11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
rmcdra
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
rmcdra
Amor Sempiternus
Citations and credible sources would help your point.
Encyclopia of Wars (3 Volume set)
Records 1763 wars. Only 123 of the wars covered have religious causes.
Wow. I didn't think there were that many wars over religion. I thought it would have been less than that for some reason.
I didn't realize that there were nearly 2000 wars.
To be honest, I would have thought that number would have been higher.
-Soul in this universe-
religion as a pretext or cause?

Too bad that 0% of all wars had no religious pretext or cause... It's sad enough that people enter war do to lack or resources. To think something that horrific can be enabled by belief is sickening.

If there is a discussion here, it will be one I no longer partake in. Just like the one trying to justify slavery... I think I will wait until no one posts on this topic and simply leaves it to be forgotten.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

So, OP, tell me. How many wars were there on Earth, ever?

User ImageUser Image

Lady Kin

Less than 50% of the population are serial killers rofl

Doesn't mean it isn't a problem.
-Soul in this universe-
How many atheists here know that less than 50% of wars have religion as a pretext or cause?

And are you trying to use this “evidence” to prove that religion is a negative thing? Or a positive thing? Because if you’re leaning towards the latter, then you’re kinda biting yourself in the butt. It’s like saying, “OH HEY, religion isn’t that bad! It’s only caused a few wars. Nobigdeal.”
Did you know that 77% of arguments can be won by throwing in a statistic...
Oh and quickly... you realise the fact that there have been 123 wars started based on religion.... is not a point in religions favour right?

Familiar Smoker

X-Yami-no-Ko-X
rmcdra
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
rmcdra
Amor Sempiternus
Citations and credible sources would help your point.
Encyclopia of Wars (3 Volume set)
Records 1763 wars. Only 123 of the wars covered have religious causes.
Wow. I didn't think there were that many wars over religion. I thought it would have been less than that for some reason.
I didn't realize that there were nearly 2000 wars.
To be honest, I would have thought that number would have been higher.
It is, keep in mind that this is only the wars that happened in the last 5000 years (give or take) and only the ones that were recorded, and who's record survives to this day.

Greedy Capitalist

IMO, politics uses religion as a mean to initiate war. Since there are lots of religious fanatics I say, not believers, these people engage in to war. But then again, there are other factors that causes many wars.
Ranga runner
Oh and quickly... you realise the fact that there have been 123 wars started based on religion.... is not a point in religions favour right?
123 over 5,000 years is a pretty good track record. That's like, in a time we can relate to, getting sick for about 3 minutes out of your entire 70 year life.
Quote:
Too bad that 0% of all wars had no religious pretext or cause

Wow,I did'nt know World War i was religious!!
The cause of most wars-

What About Atrocities That Have Been Done in the Name of Religion?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/atrocities.html

Is religion the cause of most wars?
http://www.gotquestions.org/religion-war.html

Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1121/p09s01-coop.html
Death by Government
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/DBG.CHAP1.HTM
Derek Gibson
Ranga runner
123 over 5,000 years is a pretty good track record. That's like, in a time we can relate to, getting sick for about 3 minutes out of your entire 70 year life.

Completely awful argument. War does not put a 'pretty good track record' on anything.
War is awful. People die in war. The fact these people died over who had a better imaginary friend just makes it all worse
Ranga runner
Derek Gibson
Ranga runner

Completely awful argument. War does not put a 'pretty good track record' on anything.
War is awful. People die in war. The fact these people died over who had a better imaginary friend just makes it all worse

All religions have imaginary friends now?
Derek Gibson
Ranga runner

Only if each war lasted approximately 2 minutes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff