Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
We all do things for reasons, a subjective analysis by one person is of no more value than one of another.

Says me.
Why say this if thats subjective then? It devalues basically all analysis including your own analysis right here.

Why on Earth should it being subjective mean it has less value?
As you say if they all don't differ in value, then it devalues all opinions because at some level 'they are all the same' then they will be a dime a dozen, then ignored. Most people already ignore most differing opinions anyways.

Value judgements, being subjective, are devalued as the agent sees fit; this somewhat renders what you're saying to be a non-issue.
Except you said they are all the same value, which contradicts this statement of yours. Even objectively different opinions have different values, such as a large or small opinion, informed or uninformed, valid or invalid.
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
We all do things for reasons, a subjective analysis by one person is of no more value than one of another.

Says me.
Why say this if thats subjective then? It devalues basically all analysis including your own analysis right here.

As you say if they all don't differ in value, then it devalues all opinions because at some level 'they are all the same' then they will be a dime a dozen, then ignored. Most people already ignore most differing opinions anyways.

Value judgements, being subjective, are devalued as the agent sees fit; this somewhat renders what you're saying to be a non-issue.
Except you said they are all the same value, which contradicts this statement of yours. Even objectively different opinions have different values, such as a large or small opinion, informed or uninformed, valid or invalid.

I was referring, of course, to absolute value, in effort to point out that that was none.
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic

I was referring, of course, to absolute value, in effort to point out that that was none.
Absolute value for everything is non making your statement more worthless than the average statement.
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic

Absolute value for everything is non making your statement more worthless than the average statement.

That makes little sense, maybe you should attempt that again.
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic

Yeah lol. Absolute value being redundant makes your statement paradoxical, as it'd be worthless too. So I call it more worthless, because its a waste of time at that rate, basically being off topic. I suppose thats what you normally strive for lol.
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic
Dizzy_Solace
Fermionic

Yeah lol. Absolute value being redundant makes your statement paradoxical, as it'd be worthless too. So I call it more worthless, because its a waste of time at that rate, basically being off topic. I suppose thats what you normally strive for lol.

Accuracy and invested personal value not being objectively pertinent aren't the same thing, that is not a good mistake for you to make.

I can't say I strive for that in particular, though I am at my core an effortless achiever so I guess that's understandable.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
This entire thing is based off of deciphering a platitude into arguing semantics over what makes someone "decent" and turning it into a PC argument of "oh no, someone called someone a piece of s**t" while subsequently shifting the goalposts into an argument which disregards the concept of being "rewarded" and claiming another semantics argument of what it means to be "religious".

As far as what the claim provided is stating, I will state the expectancy of Heaven, while being insufferable assholes on the internet, is an expectancy only the greedy and prideful with convoluted visions of self-grandeur will defend. I'm also not living in a Utopian fairy-tale-land that believes "Heaven" is a just reward for any amount of good deed that I ever do, because I'd rather life on earth than heaven, and I'd rather feel the rage that comes with trying to read moron's responses while defending their 'community's' feel-good, confessional hug-boxes of sheltering and smothering than to be placed in such a setting.

Also, replace "piece of s**t" with "coward"; it flame-baits better.

Top Kek

Kawaii Shapeshifter

19,100 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
I'm not sure it really matters. As long as one is acting as the good person, and not doing secret bad junk, then does it really matter if the expectation of reward is the motivation?

Good behaviour is good behaviour.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Lucky~9~Lives
Mrtyu-Mara
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother, that person is a piece of s**t."

I want to know what peoples' thoughts are on this quote (yes, it's from True Detective).

If a person refers to someone as a piece of s**t, then that person is not decent.

So, basically that person is also a piece of s**t? smile

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Obsidian Dreamlight
I'm not sure it really matters. As long as one is acting as the good person, and not doing secret bad junk, then does it really matter if the expectation of reward is the motivation?

Good behaviour is good behaviour.

Expecting to be rewarded for being "decent", or for "good behavior", renders entitlement.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Weretindere
This entire thing is based off of deciphering a platitude into arguing semantics over what makes someone "decent" and turning it into a PC argument of "oh no, someone called someone a piece of s**t" while subsequently shifting the goalposts into an argument which disregards the concept of being "rewarded" and claiming another semantics argument of what it means to be "religious".

As far as what the claim provided is stating, I will state the expectancy of Heaven, while being insufferable assholes on the internet, is an expectancy only the greedy and prideful with convoluted visions of self-grandeur will defend. I'm also not living in a Utopian fairy-tale-land that believes "Heaven" is a just reward for any amount of good deed that I ever do, because I'd rather life on earth than heaven, and I'd rather feel the rage that comes with trying to read moron's responses while defending their 'community's' feel-good, confessional hug-boxes of sheltering and smothering than to be placed in such a setting.

Also, replace "piece of s**t" with "coward"; it flame-baits better.

Top Kek

People often have a tendency to derail the intended discussion. sweatdrop But no, the color of my glasses are not a nice shade of rose. However, I often yearn for a world where people do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do, rather than expecting to get something out of it.
I think everyone acts based on the potential of a personal benefit whether they admit it or not, or simply don't realize it.
Whether you're acting out of spiritual gain or for the gain that comes from the joy of helping another person, it is still gain either way.
Anyone who helps people knowing that it will negatively affect themselves is either an idiot or doesn't mind being subordinate.

As for what makes a decent, civilized, or admirable person, those are virtues that are far too subjective to create a standard for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff