straight- "bad" 0.038961038961039 3.9% [ 3 ]
bi-"good" 0.064935064935065 6.5% [ 5 ]
bi- "bad"???? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
none of the above 0.31168831168831 31.2% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 77 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6

Eria_Tarento
Lysine
First of all, I think it's impossible for religion to completely not exist because it's just something humans do. Every base religion was independently created from any other, and I think it would take a differently constructed human psyche for religion to not exist.
Secondly, because sex is another thing that will always exist, there will always be opinions on sex, and some people even without religion would think that homosexuality is wrong.

There are people here and now who are not religious but still think that homosexuality is wrong, or people in religions that don't necessarily dictate that point of view.

but if there was no religious argument against it there would be no moral objection to it.

But it doesn't take religion to know something is wrong, for example, murder. We can, pretty much, all agree, no matter what religion one may have, that murder is wrong. Same idea applies with rape.

Though, without religion there would be no standards to what is bad because nothing is set in stone to be good?
Dr Napoleon
Eria_Tarento
Lysine
First of all, I think it's impossible for religion to completely not exist because it's just something humans do. Every base religion was independently created from any other, and I think it would take a differently constructed human psyche for religion to not exist.
Secondly, because sex is another thing that will always exist, there will always be opinions on sex, and some people even without religion would think that homosexuality is wrong.

There are people here and now who are not religious but still think that homosexuality is wrong, or people in religions that don't necessarily dictate that point of view.

but if there was no religious argument against it there would be no moral objection to it.

But it doesn't take religion to know something is wrong, for example, murder. We can, pretty much, all agree, no matter what religion one may have, that murder is wrong. Same idea applies with rape.

Though, without religion there would be no standards to what is bad because nothing is set in stone to be good?

do me a favor and go through every normative ethics theory and find one that labels homosexuality as wrong or you can apply as an objection to it.

Most of those theories (if not all) can explain murder being wrong but none that I've seen can even apply to homosexuality. Only religious morals do that.
This is kind of like the "if a tree falls in a forest and if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound" question. There's no way morality couldn't exist. Same with religion. If religion was a myth, then why have people been practicing it for 2,000 years? A myth has never lasted for that long.
It isn't a sin to be gay, but acting upon it is wrong. Putting your fantasies into action is the sin.
Rosary16

It isn't a sin to be gay, but acting upon it is wrong. Putting your fantasies into action is the sin.

Prove this.
Rosary16
This is kind of like the "if a tree falls in a forest and if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound" question. There's no way morality couldn't exist. Same with religion. If religion was a myth, then why have people been practicing it for 2,000 years? A myth has never lasted for that long.

Actually.

People have been practicing Hinduism for longer than Christianity. Does that make Hinduism right?

PS: Morality =/= religion. And I have seen much harm come from repression of one's sexual orientation.
Rosary16
If religion was a myth, then why have people been practicing it for 2,000 years? A myth has never lasted for that long.

Just because many people have believed in something, doesn't mean it's true.

Rosary16

Thats like saying that it isn't a sin to be straight, but having straight sex is.
It's also a sin to work on the sabbath.
Rosary16
This is kind of like the "if a tree falls in a forest and if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound" question. There's no way morality couldn't exist. Same with religion. If religion was a myth, then why have people been practicing it for 2,000 years?

So all of religion equals Christianity? Or religion is only 2000 years old? I will be sure to tell the Jews that their belief system is not older than yours.

Rosary16
A myth has never lasted for that long.

I hate to do this, but what about the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myths? The myth of the minotaur has lasted a very long time, so surely it is true. Or how about the myth of Atlantis? Or the harpys, medusa, Hecules, etc. You might want to rethink this one, a lot.

Rosary16

It isn't a sin to be straight, but acting upon it is wrong. Putting your fantasies into action is the sin.

Now tell me why both of our sentences are stupid?
I'm sorry. The idea that homosexuals are being punished by AIDS, that anyone could conceive that, still bothers me sweatdrop . Isn't the largest group of people affected my AIDS Africans? What were they supposed to have done against God or nature?

source
source
To answer the title question:

No.
Rosary16
This is kind of like the "if a tree falls in a forest and if there's no one to hear it, does it make a sound" question. There's no way morality couldn't exist. Same with religion. If religion was a myth, then why have people been practicing it for 2,000 years?

true the tree technically doesn't make an actual sound (it still produces a wave but because a sound requires wave and reciever there is no actual sound), but religion =/= morality

deadmanjay

Rosary16
A myth has never lasted for that long.

I hate to do this, but what about the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myths? The myth of the minotaur has lasted a very long time, so surely it is true. Or how about the myth of Atlantis? Or the harpys, medusa, Hecules, etc. You might want to rethink this one, a lot.

Yay for the greeks. They are especially useful to this topic because numerous city states actually encouraged it. ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff