Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Citizen

If you are mindlessly accepting things to be true or false based on what others tell you, then you might have a problem.

If you are taking the time to test those facts, find sources, and questioning validity, probably not.

Greedy Consumer

Llorin
I have a radical theories... concerning morality and lifestyle.
I have grown up consuming large doses of anime and manga all my life. As we all know manga and anime come from primarily from Japan.

I have consumed so much Japanese sub-doubled anime... that I actually think in Japanese language and I have Japanese ticks.

How do I know if I have been partially brainwashed -or even corrupted- by Japanese culture? Japanese societies are very competitive under constant pressure and this is reflected in manga...since I have consumed manga and anime during my childhood and adolescence, how can I know if I have lost some kind of inner personal peace?

Forget about anime, manga and Japanese culture... How could I know that I haven't been brainwashed by the government or society?

There is a way to escape the brainwashing that you don't notice?? Can I truly trust my senses?
http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/DOC/statement06.html
xXZirkannia
If you are mindlessly accepting things to be true or false based on what others tell you, then you might have a problem.

If you are taking the time to test those facts, find sources, and questioning validity, probably not.

Exactly, but I can not test every single fact in science.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
Tabula Rasa is what I believe. You were- at one time- a clean slate. You filled that clean slate with anime/manga, your mind is extremely flexible and is definitely influenced by your world, your experiences. You have structured your mind around the japanese culture. Of course, you're going to develop some sort of sympathy for a japanese mentality. If you think this is wrong, surround yourself with a different environment, different media. Your mind does not exist in a vacuum. What you put in is what you'll get out. If you have a problem with being 'brainwashed' by anime, change your media. Get rid of media. It works, believe me. Surround yourself by people you want to be like, with media that inspires you, and use that brainwashing to your advantage!
Quote:
What religion do you follow? If Manga and Anime is more important to you then your own religion, I would say it's a problem. Unless you don't care about religion.

For example, your like praying however you pray, and then one of the episodes you watched is running through your head disturbing you, because your so obsessed. I don't know.

What is inner peace for you?

My religion is Catholicism.
I think that my religion has a lot of similarities with manga/anime arguments. There is no conflict between them. There are a good side and a bad side. Our hero has superpowers. It is obvious that he could destroy the bad ones. But the bad guys are evil and sadistic. Our hero suffers. Then destroys the source of evil while the bad guys are left to think about their actions.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Llorin
Quote:
What religion do you follow? If Manga and Anime is more important to you then your own religion, I would say it's a problem. Unless you don't care about religion.

For example, your like praying however you pray, and then one of the episodes you watched is running through your head disturbing you, because your so obsessed. I don't know.

I think that my religion has a lot of similarities with manga/anime arguments. There is no conflict between them. There are a good side and a bad side. Our hero has superpowers. It is obvious that he could destroy the bad ones. But the bad guys are evil and sadistic. Our hero suffers. Then destroys the source of evil while the bad guys are left to think about their actions.

For the last time, sir.
I ask you to translate the paragraph I posted into Japanese, the language you claim to think in, or to admit that you are lying, for whatever reason.

Liberal Dabbler

Henry Hobo-Master
Everyone is brainwashed. The fact that you can't see it, means that you don't understand what "brainwashing" actually is.

Clothing, Music, Movies, Morality, Politics, Religion, Economics, perspectives as a person and on other people... These are typical "brainwashing" tools.

If you were not brainwashed, you would be living in a cave, eating rabbits and berries. But society got to you first, and said that you should watch TV shows, you should buy a computer, and go onto these websites, and dress a certain way. Society has even created a language and money-transfer system, along with many jobs and social norms to help everyone be more effectively brainwashed.

Brainwashing doesn't have to be all bad. But you are brainwashed, whether or not anime/manga has a play in it.

Are you saying that all contemporary media is infused with propaganda, or are you playing semantics games with "culture?"
CuAnnan
Llorin
Quote:

For the last time, sir.
I ask you to translate the paragraph I posted into Japanese, the language you claim to think in, or to admit that you are lying, for whatever reason.

I think random words in romaji like: bakana, subarashi, conemasay, etc...

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Llorin
I think random words in romaji like: bakana, subarashi, conemasay, etc...

So you don't think in Japanese, at all, which was your claim.
You substitute random English words for what you assume to be their equivalent in Japanese. Showing that you don't think in Japanese at all, see linguistic relativism, but in 100% English and use a transformation.

That's not Japanese.
It's English.
With an accent of "entitled white american trying to be different".

We see it a lot here.

And don't like it.

Particularly when it's pretending to be something it's not.

What we like here is intellectual integrity and honesty.

You should try them some time.

They might stop you replacing random words in a language you do understand for words in a language you do not.

Dapper Reveler

Llorin

It's true, I shouldn't listen music while doing homework. It is not efficient. It is also bad.
"Bad" is a weird way to describe something.

Distinct Dabbler

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
In a way your kind of brainwashed by everything.
People are like sponges, we absorb information.

A lot of people want to believe that they can go through life not being affected by anything.
These are the people that think that ads, TV, and other forms of media don't affect them. When in fact, they are brainwashed without even realizing it.

In order to avoid it, I think it's important to just be very aware, and question the information that you consume. Is this good information that you are consuming? Or is it bad?
Lol, I don't think it's a bad thing to pick up on Japanese ticks. (I've picked up on a few myself. xD) But it's just important to be aware of it, and analyze whether it's good or bad.

For example, I consume a lot of yaoi. Boys love is just so adorable, and I really love the story lines, compared to the average shoujo manga.
Although there is good yaoi, there is quite a lot of crap out there too. A lot of it supports rape, dominance, the idea that "no" actually means "yes", and even violent sex in some instances.
Of course, all of these things are drawn beautifully so they don't look that bad. In fact they often look like positive things. It;s very glamorized.

When I was younger, I didn't do a good job filtering the positive yaoi from the utter crap.

A few years ago, I picked up a book that talked by males experience with rape in there lives. While I was reading it, even though I knew these boys had suffered, I ended up unconsciously romanticizing there rape experiences.
When I realized what I was thinking, I realized that yaoi had in fact brain washed me.

I was romanticizing something tragic and horrible that happened to someone else...This is a horrible mind set to have.

So it's important to question the hidden meanings behind the things you experience on a day to day basis.
You have not been brainwashed, you are merely a weeaboo in denial.

Now lets get the facts on the table, okay ? You think that media has somehow brainwashed you and made you stray from the path, if its true then you are merely paranoid.

Japan wants to produces ONLY for its country, USA is the one taking anime/manga and placing it on your TV. Now Japan is elitist as ********, why would it care about some filthy gaijins ? ( Yeah thats how elitist they are )Because those guys target ONLY japanese audience and nothing more, of course mangas and animes have been heavily influences by the west but they still want to sell their things ONLY to japan. Rarely will you see animes or mangas that DONT pander to the japanese otaku that will spend its whole salary on some figurines or merchandize.

You are merely paranoid about the whole ordeal but if you want to "straight your path" then actualize yourself on whats going on in the world, read about economy and investigate each culture's pros and cons. After a while you'll notice that you have only been paranoid and that you just wasted your time over analyzing Japan.

After all if you think that anime/manga is a way to brainwash america and not Japan wanting to take its costumer's money then you just missed the entire point of Japan puking SOL and Harem every single season

Also inform yourself first, then you'll see that any attempt of lies will be easily crushed with your now rational way of thinking that will lead to a rational answer, making any attempt of shoving lies through your throat null.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Vortex_Marauder
Japan wants to produces ONLY for its country, USA is the one taking anime/manga and placing it on your TV. Now Japan is elitist as ********, why would it care about some filthy gaijins ?

That's some nice casual racism you have going on there.

Vortex_Marauder
Because those guys target ONLY japanese audience and nothing more, of course mangas and animes have been heavily influences by the west but they still want to sell their things ONLY to japan.

Then why do they spend money translating their Anime and Manga?
CuAnnan

That's some nice casual racism you have going on there.

Welcome to Japan

CuAnnan
Then why do they spend money translating their Anime and Manga?

>Spend
>Not earn
>Implying Japan does the translations

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Vortex_Marauder
Welcome to Japan

Not really.
I've been.
I found none of what you talk about.
I have friends from Japan.
They display nothing of what you talk about, despite being quite conservative.
The term "gaijin" was used jokingly once to describe me by a grandparent. I expressed that I understood the term and found it disrespectful, the grandparent apologised and expressed that its literal meaning had not

Vortex_Marauder
Spend
Not earn
Implying its Japan who does the translations

The context here was "the anime studies", not the nation.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff