Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is there a purgatory?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 2, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 >

The Bible does not mention purgatory anywhere, so does it really exist?
xjinatree

Some scholars suggest that the hebrew "sheol" (translated as death or hell) may be more of a place of waiting... similar in some respects to purgatory....

other than that, there is no mention of purgatory...
AyanamiRei
xjinatree

Some scholars suggest that the hebrew "sheol" (translated as death or hell) may be more of a place of waiting... similar in some respects to purgatory....

Isn't Sheol the place where Jesus reportedly went during the three days between his death and resurrection?

On purgatory -- there isn't any specific mention of in the Bible, but the Catholic Church supports the idea.
evilweevil
AyanamiRei
xjinatree

Isn't Sheol the place where Jesus reportedly went during the three days between his death and resurrection?

On purgatory -- there isn't any specific mention of in the Bible, but the Catholic Church supports the idea.

i wouldn't know.. ask ananel
the church of england started pushing this idea on people in the dark ages, it was a way to leech money off the populace. the story went that, if you payed the priests, then you would go to purgatory instead of hell, suffer moderatly for a while, then ascend. it's crap, from a crap organization. that is all.

EDIT: fine, i forgot the es, the CHURCHES of england, as in the churches IN england during the middle ages, and so i got my neurons misfiring about buying your way out of hell, i'll admit that that was wrong and accept the ridicule about that, but priests did accept money to pray and fast for people who wanted to bypass or at least lessen their time purgatory.
Spiteful_Sage
the church of england started pushing this idea on people in the dark ages, it was a way to leech money off the populace. the story went that, if you payed the priests, then you would go to purgatory instead of hell, suffer moderatly for a while, then ascend. it's crap, from a crap organization. that is all.

Your lack of knowledge of history is appalling... where did you learn history? from watching helsing? rolleyes

com back when you know enough history not to sound like a total lackwit

xcedra's Husband

While not being named specifically in the Bible purgatory was at least mentioned in the old testament because really if the souls of the Hebrews that were going to go to heaven had to wait until the Messiah comes before they could enter heaven then obviously they would go to an intermidiate plane of existance, since there would be no reason for them to go to Hell. Thus the idea of Purgatory was born.

There was a large emphasis on Purgatory from the Catholic Church, so much to the point that priests and higher ups were accepting money so that people could buy their way into Heaven. This caused the great rift between the Church and was one of the major reasons that Christianity now has different factions.

The Church of England was originally essentially the Catholic Church, the only exception being that the King was the one at the head of the Church so he could do anything he wanted really. It was started just so that Henry VIII could divorce his wife after all. When Queen Elizabeth came to power she actually reformed the Church of England and gave it major differences from the Catholic Church.

Just thought I would clear up the history a little bit.
Another theory people made up to control others... no different than god, religion and the bible

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Lil-Jo
Another theory people made up to control others... no different than god, religion and the bible

Prove that people made it up for the purpose of controlling others, please.
Shippo-chun
While not being named specifically in the Bible purgatory was at least mentioned in the old testament because really if the souls of the Hebrews that were going to go to heaven had to wait until the Messiah comes before they could enter heaven then obviously they would go to an intermidiate plane of existance, since there would be no reason for them to go to Hell. Thus the idea of Purgatory was born.

Exactly.
no, there is no purgatory. its not biblical, there is zero mention of it in the Bible, you either go to one of the two places where'll you'll remain for eternity.
I dont know if there is a purgatory. I never realy heard about it or understood it. So, if some one would care to enlighten me I would love to see what it is to better understand and then shead my light on this topic.
Spiteful_Sage

... "The church of england"? Are you on some sort of narcotic or what?
I don't believe in purgatory. I see no evidence for it. And it completely goes against pretty much everything I believe about God. So yeah.
Triste Morningstar
Spiteful_Sage

... "The church of england"? Are you on some sort of narcotic or what?
Henry the VIII traveled back in time, started his church a few hundred years earlier and then stole pugatory from the Catholics. 3nodding

*hopes he was right*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces