Welcome to Gaia! ::

what do you think about the amount of violence that is deemed "acceptable" by today's society for viewing? childrens cartoons with fights? pre- watershed soaps with gangster scenarios?
give me your opinions!
Is this about cartoons? Are cartoons violent?

Well, I think most are, or at least all of them have some form of violence. I remember when I was a kid, the cartoons still had some form of violence in them. (I think in one of the Legend of Zelda Episodes, Ganon says something like, "I'm dying!" and Zelda turns around and says, "Good!" wink . Violence is almost inevitable, unless you're watching Barney... even then, something might happen...

~Ciao
I personally think its totally desensitizing and isn't portrayed with any sort of truth, which is rather irresponsible. I've seen a lot of violence in my time, and I have yet to see any TV series that can actually capture the reality and suckage.

Yet we can't see a breast without people flipping out.

Go figure.

My issue mostly isn't with violence, per se. It's with the hypocrisy and irresponsibility of the media in its choices of subject material.

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
What really frosts my cookies is that anime is cut up and butchered so much to be put on American TV so that kids don't see "violence" and a little bit of blood, and they redub it so instead of saying "kill" they say "destroy," yet when you watch American cartoons you've got violence up the wazoo and they say "kill" as if it were nothing. Now what has America got against Japanese cartoons? domokun
Just remember how we were like when we were little kids. We'd watch a movie like Friday 13 and s**t in our pants. Now, most of us would watch and find it just... funny. Or maybe boring.

Why? Because we get used to it.

There's a considerable step between media violence and real-life violence, but it's not an abyss. We get to know from media sorts of violence we wouldn't even know they existed. I'm not saying that it'll make us violent, but... maybe it will spice our creativity.

If it's wrong? Well... depends on what you want with that.
I think its ok to have violence in movies, cartoons, tv shows, games, and anything else you find that little kids could watch. death is something that happens to us all. The people that are aginst it just like to look at the screwed up peopel that try and recreate these scenes. america says that we are the land of the free but we still wont let people swear(dont get me wrong i dont like it but i still think its everybodys right) or play video games with to much violence, or watch anima that has to much blood.
Better violence on the Tele, than violence right in front of them. At least with the television, parents can change the channel, or better yet, shut the blasted thing off entirely. It's a sad state of affairs that many children are being raised by the media, with little or no imput from their (often overworked) parents. As long as there is someone there to clarify that, no, when someone is in an exploding mech (or anything else just hit by a missle) they usually die, and that dying is a bad thing, then everything should work out. Most kids I've interacted with have a fairly good grasp that cartoons are not, in fact, real life. The same tends to hold true with video games, regardless, I'd much rather have someone gunning some pixelated person down, than taking random, pot-shots, at me....
I'm more disturbed at the romanticized and often sexualized way violence is presented in the media. There have only been a handfull of movies where I was disturbed by the violence and that was because it was portrayed in such a realistic manner.
The video game thing is interesting.

With every new system, the graphics get more realistic. That is given.

I'm not trying to single out any game genre in particular, but shooting games, fighting games, and things like that, that have blood and violence and all that good stuff in it, desensitizes people. If a kid sees his older brother (or if a kid is actually playing) playing a game with this kind of stuff in it, the kid will eventually think (if exposed enough) that shooting people is okay to an extent. Kids are very impressionable, and seeing graphics similar to reality shows them no difference. Yeah, it's just a game, but kids aren't old enough, really to understand that. Yeah, they know it's a game, but their older brother's having fun doing it, and mom won't let me play it... I wanna have fun to!

There have been studies on this kinda thing done. Kids exposed to violence at a younger age are more likely to commit crimes/be arrested/be involved in school shooting/etc... Take your pick.

~Ciao
For younger kids, I think it's up to the parents to moniter what they're kids watch, and up to the kids themselves. Some kids prefer not to watch violence, nobodys forcing them too. Other little kids really want to watch violent stuff (scary) but arent mature enough to handle it.
Personally, I think there's too much, but that's my opinion. sweatdrop I just didn't grow up seeing so much violence, so I'm not very used to it. To others, it may be comfortable, simply because they've been seeing it quite often in television shows when they were young and all.

Of course, I don't think all the violence on the media would affect the viewer a lot, so I don't really mind it. I'd just prefer not to engage in it when I can.
By sheilding a child from something that is enevitable, when it actually happens they won't be able to handle themselves, and it creates very insecure people. I was taught to fight, bar room brawl style from my grand mother, at the age of three. I know what to do and what not to do in a melee, and it's saved alot of pain. So would you teach a kid how to handle himself in a dangerous situation, or would you sheild them completly, so that they have no clue of what they are doing? Your pick, but my kid ain't gonna be no sissy push-over.

7,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What makes now different from any other time period? Public executions in the United states didn't end that long ago, as well as public beatings. Is the violence worse now that it's simulated?

Which biblical hero made a wedding gift of the foreskins of his enemies?

As for romantizing and sexualizing of violence...Obviously no one's read anything in the past 2,500 years. None of this is new, save for the how it's presented. Every media from carvings to paintings, to photography to film, has as popular expressions salacious and grisly imagery.

Nothing changes.
I'm really okay with violence on television as long as there is no blood spewing, or flying guts. I don't think reality shows where people are having surgery are acceptable. Not only is it an opportunity to expose young children to gore but it also seems like an indecency to whoever is being operated on. I know I wouldn't want my innards being shown on national television.
Romuel
What makes now different from any other time period? Public executions in the United states didn't end that long ago, as well as public beatings. Is the violence worse now that it's simulated?

Which biblical hero made a wedding gift of the foreskins of his enemies?

As for romantizing and sexualizing of violence...Obviously no one's read anything in the past 2,500 years. None of this is new, save for the how it's presented. Every media from carvings to paintings, to photography to film, has as popular expressions salacious and grisly imagery.

Nothing changes.

How it's presented is that change. What romantization there was of violent material in the past was not widely shown to children, and if it was, it was an accident, or just for teaching them a lesson. Public executions and beatings were to punish a criminal, however wrong or right it was. Today's media violence is just raw, pointless killing and shooting that is not done in the name of art, politics, or whatever, just for the enjoyment of people that get exhiliration from watching it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff