Freedom 0.21621621621622 21.6% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2 3 4

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
I believe the one true faith would be inclusive of everyone. The believers and the non-believers.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Ravyn94

11. wicca or buddhism, they are both very open and accepting religions

What do you think Wicca is? What do you think Buddhism is?

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wagh’nagl fhtagn."
I'll try to address all of your questions without missing any wink

We Are Organisms
<snip>

"There needs to be an agnostic religion that is created for moral values and accepts that God may or may not exist but still be used as a moral system perhaps. But that is assuming people can't handle morals without it I suppose. Its better than scientology, better than rastafarianism, hell even better than every religion out there if its approached correctly."
- Not so much used as a moral system but meets most of your other points so far: Perennialism, is a perspective within the philosophy of religion which views each of the world’s religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown.
I think this is going to cover most of your questions already, so my basic answer is that what you are referring to already exists.

What would this religion need?
- Openness to all religions as containing some portion of the truth

What sort of symbology should be used for mythologies or stories of the religion if there are any?
- I believe the word you are looking for is s-s-s-s-symbolism. But humor aside, I would vote that any type of symbolism just leads to "home team" behavior - where people end up blindly defending their home religion without any knowledge of what it actually means.

Should we take true examples from the past or make up ideal examples?
- Given the sheer number of examples out there in existing religions, I don't see the need to make up new ones. We have a huge berth of information to gather from.

Will we wait for stories to unfold after the religion is open rather?
- While I would support being open towards new stories, I don't think it is necessary to wait given the amount of information already out there.

What do all religions have in common?
- A text book would not have room for all of the examples that fit here.

Don't say God(s) because buddhism doesnt have one. They are all belief systems for one.
What should their book be called?
- Why do they need a single book? Why not use all of them?

Any other questions I should be asking?
- eh.... not that is immediately popping into my head at this time of the morning smile

Overall if I think about it this would promote solidarity between people who want to be moral but aren't sure on which religion or something.

So what would people enter this religion for?
- For the search for truth

Why do people enter religions or turn to religions?
- There are as many reasons as there are people, a lot of which come down to people just accepting what's culturally handed to them without thought.

What uses do religions have besides moral values and answers? Why do people need answers?
- Valid philosophical question that again is its own topic. I guess the simplest cheap answer I could give is that some people just have a drive for truth - wherever that may lead them.

I am basically wondering what is the ideal most accurate and acceptable least restrictive religion possible? What would it be like?
- One that is willing to take and find truth wherever that may lead. The example of Perennialism above was mentioned specifically because it looks towards a study of all religions in an effort to find the truth.

Don't say your religion, thats not the purpose of this discussion, or if you do at least provide reasons why they are ideal in certain circumstances.
- If I did not provide enough, let me know, and I will try to elaborate.

Do you think this is a waste of time?
- Not at all.

Romantic Guardian

23,700 Points
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Miasmal Lake Visitor 25
Calelith
Ravyn94

for this, im gonna give a couple of links because i only know the basics of each, so i cant give accurate ideas as to what i think they are. usually i do more research on things before i say something but due to the fact im in college, and recently started dating a super-awesome girl, ive been busy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Greedy Consumer

Samadhi23
Why do people need answers?
I guess the simplest cheap answer I could give is that some people just have a drive for truth - wherever that may lead them.

I am basically wondering what is the ideal most accurate and acceptable least restrictive religion possible? What would it be like?
- One that is willing to take and find truth wherever that may lead. The example of Perennialism above was mentioned specifically because it looks towards a study of all religions in an effort to find the truth.

Do you think this is a waste of time?
- Not at all.

I think culturally people may need answers because of those aorund them when in reality alot of people may not care otherwise.

What is perennialism?

Thanks. (Im not sure if its a waste however when people say it is it feels like I wasted my time making the topic lol.)
We Are Organisms
What is perennialism?

|
|
|
V

Samadhi23
Perennialism, is a perspective within the philosophy of religion which views each of the world’s religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown.

Also known as the Perennial Philosophy.

Greedy Consumer

Lucky~9~Lives
We Are Organisms
What is perennialism?

|
|
|
V

Samadhi23
Perennialism, is a perspective within the philosophy of religion which views each of the world’s religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown.

Also known as the Perennial Philosophy.
Oh sounds unsupported. But popular lol. Unsupported because if itd be historical then we could easily find what makes religion looking at histories of different cultures, but then they would dismiss it because its not a 'single unniversal truth'. Unless Im mistaken, and they are open to non-spiritual explanations.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
There are so many things I value more than every single thing on your poll list.

Focus
Beauty
Growth
Adaptibility/Flexiblity
Mindfulness

What about those?

See, that's the problem with a "universal" religion. Your core concepts have to LITERALLY be universal. Something like "family" might not even be enough in this post-modern trend where many "families" aren't even considered family. Even if, let's say two female partners, their adopted child of a different race, their baby and their surrogate gay father consider themself a family, other people with more traditional "morals" would shudder at classifying their "family" in the same way that this more postmodern family would. Which creates a societal rift. Allowing for these societal rifts is the exact problem with current religions. If a new religion is really going to tackle any problem or deal with any issue that current religions has, it has to address and overcome those problems.

Calelith
Ravyn94

Yeah, I would say buddhism is a philosophy that can function perfectly fine without spirituality or deities. I would definitely say it's a philosophy more than a religion IMHO.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff