Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
That reminds me of the million dollar question of this thread: if everything, including what is "natural," constitutes a god, is the belief natural or supernatural?

Supernatural; it posits a supernatural entity (god).

Secular humanism rejects supernatural claims.
The New Wineskin

No, it merely places no value on supernatural claims.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin

Are you saying Wikipedia is lying to me? emotion_donotwant
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin

I'm saying you're lying about Wikipedia; that only says secular humanism rejects supernatural claims as the basis of morality and decision making. At least, as far as I read.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin

I'm saying you're lying about Wikipedia; that only says secular humanism rejects supernatural claims as the basis of morality and decision making. At least, as far as I read.

Humanist Manifesto I
FIFTH: Humanism asserts that the nature of the universe depicted by modern science makes unacceptable any supernatural or cosmic guarantees of human values. Obviously humanism does not deny the possibility of realities as yet undiscovered, but it does insist that the way to determine the existence and value of any and all realities is by means of intelligent inquiry and by the assessment of their relations to human needs. Religion must formulate its hopes and plans in the light of the scientific spirit and method.

SIXTH: We are convinced that the time has passed for theism, deism, modernism, and the several varieties of "new thought".

These two proclamations seem to suggest a rejection of pantheism.
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin

Humanist Manifesto I
FIFTH: Humanism asserts that the nature of the universe depicted by modern science makes unacceptable any supernatural or cosmic guarantees of human values. Obviously humanism does not deny the possibility of realities as yet undiscovered, but it does insist that the way to determine the existence and value of any and all realities is by means of intelligent inquiry and by the assessment of their relations to human needs. Religion must formulate its hopes and plans in the light of the scientific spirit and method.

SIXTH: We are convinced that the time has passed for theism, deism, modernism, and the several varieties of "new thought".

Not all secular humanists are American Humanist Associates.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives

Humanist Manifesto I

While true, the manifesto was written by the father of secular humanism and I do not know of any secular humanist foundations that reject the ideas outlined in their manifestos.
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Humanist Manifesto I

While true, the manifesto was written by the father of secular humanism and I do not know of any secular humanist foundations that reject the ideas outlined in their manifestos.

I took the OP to mean secular humanism as a philosophical stance - like pantheism - not as a social movement.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Humanist Manifesto I

I took the OP to mean secular humanism as a philosophical stance - like pantheism - not as a social movement.

*shrug* razz

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Lucky~9~Lives
The New Wineskin
Humanist Manifesto I

*shrug* razz

I'm with Lucky on this one. I take secular humanism to mean a philosophical stance more than a social movement or a political affiliation.

Zealot

Can a humanist adopt the sense of spirituality as held by a pantheist? Yup.

Can a pantheist be a secular humanist? A bit of an iffy area. A pantheist can be secular and also a humanist- but the term secular humanism has much more attached to it these days.

Where does the sense of spirituality come from for a humanist? Depends on the humanist.

Where does the sense of ethics come from for a pantheist? Like most people that aren't heavily tied to dogma, a pantheist would get it from wherever they think is best to get their sense of ethics from. Whether that be a spiritual source, following their gut feelings, or whether it is influenced by certain philosophies. They may even choose to reject the idea of ethics.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff