Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I was just told that it was sacrilegious to write a story that mixed mythologies. When I mentioned an author had won awards for doing so (Neil Gaiman), I was told he was a hack and to discount everything about him.

Other authors have written mixed mythologies before, and some have stuck to one mythology to use in their story. Did they have any right to use deities in non-spiritual writing?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
There's no shame in using one's imagination. The guy you were talking with was clearly an immature punk.

Gods and religions are not copyrighted.

Floppy Member

There's insufficient evidence to prove inconclusively that any works known as "scripture" are not, in fact, works of fiction. Possibly your critic has their ego enmeshed with their beliefs?

I wish more people were interested in themes like that. Years ago, my old RP partner and I came up with OCs for a universe similar to Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series. I am sure a lot of people would find that series sacrilegious, and the RP universe, too, but if they didn't maybe I'd find some more players and get my RP off and running.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Blood Valkyrie
There's no shame in using one's imagination. The guy you were talking with was clearly an immature punk.

Well, he had some significant influence when he got me kicked out of the Nano for it.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

Well, he had some significant influence when he got me kicked out of the Nano for it.

Ah, he got you kicked out of a club over it? So, he's a c**t, then?

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

Four others rallied with him, so it really got me wondering. Did he have a point, or was he just being cruel?

Is there a line in fiction people shouldn't cross when writing about religions? I always thought the line was 'Don't go preaching something insulting', but now I don't know.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

Four others rallied with him, so it really got me wondering. Did he have a point, or was he just being cruel?

Is there a line in fiction people shouldn't cross when writing about religions? I always thought the line was 'Don't go preaching something insulting', but now I don't know.

They were just being unnecessarily stupid and cruel.

Are you a citizen of a country where freedom of expression is protected by the law? If so, then ******** them. You can write whatever you want in fiction.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

Are you a citizen of a country where freedom of expression is protected by the law? If so, then ******** them. You can write whatever you want in fiction.

I am indeed. I just... well, angry mobs can make someone confused and seek out civil discussion from those that probably know more.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

I am indeed. I just... well, angry mobs can make someone confused and seek out civil discussion from those that probably know more.

Beware angry mobs. They tend to be irrational.

Floppy Member

I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie
I am The Compendium
Blood Valkyrie

Angry mobs have all too often been on the wrong side of history.

Newbie Hunter

yeah, like Rick Riordan.
Wrote those Percy Jackson books with Greek Gods, and then threw in that random Roman God Janus and the editor's never picked up on it.
That's not sacreligious. It's just bad editing.

Also in book 3 he put in an absolute wrong explanation of the difference between the words "You/your/yours" and "thou/thee/thy/thine"

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
The Legendary Guest

Angry mobs have done a bit of good, such as with the French Revolution. Then again, many times they've killed people purely for booze through out history and there's no rule saying an angry mob needs to make sense.

I just wanted to make sure it was akin to the latter. I rather prefer my online head.

Floppy Member

I am The Compendium
The Legendary Guest

Angry mobs have done a bit of good, such as with the French Revolution. Then again, many times they've killed people purely for booze through out history and there's no rule saying an angry mob needs to make sense.

I just wanted to make sure it was akin to the latter. I rather prefer my online head.

True enough. I suggest thickening of skin for online interactions.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
The Legendary Guest

It's why I moved here. If they're going to tell me they study religion and yet have no authority on it, I might as well talk to polite people who do know what they talk about and write the story anyway.

By the way, thank you nice, polite person.

Floppy Member

I am The Compendium
The Legendary Guest

It's why I moved here. If they're going to tell me they study religion and yet have no authority on it, I might as well talk to polite people who do know what they talk about and write the story anyway.

By the way, thank you nice, polite person.

Here as in the ED? Oh well, it can get really ugly here too, depending on what thread you wander into and who is there at the time. I have a long list of people I avoid like the plague.

And I am sure I am not always nice and polite, so thank you for noticing when I fit that description.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff