Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Damn, am I late to the party?

J.T3
I don't understand religons that endorse Jesus Christ

I do. I don't understand why they glorify him like they do, but I do think he was a hoopy frood who really knew where his towel was.

J.T3
I've been baptized under the Catholic Faith, but to be honest I've never actually understood it. I never served first communion nor have I ever participated in Sunday school. I use to attend mass every Sunday when I was a child, but I was just a child and I didn't understand what was going on.

Sounds like you should maybe ask a priest then. They're there for that, you know. Ask questions, figure things out.

J.T3
I some what understand what Jesus did, but I'm often very confused about the aspect of God, Heaven, Purgatory and Hell.

Lots of people are. In regards to the latter three, they're basically possible afterlifes. I'll break it down to simple answers. Good people go to Heaven, bad people go to Hell, good people who have messed up a bit go to Purgatory to get out all the bad stuff before they can be allowed into Heaven.

J.T3
My first concern is God... Was Jesus God? I remember people debating about this because of something he had said to someone.

That's, of course, the million dollar question. Many Christians will say yes, but some may actually say no. Of course, most non-Christians will say no as well. I mean, he was a man. He had parents. You will also hear many Christians say God is his father, which makes it really confusing because you really have to twist your brain around to gather that someone can be their own father. For realism's sake, though, his mother was Mary, his father was Joseph, and he was just a decent rabbi who tried to promote a little change in the Jewish faith when the religious authorities were a bit corrupt. Not to mention the Romans everywhere. He may or may not have done miracles, and he may or may not have been the Messiah (though Jewish prophecies of the Messiah suggest that he was not. He was one of many candidates, and he wasn't even the closest to fulfilling said prophecies).

J.T3
How come God is very vengeful and punishes people by sending them to hell for eternity? A large portion of the world does not believe in the Religion or just doesn't know about it. Does that mean a huge portion of the world will be sent to hell upon dying? Some how I would expect a supreme being to be more forgiving.

He's depicted as an angry and "jealous" deity. Also, back in early Canaanite times, Yahweh was very possibly a god of storms. So there's that too.

Christians believe that non-Christians will go to Hell, yes - though some are actually a bit lenient and will suggest thatanyone who is kind and charitable may go to Heaven. Religion is a fuzzy thing like that, I can't give you any definite answers. Though I should note that many people of other religions have their own views on the afterlife, many also including levels of punishment and reward.

J.T3
How come God seems to be limited? The concept of God usually implies being omniscient and unlimited in terms of power. Yet it seems God is very limited; only having one son...

Aha, there's something too. Many religions have variations upon this in their own way. For instance, in Greek mythology, many gods had half-mortal children - the classic Heroes. And in Hindu mythology, the gods would sometimes become Incarnate in mortal forms often. Though the only one I can think of off the top of my head was Vishnu, who would come down to protect the world often in various avatars.

And you're right, the Abrahamic God does seem very limited for such an omnipotent being. For instance, in Genesis, Adam and Eve, and if I'm not mistaken their son Cain, manage to hide from God. Hide. From God. To me, it feels a bit like saying your king knows all and sees all - he doesn't, but for the sake of ensuring no one revolts, the people in power choose to spread the rumor anyway.

J.T3
I try to put things in perspective... People back then where not really that intelligent or skeptical. They blindly believed a lot of things with out much logic. Makes me believe a one person could trick a mass group of people into doing something with a little intelligence and foresight.

Pretty much. Humanity has always been very superstitious - it comes with our mindset - and over time we developed the concepts of gods and such. The only problem is, we also have a habit of anthropomorphizing everything. And when we do that with things that are supposed to be more powerful than us, it becomes an odd contradiction of making the infinite finite. Which is just ridiculous.

I mean, let's face it. If there's a God, it cannot be in any way human. I mean, sure, we're going to be a part of it in some way - or it's a part of us - but not necessarily in any way we'd immediately recognize.

I'm sorry if I ranted any. Long story short, I understand where you're coming from. And I do think you should maybe take it up with someone "in the know," like a priest or a monk or somebody. If their answers are not good enough, find someone who might have the answers, perhaps the clergy of another religion. You're probably at that age where you're asking a lot of those questions about God, and yourself. So yeah, go and ask about. Look up some stuff on Wikipedia if you feel up for it.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Pseudo-Onkelos
This thread is now in M&R? Ugh.

^Best post in the entire thread.
J.T3
I've been baptized under the Catholic Faith, but to be honest I've never actually understood it. I never served first communion nor have I ever participated in Sunday school. I use to attend mass every Sunday when I was a child, but I was just a child and I didn't understand what was going on.

I some what understand what Jesus did, but I'm often very confused about the aspect of God, Heaven, Purgatory and Hell.

My first concern is God... Was Jesus God? I remember people debating about this because of something he had said to someone.

How come God is very vengeful and punishes people by sending them to hell for eternity? A large portion of the world does not believe in the Religion or just doesn't know about it. Does that mean a huge portion of the world will be sent to hell upon dying? Some how I would expect a supreme being to be more forgiving.

How come God seems to be limited? The concept of God usually implies being omniscient and unlimited in terms of power. Yet it seems God is very limited; only having one son...

I try to put things in perspective... People back then where not really that intelligent or skeptical. They blindly believed a lot of things with out much logic. Makes me believe a one person could trick a mass group of people into doing something with a little intelligence and foresight.

Jesus and God are not the same person. There is God, known to me as "Heavenly Father", and there is Jesus, who is God's son, but who has also ascended to the level of God. Basically Jesus can be called by the title of God, but he isn't the same person as his father.

I believe that everyone will have a chance to learn about the gospel and choose whether or not to accept it before they are judged. his chance may come during your life on earth or during the after life-- I don't believe the day of judgement comes right when you die.

God did not only have one son. He describes Jesus as his only "begotten" son (not sure exactly what that means but it probably has something to do with Christ's important role), but every one of us are his spiritual sons and daughters.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
J.T3

Let me first ask you this because I can't tell from your post. And I'm asking with an attitude of sincerity, not aggression. Have you read the Bible? The whole thing?
Jfigu1008
J.T3

Let me first ask you this because I can't tell from your post. And I'm asking with an attitude of sincerity, not aggression. Have you read the Bible? The whole thing?

Nope, I didn't take offence to that. I was going to mention it in my initial post but I forgot to.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
J.T3
Jfigu1008
J.T3

Nope, I didn't take offence to that. I was going to mention it in my initial post but I forgot to.

Alrighty then, now that I know, I can finally say what I was going to say at first.

Many of the concerns and questions you have can actually be answered by reading the book itself. I know it might be a commitment issue, but people who read it are usually glad they did. Even if they don't believe in it.

You'll be satisfied with how many of your questions are addressed, but you may not be happy with some of what the bible says. But on a positive note, you'll be a mile ahead of most people here who have probably never finished it.

Oh yeah, and despite what people say here, take their answers with a grain of salt. After reading from these forums I think it's safe to say that the blind are leading the blind. There are only a few here who seem to have any idea what they're talking about.
J.T3, being baptized in any faith is not salvation according to the Bible. You only have to believe and confess then you will be saved. 1Jn 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
So also although Jesus is the only begotten son of God we are His children created in His image. That is why there is always a longing for the unknown divinity, of a greater power than us. He put it in us.
J.T3

In the Bible, Jesus did claim to be God every day of His life. He let people worship Him, He forgave people of their sins, He healed others, He broke the Sabbath Day Rule, and He even called Himself the great "I AM".

(in case you don't know....Moses talked to God at a burning bush. God revealed Himself to Moses as Yahweh, or "I AM", as His name. Jesus, when He told the Pharisees, "Before Abraham was, I Am" he was claiming to be the Great I Am of the Old Testament).

Wether or not He was/is God just depends on if you believe His statements to be true.

J.T3

It is not that he sends people to Hell for acting up. It is that we are all born sinful and into a sinful nature, and hell is just naturally where we go. Jesus died to save us from our sins, and now we can choose whether or not to let Jesus' Spirit live inside of us (The Holy Spirit, a part of the Trinity). So God doesn't send us to Hell for disobeying. It's that we just naturally go there because of our sinfulness, and we can only go to Heaven if we're saved.

For people who have never heard the gospel, Yahweh (God) judges them based on how they followed the natural moral code that is written on everyone's hearts. It is frustrating when Christians condemn those who have never heard the Gospel and say they're without excuse. They're ignoring the Bible. Check out Romans 10:14-15: "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,[h]
Who bring glad tidings of good things!"

J.T3

How does that make Him limited..?

J.T3

That's a big problem in the Western Church (Christians in the middle east are not like this at all). Many people here are blind to the Bible and what it actually says, and are very hypocritical. Many times corrupt pastors even use Christianity as a means to control others or get money out of them, like in the false teachings of the "Prosperity Gospel".

f.y.i. I've been a Christian most of my life, but lately I've been leaning towards agnosticism. Before anyone judges me.

Invisible Seeker

19,275 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
In 1054 the Christian Church underwent the great schism. You then had two groups. I won't count the multitude of heretics. According to an Orthodox Christian, the Roman Catholics broke away from the church and changed it's Creed and other things. Roman Catholics also believe there is an infallible Pope. Jesus is God the Son, not to be confused with God the Father or God The Holy Spirit. God doesn't want to send people to Hell. If someone will not follow Him, and goes in the opposite direction, you end up in Hell. It takes great effort and faith to follow God. It is not Gods fault if you choose to live a sinful life. God is not limited at all, and gives us free will to choose good or evil. He has one perfect only begotten Son, but we are all His children.

Dapper Reveler

Hell was made up by the catholic church to scare people. if you read the bible there is no mention of hell in it. and if you read the new testament, which is the actual teachings of jesus it's all about loving everyone.
prin integrity
Hell was made up by the catholic church to scare people. if you read the bible there is no mention of hell in it. and if you read the new testament, which is the actual teachings of jesus it's all about loving everyone.

"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels...'"
- Matthew 25:41
Lucky~9~Lives
prin integrity

"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels...'"
- Matthew 25:41

does it say Hell there? no it does not. it just says eternal fire. Hell described by Christians is not "an eternal fire" but separation from God.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff