

No... you are not a good person. Don't believe that and don't spread that lie thinking you are being 'tolerant' or 'loving.'

Even Jesus when talking to the rich man said in Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

you hate all evildoers.

You are not good, unless you are God, and God hates sinners. But He also loves them dearly and died for whosoever shall believe. If you are not a believer you are not forgiven of sin, the sin that separates us from His holy standard of good.

The Bible says only God can judge.
Matthew 7:4-6
4"Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. 6"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

A crime against your fellow human is a crime against God. You do not love God when you spread unfounded hatred against fellow humans.
Matthew 25:36-40
36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' 37 "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' 40 And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'

Psalms is Old Testament, pre-Jesus, therefore irrelevant to Christianity. It's just there for background info, and because it sounds nice and poetic and makes for good songs during the Gospel.
icicle weapon
LoveLoud837
icicle weapon
LoveLoud837
icicle weapon

The word of God is love.

you hate all evildoers.

The Bible says only God can judge.
Matthew 7:4-6
4"Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. 6"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

A crime against your fellow human is a crime against God. You do not love God when you spread unfounded hatred against fellow humans.
Matthew 25:36-40
36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' 37 "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' 40 And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'

Psalms is Old Testament, pre-Jesus, therefore irrelevant to Christianity. It's just there for background info, and because it sounds nice and poetic and makes for good songs during the Gospel.

you are off your rockers if you think the old testament doesn't matter. You can't enter a theological debate feeling that way. You throw away half your credibility.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
I always find great entertainment when Christians argue amongst other Christians. One would think there wouldn't be so many different meanings from one Christians to the next when all Christians supposedly had read the same text as other Christians supposedly had. But this comes to know surprise to me when a story book can't even keep it's story straight.

So why should it's followers?

Incredible Genius

13,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150
Trees Please
I was raised Baptist, but as I got older my belief of God went extremely down hill. It is SO hard for me to believe there is a God. All the Bible stuff too, so hard to believe it is all real. I want to believe though. I truly do. Buuuut, I can't. gonk

I want to believe that we die and go some place else. The fact of dying scares the s**t outta me. I want to believe there is someone watching over us, and helping us along the way.

I lean towards we evolved from monkeys... xD

I really do hate I feel this way, but I'm not going to lie about it. I'm a non-believer, and I can't stand it.

The thought that one day I will die truly frightens me more than anything as well. I can't imagine that one day, I will no longer see colors, smell stenches or fragrances,taste delicious foods, hear music, or feel the softness of a womans skin again. The thought of everything just fading to black horrifies me to the point where I feel sick at times. However, the fact that everything is temporary makes life quite special. The fragility of existence is something that we hate, but that fact makes life a hell of a lot more meaningful. Go out there and do things you've never done before. Go make memories and laugh your a** off. Go live.

Prodigal Mage

LoveLoud837

Then no one escapes the penalty of sin -- not even Christians.

Quote:
God hates sinners. But He also loves them dearly

You didn't find anything wrong with writing these two phrases right next to one another?

Quote:

Well, sure, except for the ones that contradict your worldview.

Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Psalms 37:23
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
haunting heaven
LoveLoud837

Quote:

You didn't find anything wrong with writing these two phrases right next to one another?

Quote:

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

-You are half-right. Nobody escapes sin; however, Christians, followers of Christ, believers in Christ are forgiven of their trespasses. They are forgiven to the point of nothing, even renouncing their faith given they had faith initially, can separate.

-There is nothing wrong with those two phrases being written next to each other. For best explanation, please refer to the exerpt of the sermon I previously posted of David Platt.

-Psalm 14:1

John 14:12
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

If you do not know God, then you are not good. If you do know God, God lives in you and thus you are good. But no person is inherently good. Like, being born a Jew or to a devote catholic family does not make you have God.

Prodigal Mage

LoveLoud837
haunting heaven
LoveLoud837

Quote:

Quote:

-You are half-right. Nobody escapes sin; however, Christians, followers of Christ, believers in Christ are forgiven of their trespasses. They are forgiven to the point of nothing, even renouncing their faith given they had faith initially, can separate.

I wasn't referencing sin but the penalty. "The wages of sin is death," and everyone dies. We all reap the "wages of sin" regardless of what we may or may not believe.

Quote:
-There is nothing wrong with those two phrases being written next to each other. For best explanation, please refer to the exerpt of the sermon I previously posted of David Platt.

No amount of apologetics will ever make that statement non-contradictory.

Quote:

Ancient texts written by people who lacked a lot of the things we've learned since Psalms was written fail to persuade me.

Quote:
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

So love is key, not faith or belief systems.

Either way, this verse is irrelevant.

Quote:
If you do not know God, then you are not good. If you do know God, God lives in you and thus you are good. But no person is inherently good. Like, being born a Jew or to a devote catholic family does not make you have God.

In other words, no one is good -- not even those who have God live in them because any "goodness" they have is not theirs. Not if "no one is good except God alone." They are still "evil." Ergo, you still haven't accounted for the verses I posted previously.
haunting heaven
LoveLoud837
haunting heaven
LoveLoud837

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't referencing sin but the penalty. "The wages of sin is death," and everyone dies. We all reap the "wages of sin" regardless of what we may or may not believe.

Quote:

No amount of apologetics will ever make that statement non-contradictory.

Quote:

Ancient texts written by people who lacked a lot of the things we've learned since Psalms was written fail to persuade me.

Quote:

So love is key, not faith or belief systems.

Either way, this verse is irrelevant.

Quote:

In other words, no one is good -- not even those who have God live in them because any "goodness" they have is not theirs. Not if "no one is good except God alone." They are still "evil." Ergo, you still haven't accounted for the verses I posted previously.

If you refuse to educate yourself on theology and argue your point of view as if absolute truth, that is your foolishness.

Prodigal Mage

LoveLoud837
If you refuse to educate yourself on theology and argue your point of view as if absolute truth, that is your foolishness.

Thank you, Pot. I'll keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces