Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm catholic and I question whether God exists or not. Whenever I'm in church I'm overwhelmed with confusion whether or not God exists because the priest keeps telling us things about God. Other than that I was in catholic school for two years. We would read textbooks about the catholic religion as well as read a couple of things from the bible. Even though I got baptized as a baby and I've been exposed to the Catholic religion for quite a while, I still question the existence of God. The only reason to why I say that I'm catholic is only because I got baptized as one in my local catholic church as a baby.

My dad says that I keep questioning about God's existence because I think in a very logical manner, and believing God is about faith. I don't understand how someone can 100% believe in God if most people have a hard time answering questions such as:

How do we know that God is watching over all of us if we have a roof above our head? Doesn't that block his vision?

Why hasn't God talk to me? I remember praying to him and telling him to bless me and my family. I always wanted him to talk to me so that I know for sure he exists. And plus, it would make me feel assured that someone is really looking out there for me. Doesn't God want me to feel good, too?

People say that God comes from a world where cause and effect doesn't exist, as well as time. But how do we know that if we never discovered that world physically?

This is not a debate. I just want people's opinions on this and hopefully it will ease my confusion a bit.
ashangel299
How do we know that God is watching over all of us if we have a roof above our head? Doesn't that block his vision?

Maybe God sees in infra-red.

ashangel299
Why hasn't God talk to me? I remember praying to him and telling him to bless me and my family. I always wanted him to talk to me so that I know for sure he exists. And plus, it would make me feel assured that someone is really looking out there for me. Doesn't God want me to feel good, too?

Maybe you only think it would make you feel good, when in fact it would make you feel sad.

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lucky~9~Lives
ashangel299

Maybe God sees in infra-red.

ashangel299

Maybe you only think it would make you feel good, when in fact it would make you feel sad.

I see that you're trying to think of the possible answers to the questions.. but I'm looking for more of an answer that has evidence to it.
ashangel299
People say that God comes from a world where cause and effect doesn't exist, as well as time.

Something in a world where time doesn't exist can't come from anywhere; "to come from" involves the notion of being somewhere (the place one has come from) at some other time (the past).

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
ashangel299
I

This kind of made me go "Awww" but ill take it seriously.

Within the definition of Omnipotence (an atribute of God) is the ability to know all events regardless of physical constraints.

Think of it like he's got the best Magic Seeing Ball ever...except that the ball is an intergrated part of what he is.

Quote:

Often God's messages and responses are clear and active in the world around you as event's and actions.
Only Prophets get to have God speak one on one, it's not something the common person gets.

Quote:

People say that God comes from a world where cause and effect doesn't exist, as well as time. But how do we know that if we never discovered that world physically?

We take it on Faith and on Logical Deduction of facts.

Oh and a place where cause effect and time don't exist, would not be able to be physically located , as a criteria for being "physical" is that it is subject to physical laws..such as cause and effect and time.

5,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
ashangel299

You are super cute. (: God's not limited by three dimensional space like we are, so he's basically everywhere.

ashangel299

God either doesn't care or he talks to you through other people. There will never be a way to know for certain whether he exists or not.
But, use John 20:29 as motivation:
Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

ashangel299

Faith. God will never be scientifically proven.

I recommend you read the bible and gain an understanding of it yourself - your priests/parents aren't always 100% right, so you can only trust in yourself fully. Reading arguments for and against God Fine-tuned universe etc. versus Russell's teapot etc.) and come to your own decision. Religion is a very big part of everybody's life, so be sure to think for yourself as well as listening to the people around you! smile
Nobody knows if God exists or not.
plushik
Reading arguments for and against God (Pascals Wager,)

Pascal's Wager is, in no way, an argument for God's existence.

5,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
Fermionic
plushik
Reading arguments for and against God (Pascals Wager,)

Pascal's Wager is, in no way, an argument for God's existence.

Whoops, you caught me. Edited ^^
ashangel299
If God is omnipresent there's no barriers that can be erected to keep you actually away from Him.

Quote:
Why hasn't God talk to me?
Through doubt you act as the active blockade.
Quote:
Doesn't God want me to feel good, too?
The revelation of God cannot play out where doubt rests. Your happiness and wellbeing are the goals but actively communicating with you, though it may increase your clout in said areas, is not necessity esp. with open rejection afoot.

Quote:
We don't. Also that proposition is just that, a proposal, it has no basis. Disregard it. The question of "Where does God come from?" is both trivial and unanswerable much like the questions about whether you were fated to be or I was fated to say this to you.

Dangerous Raider

11,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Why don't you ask God Himself? He'll answer you if you're paying attention.
You might not audibly hear Him, but read His word, pray to Him like you'd talk to your dad, and LOOK for him. You'll get nowhere if you're just spoon-fed your religion like a child.

Newbie Noob

6,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
ashangel299

Just to answer everything in one swoop. We don't know if any of the claims of deities exist. It is all up to what makes you happy. I don't fault people for believing in a god. I just don't accept the claim because of lack of sufficient evidence. It really sounds like you are starting to question your religion. I think you should just do some research on your own and not be influenced by other people. That way you can find out what you believe and not be influenced by others. I wish you good luck. This is not going to be easy.

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nobody really knows with exact certainty if God exists, but at the same time, nobody is completely sure that there is no God.

I believe in God because it seems rather unlikely that all of the universe happened by accident. I'm a theistic evolutionist.
Snake Oil Salesman
Nobody really knows with exact certainty if God exists, but at the same time, nobody is completely sure that there is no God.

Source?

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Snake Oil Salesman

Source?

People can claim to know that God exists/doesn't exist, and genuinely believe it, but is this true knowledge?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff