Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm mainly talking about Wiccan youth, here. But for quite awhile now, I've seen some of my peers (some friends, some not) turn to Wicca. Mostly these kids were not very popular, and a lot of them were frequent church goers- then one day they check out a pagan book from the library and BAM! they're full-blown Wiccans. It is very hard for me to believe that some one's religion or even life can be dictated by something they check out from the local or school library.

So my question is, are today's youth being Wiccan for show?

(I do realize of course that they're are many Wiccan gaians, and I'm not discriminatin'. I also realize my knowledge is somewhat limited about Wicca- but my question is still valid.)

^_^ Post!
Well, from what I can tell, if they are not a part of a (I believe the word is) coven, they are technically not Wiccan. And if they are checking out books from the library, my bet would be that they are Silver Ravenwolf books, which aren't so good.

Edit: But to actually answer your question, some might be. Some might see it as something exotic and cool. They may be looking for something that's not what they've grown up with. Or they might actually be seeking some sort of spirituality. It's kind of hard to make such broad statements, like "Teens are being Wiccan so they can be cool".

Familiar Citizen

Ive known people who have claimed to be Wiccan for show. To be 'cool'. But from what I've seen those people soon loose interest and the belief if they ever had it fades away. The one who are truly wishing to become Wiccan usually take a dedication, I believe it was called. Where they study intently for a year and a day until they can truly become practitioners of Wicca.

(And I agree with TagraNar. Silver Ravenwolf isn't that great.)
What exactly IS wiccan, im lost...

7,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Jets Bonsai Trees

That crazy thing all the kids are into these days. Kind of like a whiner version of meth.

Familiar Citizen

Romuel
Jets Bonsai Trees

That crazy thing all the kids are into these days. Kind of like a whiner version of meth.

Uh...not really no. Wicca is kind of a branch of paganisum which I might say existed long before it became a fad with the youth today. It's really a fad lately but it is a religion. Try looking it up sometime.
Mameoyashi
Romuel
Jets Bonsai Trees

Uh...not really no. Wicca is kind of a branch of paganisum which I might say existed long before it became a fad with the youth today. It's really a fad lately but it is a religion. Try looking it up sometime.

Do you ever have a sense of humour?

And it's only been around 50 years, can still be fad-ish.

Familiar Citizen

uisce

I do have a great sense of humour, outside of ED anyway. But what you say sometimes it isn't always clear and I get quite offended because other people too, have been offended as well. Most things you say reflect my religion in a negative light because you are either mocking it or being a radical, both things I despise.

I said it is a fad today but I don't agree that it's a whiner version of meth. That was what I meant.
Mameoyashi
uisce

I do have a great sense of humour, outside of ED anyway. But what you say sometimes it isn't always clear and I get quite offended because other people too, have been offended as well. Most things you say reflect my religion in a negative light because you are either mocking it or being a radical, both things I despise.

I said it is a fad today but I don't agree that it's a whiner version of meth. That was what I meant.

When you're around in here forever, there's little you can do but mock some people sweatdrop
And she was joking.

Familiar Citizen

uisce

When you're around in here forever, there's little you can do but mock some people sweatdrop
And she was joking.

So you say because you've been around here a long time it's okay to mock people? You generalise and take a radical standpoint to mock, but that's okay because you've been around the forum a long time? Tell me how that is justified.

And I've heard such things being said seriously, so i do not discount people saying such thigns seriously on this forum.
Mameoyashi

So you say because you've been around here a long time it's okay to mock people? You generalise and take a radical standpoint to mock, but that's okay because you've been around the forum a long time? Tell me how that is justified.

Uh, that was a variation on "sometimes all you can do is laugh".
Quote:

And I've heard such things being said seriously, so i do not discount people saying such thigns seriously on this forum.

Which is why I was explaining just there, not attacking.

7,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mameoyashi

Really? Could you link me to the thread where people believed that wicca was a drug? That'd be neat!
My thread turned into a boxing ring. Heh... sweatdrop
Anyone who makes his or her religion more pronounced then wearing a symbol of that beleif on a healthy occasion is flaunting. I'v know people to be overl Christian, just so people will leave them alone. This happens in all religions.
MeatPlushie
My thread turned into a boxing ring. Heh... sweatdrop
Well, mostly a testing ground for a new Circle of Protection: Sarcasm, apparently...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff