Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

So I saw this meme, and it got me thinking, is Freedom of Religion truly Un-American?

Newbie Noob

I guess to further expand on this idea, here in America we have Freedom of Speech. You can, if you so chose, use your freedom of speech to bash freedom of speech and even attempt to take it way from yourself constitutionally. Basically, you can protest against your right to free speech if you so wish. The question then becomes, should you and is such an action unamerican? Granted, you are taking advantage of your freedom to it's fullest form. . . But is it right and is it American? I guess, that all depends on what it means to be an American. Is it just about where you are born or is there more to it. Which, bring us to the question of freedom of religion. You have the freedom to submit yourself to the rule of other, bondage and slavery, by your own will. But should you as a freedom loving American?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Why the hell should anyone care if it's 'unamerican'? That just seems like a stupid thing to be concerned with. What matters if it is ethical and/or whether it is useful to a goal we ought to be going for. That's the reasonable criteria for a good law, not how 'american' it is.

Newbie Noob

The Herald of War
Why the hell should anyone care if it's 'unamerican'? That just seems like a stupid thing to be concerned with. What matters if it is ethical and/or whether it is useful to a goal we ought to be going for. That's the reasonable criteria for a good law, not how 'american' it is.
Would you support monarchy in America?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
DarkSohisohi
The Herald of War
Would you support monarchy in America?

I wouldn't support it anywhere. Why does that matter? I hope you're not going to do something stupid and talk about how american or unamerican it is, as if it was part of why I would not.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
No - there is no basis to claim that submitting to a king willingly (divine or otherwise) is un-American. The issue was being forced to submit to a king unwillingly.
In the US, you can choose to worship a divine king. The US however doesn't follow any king be him mortal or divine.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Ridiculous; if it were un-American, it wouldn't be in the Constitution.

Heroic Hero

What time period of "American" are we talking about?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
DarkSohisohi
So I saw this meme, and it got me thinking, is Freedom of Religion truly Un-American?

The actual term is "macro," not "meme." Memes are like cultural diseases. A viral video, or an in-joke, would be more of a meme than writing on a picture.

Considering the first amendment is specifically about freedom of religion (among others), saying that Congress can make no law that supports a "state religion," I'd say it's plenty American.

Though I do see the oddity that the colonists fought back against a king, then there was some wariness of George Washington becoming the King of America (the way I understand it, he too was uncomfortable with it), and yet Christians are some of the loudest patriots, who worship a sort of cosmic monarch.

But, diversity is a big thing here, and in spite of McCarthyism, one's beliefs are their own and do not necessarily have to do with one's citizenship, or national loyalty.
It would be unamerican for the US government to submit their allegiance to a deity. To swear allegiance to a deity personally is your choice and your right.
So some random person put together some words that may sound good at first glance with a picture obviously intended to make it look patriotic and that was all it took to make you question one of the pillars of our culture?

Dapper Reveler

I disagree with Pat's beliefs in that area, although i have some real great respect for him.

Newbie Noob

Shama_okami
So some random person put together some words that may sound good at first glance with a picture obviously intended to make it look patriotic and that was all it took to make you question one of the pillars of our culture?
God Emperor Baldur
It would be unamerican for the US government to submit their allegiance to a deity. To swear allegiance to a deity personally is your choice and your right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should throw out freedom of religion. I'm just saying we are uing that particulate freedom wrongly. Just like someone who protests against his right to protest or speaks against this freedom of speech. The idea that, the founding fathers would debate so vigorously to prevent the rising of a monarchy in this country so people could then turn around and shackle themselves back into bondage to some total divine cosmic monarchy. . . Is, well, un-american.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff