Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Noob

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Timid 100
when some Christians do something that goes against what the Bible teaches, and people judge the whole Christian population because of them.
And when I say "some Christians," I actually mean most Christians. So many don't seem to understand what the religion truly teaches, and they end up giving it a bad name.
Truthfully, even if everyone really understood the Bible, the world would still not accept it. That is the nature of Christianity. But for the world to not accept it for the wrong reasons just really bothers me.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Could you give an example?

Friendly Noob

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Timid 100
The Irish Economy

Westboro Baptist. Need I say more? I am aware that they aren't most of the believing population, and I also know that even a lot of non-Christians know that they are more erratic than most. But it still saddens me that there are people who think they represent the whole of Christianity.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
soulvent
The Irish Economy

Westboro Baptist. Need I say more? I am aware that they aren't most of the believing population, and I also know that even a lot of non-Christians know that they are more erratic than most. But it still saddens me that there are people who think they represent the whole of Christianity.

I think the WB have a few Christian Theologies very nicely pegged and are probably more on track than most.

Other ones, not so much.

I was hoping for specifics.

Noob

That is not only the nature of Christianity, but the nature of all religions.
Understanding something does not mean you believe it or agree with it.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Everyone has their extremists, which tarnish the name and image of the rest. It's not just Christians.

Aged Lunatic

soulvent
when some Christians do something that goes against what the Bible teaches, and people judge the whole Christian population because of them.
And when I say "some Christians," I actually mean most Christians. So many don't seem to understand what the religion truly teaches, and they end up giving it a bad name.
Truthfully, even if everyone really understood the Bible, the world would still not accept it. That is the nature of Christianity. But for the world to not accept it for the wrong reasons just really bothers me.

COnsidering what the Bible DOES say, I'm quite glad we will never understand and accept it. ******** that sexist and bigoted piece of offal that would have me killed, subjugated, and damned.

Aged Lunatic

soulvent
The Irish Economy

TO be fair, anyone who does think that is pretty damned ignorant. Good god, when even JERRY FALWELL calls Fred Phelps a "class A nut",....

Jeering Regular

soulvent
They represent the danger of Christianity and religion in general, especially in a system that is permissive towards a variety of religious viewpoints. The danger is thus: that either their religion will compel them to engage in acts harmful to others (physically or psychologically) or they will use their religion as an excuse to engage in such acts, and because we are a society that is permissive towards real or claimed religious behavior, they will privileged to engage in such harm.

Or at least shielded by another layer of constitutional protection.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Ontological Empiricism
Everyone has their extremists, which tarnish the name and image of the rest. It's not just Christians.

This. No religion is safe from having its share of nutjobs. Be they Christian, Muslim, Jewish... I'm sure there are Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, and Shinto extremists, but I haven't investigated that far. Kinda hard to say so when I haven't seen many in action.

But I've seen some nuts from fringe religions. Wiccans and Jedi who were a bit unstable (which is a bit surprising, considering the point of the latter, but that's humanity for you).

And then we have atheism, which itself is represented very poorly online by teenagers who think they're being edgy. Oh, and Richard Dawkins, who seems to just insult religious people on the grounds that they're "stupid" or "crazy," when the truth is, they just share different opinions than him.

A rational person would see little reason to care what other people believe in (or don't believe in). They would instead focus on how they act in regards to it. Unfortunately, people are hardly rational creatures by nature, so then we have people acting like idiots in the name of Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, the Force, or Science.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Xiam

And then we have atheism, which itself is represented very poorly online by teenagers who think they're being edgy. Oh, and Richard Dawkins, who seems to just insult religious people on the grounds that they're "stupid" or "crazy," when the truth is, they just share different opinions than him.

Is he one of those atheists who believe that one needs verifiable, scientific proof that god(s) exist(s) in order to believe in it/them and thinks all religious people follow scripture literally?
What really bothers me is people like you who think that your religion is good in the first place. It isn't.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fermionic
What really bothers me is people like you who think that your religion is good in the first place. It isn't.

Proof please. No generalizations allowed.
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Fermionic

"Good" is completely subjective. When people like him go about saying "Oh, it's all people's fault, the religion is good" and try to make others accept those personal ideals, he is putting the burden of proof on himself to show that his assertions are correct. And, as before, goodness is subjective, that will be impossible to do. Ergo, his claims are false.
The difference of his statement that his religion is good and nice and all, and mine that it isn't is different. He was making an absolute in his assertion, I was denying that that was possible.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fermionic
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Fermionic

"Good" is completely subjective. When people like him go about saying "Oh, it's all people's fault, the religion is good" and try to make others accept those personal ideals, he is putting the burden of proof on himself to show that his assertions are correct. And, as before, goodness is subjective, that will be impossible to do. Ergo, his claims are false.
The difference of his statement that his religion is good and nice and all, and mine that it isn't is different. He was making an absolute in his assertion, I was denying that that was possible.

By the same logic, his religion is not bad.

Not that he in anyway wants other stop accept ideals beyond 'don't be jerks', which is a pretty good ideal to adhere to.

He is wrong that most Christians are bad by being jerks; most aren't jerks, the same way most Muslims, Buddhists, etc aren't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff