Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which religion would you choose if it could be -fact-?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 13, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 >

which would it be and why? What I'm saying is, if you could choose a religion to follow, and KNOW that was the right one, because when you chose it it became factual, true, and undeniable (this is theoretical, if you didn't know.) which would you choose, and why?

What makes that religion so much better for you than any other? What makes it seem like the right one? Why do you not follow it now, if you don't? Explain and discuss? ^^;

I'm going to head to bed right now, but I'll definitely check when I get on tomorrow to see who (if anyone) has answered, and see what they say... I'm interested. I'll tell you which one I'd choose right now, but I'll explain tomorrow. Buddhism. I'll explain my choice tomorrow.

(in the poll I have included all I could off the top of my head. There are several, SEVERAL more, and if you have another you wish me to add, let me know. Though, the number of poll items you can add [I just found out] isn't very high, sooo.)
Pagan/buddhist I suppose. A fair part of that is because I already do believe something along those lines, and think it's true. Um, I guess it's because people ought to have compassion for everyone regardless of who they are, instead of discriminating, whether it be against non-believers or gays or people of a different colour. I think that's included in the religions I named...
A respect for nature and animals is always good too, though that might fall into the pagan category. I don't follow a particular religion anyhow...
I'd still choose atheism, because I believe that humanity is better off without gods.

No gods gives humanity more freedom than it could ever have if it were ruled by divine beings. Also, since there would be no afterlife, and what we have on earth would be all that we have, that would logically make the WORTH of human life rise. Because if this is ALL there is, then this must be infinitely precious, because you'll never have it again.

If, on the other hand, there are gods and an afterlife, then we don't really matter. After all, a measly 80 years or less is nothing when compared to infinity of the afterlife, and who cares about humans when a god can always kill them all off and make new ones?
I'm one of those annoying people that come along saying, "I think there is an element of truth in every religion."

Though, you do realize the people voting on the poll are most likely of that religion - unless they're athiest or agnostic (in which they might be totally unbiased).

I voted for Buddhism - I am Buddhist. In a way, that makes me a hypocrite. I'm basically laying my hands down saying "THIS IS WHAT IT IS. BELIEVE IT, DEAL WITH IT." But that would falter my whole belief system of things being fluid, changeable, interchangeable; Because that is what it is. The universe is in a constant state of flux - as is every single thing in it. Death is never the total end of anything - just the change of something. And I think - Atheism is Buddhism without the belief of a set path to what is 'happiness' or 'contentment'. But that is just my perception.

I am always, always skeptical, though - of everything except things being in a constant state of flux. That's why my friends usually have a hard time dealing with me - my habits and accent, my gestures and beliefs on philosophy, are always changing because I try to replace the current ones with newer, more benificial, closer-to-the-truth ones. Oh well - at least I'll have an assortment of different topics to keep my interest and learn 'bout.
Axioma
I'd still choose atheism, because I believe that humanity is better off without gods.

No gods gives humanity more freedom than it could ever have if it were ruled by divine beings. Also, since there would be no afterlife, and what we have on earth would be all that we have, that would logically make the WORTH of human life rise. Because if this is ALL there is, then this must be infinitely precious, because you'll never have it again.

If, on the other hand, there are gods and an afterlife, then we don't really matter. After all, a measly 80 years or less is nothing when compared to infinity of the afterlife, and who cares about humans when a god can always kill them all off and make new ones?

What about buddhism? I suppose that still has the afterlife issue, but not gods.

Each life is still...valuable despite rebirth, it's not something to really throw away.
bluewolfcub

What about buddhism? I suppose that still has the afterlife issue, but not gods.

Each life is still...valuable despite rebirth, it's not something to really throw away.

You can't throw it away in Buddhism. Or, rather, managing to throw it away is what you're supposed to do. And apparently, it's very damn hard.

But if someone is reborn when they die, can we actually say that killing someone is bad? I mean, they respawn immediately anyway, no harm done.

But yes, the no Gods bit is very good in Buddhism, because it forces humans to help themselves.
Axioma
bluewolfcub

You can't throw it away in Buddhism. Or, rather, managing to throw it away is what you're supposed to do. And apparently, it's very damn hard.

But if someone is reborn when they die, can we actually say that killing someone is bad? I mean, they respawn immediately anyway, no harm done.

But yes, the no Gods bit is very good in Buddhism, because it forces humans to help themselves.

I was speaking of throwing it away in the sense of suicide and the like.

again, assuming this belief does come to be true, hypothetically:
But they don't "respawn", not as themselves. There are differences, and most won't ever know who they were before. They're different people, speaking by age and country, perhaps even some personality, depending on how they're brought up. I suppose essentially they still are, underneath all that, the same, but it might just extend as far as personality. And speaking from the point of view of those who know and care for the person in one life, it's no consolation to them to know the person is going to be reborn in such a way they'll probably never find them?
Another disclaimer: I'm not a buddhist. I've looked into it a fair bit and was considering being one, but I'm almost certainly not the best person to be arguing on its behalf. Only on behalf of my own beliefs which are something like it, and even so, I'm still adding to/revising them all the time.
I see. Yeah, that would make it bad. Although you'd essentially only be tearing people away from each other, it'd still be a nasty thing to do. Nost as nasty as if they were irrevocably lost, but still.
If I could pick any religion to be truth, I'd make up my own religion, (maybe call it "shadism"...) and say in the religion, that anything is possible. This would be the only way to make sure it's true.
Axioma
I see. Yeah, that would make it bad. Although you'd essentially only be tearing people away from each other, it'd still be a nasty thing to do. Nost as nasty as if they were irrevocably lost, but still.

eek
I wasn't expecting that answer.
Whee XD

(sorry, I'll hush now)

edit: Actually there is further reason beyond why it's still not the best idea to kill someone regardless of people who care about them as well, but I'm in a rush now and not concentrating on this properly, so I don't think I can articulate those reasons properly. Either someone else can, or I will do so soon.
Egotheism. Duh.
I don't believe people would change all too much if one set of Gods would turn out to be the real thing. They'd lie steal love cheat and have fun all the same, only in a different way.
So I'd choose my religion of ultimate truth solely based on style.
Gods who don't really care all too much, like to party and do wicked stuff. Greek or norse pantheon.

Or...something dark, creepy.....with lots of tentacles...^^
Jaquiel Charday.
Egotheism. Duh.

Damn, I was going to say MEism....but Egotheism just sounds a whole lot better, as long as by Egotheism, you mean that I am God and not you.

If I was God, things would be great...you know, maybe THAT's it!....The history of the universe repeats itself over and over but we each get a turn to be God....

"The reign of YHWH is now over, next up: Boy George..."
mine, duh!

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Taoism, because that's more nature-based and peaceful, without the underlying "must convert" factor of a lot of other religions. The Tao is more a force than a God, and I like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff