Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Anyway, personally, yes, I believe in faeries and other such creatures, but I'm not honestly sure why I do. It's kind of just something in my gut that tells me I should. Weird, right? And completely illogical and unempirical, but I'm okay with that.

As for how they look? Well, I'm not sure. I think they look however they wish to look. Many people have drawn pictures of faeries and sprites and boggans and pooka (I think I spelled that wrong) and all sorts of different fae-folk, so who's to know where the images come from? I think that artists can be inspired by what they've experienced throughout their many life times, so who knows which artist has actually seen a fae or not. ::shrugs:: But I do love looking at paintings and drawings by people like Brian Froud and Amy Brown and the like. smile

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Reagun Ban
SlaineWildfire
So if it's about discussion, then why don't you explain to her why she's wrong and try to enlighten her? No one's perfect. If she said something incorrectly, you could at least try to give her the facts, especially when you're intelligent and know the facts. I have the utmost respect for you, I really do, I just wish you would explain things a little bit clearer so people can learn all the facts. If you don't want to, that's fine, but I think that it's what ED is all about, getting the facts straight. It's Extended Discussion, not "say I'm right and refuse to say why".

The Tuatha de Dannan.
From Irish meaning people of Anu once removed.

The Tuatha de Dannan were not really fairies, the are more comprable mythologically to Elves.

Thank you sweetheart. smile You're a doll. *hug*
Master_Muse
Why not? Some people believe in the existance of faeries (myself included). It's quite possible to have a serious discussion about them, assuming that it's possible to keep one with the number of annoying people making rather lame jokes.

It's not possible to have a serious discussion about them here, because nobody takes people who believe in faeries seriously except other people who believe in faeries.
Reagun Ban
SlaineWildfire
So if it's about discussion, then why don't you explain to her why she's wrong and try to enlighten her? No one's perfect. If she said something incorrectly, you could at least try to give her the facts, especially when you're intelligent and know the facts. I have the utmost respect for you, I really do, I just wish you would explain things a little bit clearer so people can learn all the facts. If you don't want to, that's fine, but I think that it's what ED is all about, getting the facts straight. It's Extended Discussion, not "say I'm right and refuse to say why".

The Tuatha de Dannan.
From Irish meaning people of Anu once removed.

The Tuatha de Dannan were not really fairies, the are more comprable mythologically to Elves.

sad
Really? For such a long time i thought they were more like faeires, what makes them for like elves?
everyone, find this controversal thread:

WICCA, THE OLDE RELIGION
Guildowl
Really? For such a long time i thought they were more like faeires, what makes them for like elves?

Their DEX and CON racial modifiers.

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
Guildowl
everyone, find this controversal thread:

WICCA, THE OLDE RELIGION

It's not controversial. Everyone worth their salt knows that Wicca was created in the 1950's by Gerald Gardner based on some pretty shady information given to him by a certain coven that may or may not have ever existed.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Guildowl, they were described as being tall, fair, slender, users of powerful magics, excellent swordsmen and archers, glamorous. I think that pretty much covers it.
Considering you're Irish, you should know this.
Then again, I suspect you're about as Irish as french baguettes.
Reagun Ban
Guildowl, they were described as being tall, fair, slender, users of powerful magics, excellent swordsmen and archers, glamorous. I think that pretty much covers it.

Is this stuff common knowledge in Ireland? Or amoung Irish people?

Or do you just know it because you're have brains that are bursting our of your skull, suffocating all those who get within ten feet of you?
Triste Morningstar
Reagun Ban

Or do you just know it because you're have brains that are bursting our of your skull, suffocating all those who get within ten feet of you?

About as Irish as alcoholism.
Reagun Ban

okkaayy, look, i am Native American and Irish, meaning that is where i'm decended from. Thats the terminology i've always been taught to use when people want to know what you're blood is made up from. Sorry if you mistook it that way or i wrote it in a way that you didn't understand. And second of all, i hate baguettes, bread isn't my thing. I enjoy fromage depending on the type with Pate as well. *should have mentioned, i speak some french and am a student of french history* Irish on the other hand, i am not completly familiar with besides certain dieties of the druids.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Triste Morningstar

Yes, we are all taught about Niamh Cinn Oir in school as part of our heritage programme. I'm sure I've posted this before. The stories of the Ulster Cycle in specific are what we're taught. It deals with the Tuatha de a lot.

Triste Morningstar

Ouch.

She claimed to be Irish. It's my pet hate when people who weren't born here, have never been here, don't know our culture language or mythology claim to be irish.
Well now, seeing as how I believe most things are quite possible (including faeries and elves and whatnot), I'd say they are all quite different.

I mean, there are the brownies, and goblins and phookas and all, and none of those look alike. So I say faeries all would look different, depending on which kind they were born from.

Jeering Regular

Reagun Ban
She claimed to be Irish. It's my pet hate when people who weren't born here, have never been here, don't know our culture language or mythology claim to be irish.
That's unnecessarily elitist of you. I mean, I'm of a Norman descent, but I don't know jack s**t about the culture besides there was some archaic worship of Wotan.

That and we kicked some Irish a**. Booyah.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
for those of you with an intrest in the Fae I reccomend this online book:
Robert Kirk - Walker Between Worlds:
http://www.dreampower.com/Kirk_WBW/

it's got some really interesting stuff in it about the nature of the Fae according to Kirk and a modernized english version of Kirk's book, the Secret Commonwealth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff