Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Sentai

You may be mentally sound
But if you are walking down the street and Kuja appears and commands you to kidnap a princess and extract eidilons from her you may have a problem....

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Ranga runner
You may be mentally sound
But if you are walking down the street and Kuja appears and commands you to kidnap a princess and extract eidilons from her you may have a problem....

You mean that doesn't happen to everybody?

Greedy Consumer

in an anime someone was brainwashed, he did things not because he wanted or needed to but because he just did. Not necesarily applies to real life though.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Llorin
I have consumed so much Japanese sub-doubled anime... that I actually think in Japanese language and I have Japanese ticks.

Really?
Would you mind translating the following into Japanese, please:
"It is conceivable that, though linguistic relativism plays a large part of the cognitive modelling of a human being, a language can be learned without immersion in the culture; however, I do not believe that watching anime provides a large enough grounding in the grammar or vocabulary of a language and therefore that your position is, at best, spurious"?

I have used a variety of linguistic and polemic contrivances that, while by no means exclusive to English, should provide at least a meaningful challenge to the translation process. However, since you "think" in Japanese, it should be relatively straight forward. I was sure to choose only phrases that, as someone actively fluent in two languages who has (in passing) studied neurolinguistics, I myself could translate between the two with relative ease.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
CuAnnan
It is conceivable that, though linguistic relativism plays a large part of the cognitive modelling of a human being, a language can be learned without immersion in the culture; however, I do not believe that watching anime provides a large enough grounding in the grammar or vocabulary of a language and therefore that your position is, at best, spurious

Cé go bfhuil coibhneastathas teangamhar tabhachtach do múnlamhois intinmhear, tá sé le shamhlú go eoltaíoch teanga gan tumoideachais inna uathúlacht háithmhear, ach ní dóigh liom go taghainn féachant ar anime go leor tuisceant sa ríallacha nó fóclóireamha den teanga, 's dá bhrí sin, cheapamm go bfhuil do argóint lag.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
The only thing crazy about you is you thought Japanese culture brainwashed you, when the truth is Japan did absolutely nothing to you.
Blood Valkyrie
The only thing crazy about you is you thought Japanese culture brainwashed you, when the truth is Japan did absolutely nothing to you.

It did.
Mere existence harms others.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Llorin
Blood Valkyrie

It did.
Mere existence harms others.

Please support evidence for your claims by providing a translation of the text I posted.
Or do the honorable thing and admit you were bullshitting.
Everyone is brainwashed. The fact that you can't see it, means that you don't understand what "brainwashing" actually is.

Clothing, Music, Movies, Morality, Politics, Religion, Economics, perspectives as a person and on other people... These are typical "brainwashing" tools.

If you were not brainwashed, you would be living in a cave, eating rabbits and berries. But society got to you first, and said that you should watch TV shows, you should buy a computer, and go onto these websites, and dress a certain way. Society has even created a language and money-transfer system, along with many jobs and social norms to help everyone be more effectively brainwashed.

Brainwashing doesn't have to be all bad. But you are brainwashed, whether or not anime/manga has a play in it.
Self test.

Make a comprehensive list of rational and critical question. Say twenty of them.
Ask yourself the question and provide the answer. If the answer you have is because of logic, science, fact, or personal discovery, then check +
If you have an answer that exists because you were told it was the case, but you did not find out for yourself, or you do not possess the knowledge and rather, you have an assumption, then check -.
If you are done and you have more - than + then there is a decent chance you are brainwashed or thinking irrationally.
YourBelovedSatan
It's quite simple; you have the ability to ask around if you are brainwashed or have gone mad. Of course, the answer is no.

What if everyone has been brainwashed somehow?
The Faithful Forgotten
Self test.

Make a comprehensive list of rational and critical question. Say twenty of them.
Ask yourself the question and provide the answer. If the answer you have is because of logic, science, fact, or personal discovery, then check +
If you have an answer that exists because you were told it was the case, but you did not find out for yourself, or you do not possess the knowledge and rather, you have an assumption, then check -.
If you are done and you have more - than + then there is a decent chance you are brainwashed or thinking irrationally.

The answers to my questions are logical to me but not to the other... but I choose the question and I choose the answer... how can I know that I am not avoiding the right questions and answers?
Llorin
The Faithful Forgotten
Self test.

The answers to my questions are logical to me but not to the other... but I choose the question and I choose the answer... how can I know that I am not avoiding the right questions and answers?

Keeping it in context. But if for any reason you doubt being able to ask yourself appropriate questions, you can always have someone else ask you questions with similar screening, provided they too are not being overly biased about it.

Hallowed Hunter

Konnichiwa.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas