Welcome to Gaia! ::

Every religion has its ups and downs and many have those that dont really believe. Now it makes me wonder how can you tell the genuine from the fake? Many "Fluffs"(and I dont really like using that term) believe that they are genuine on their belifs but are really at times only folling them seleves. However once and a while they come across as such a strone believer. So, is there a way to really tell?

Its the same with many other religions that I have come across. Its not just a pagan thing(though its most common in pagans).
Well, it's a question of faith. You cannot "prove" that God (or whoever it is that someone believes in) exists, you have to have faith. Personally, I'm not sure why I have faith in God and my religion, but it makes sense to me, and so I trust it.
Here comes a couple of copper from the fence sitter. It is my belief that all of us have a soul (you may incinerate me at will), and furthermore, that this soul is a smaller portion of the great beyound. When the soul is on the right path, it will know, it will "feel" right... there are many roads one can walk in life, not all of them come to cross purposes. The path that is right for me, is right for me, not necessarily for everyone else. If someone has found something that works for them, good for them, it would be nice if they could explain it, without misusing words for already existing faiths, or belief structures. If someone can find enlightenment by petting bunnies and hugging trees, then more power to them. I don't think the beliefs are in error, the nomenclature (please say I didn't mispell that) may need some help, but that's just somatics.
Sometimes its just hard to tell between those that genuinly believe what they believe and feel and those that dont.
Unless you can meet someone face to face, it's very hard to know if they're presenting their actual beliefs. For all you know, I could be a member of the Christian coalition, an ardent enemy of all knowledge other than that wihich supports me. I could burn books. I don't, but all you have is my word (carried by tiny electrons) on it. Even when face to face with someone, they can occassionally be tricksy. When in doubt go with your heart (or gut, if you think with your stomach like me), the soul rarely lies to it's host.
True. Sometimes the borders are ify. I mean many people I have talked to on Gaia seem serious and genuine but every once and a while they say something that makes me feel otherwise.

I dont dought you. I definatly dont dought nuri or Deo. Triste is obvious from the way she posts and others i cant always tell. I hope people can tell that I am sincere in my belifs and posts but I dont always present the best argument.

Does it really resort to the sources you use to back up your arguments or should there really be more?
Genuine people can only be told by their actions. If they don't act according to what they believe then they are fakers. xp
You can't, which is why I'm agnostic.
Ketsuekigata
You can't, which is why I'm agnostic.
Thats actually probabaly one of the best answeres I've receieved yet. Its also probabaly one of the best reasons I've heard for being agnostic as well.
Well, with that whole Christianity thing, they have the Bible. Those Jew guys have their Torah. Muslims have that Qu'ran thingamy. The Tao Te Ching is used in lots of eastern religions. If you're Raelian, they have a website (oh yeah, gullible isn't in the dictionary). Wiccans have covens with traditions from the original creators (which should be pretty accurate, seeing as they came about 50 years ago).

Religions have structure. You cant call yourself a Wiccan, and then go and decide that you're the type of Wiccan that wants to worship only Athena. They dont mix. You cant be a Christian and then say "Hey, I'm the type of Christian who worships Buddha" and still be a Christian (plus there are far more things that are wrong about that statement).
Arilavent
Well, with that whole Christianity thing, they have the Bible. Those Jew guys have their Torah. Muslims have that Qu'ran thingamy. The Tao Te Ching is used in lots of eastern religions. If you're Raelian, they have a website (oh yeah, gullible isn't in the dictionary). Wiccans have covens with traditions from the original creators (which should be pretty accurate, seeing as they came about 50 years ago).
The traditions are pretty accurate. Atleast from my interactions with them. While I agree that each of those religions having their own holly books it doenst mean that they all actually read it.

Arilavent
Religions have structure. You cant call yourself a Wiccan, and then go and decide that you're the type of Wiccan that wants to worship only Athena. They dont mix.
OMG BUD DATS WHAT SRW SAYS YOUR TRYING TO BRING BACK THE BURNING TIMES 11!!11!! I completly agree with you there. I just wanted to show where so many people get that idea.
Arilavent
You cant be a Christian and then say "Hey, I'm the type of Christian who worships Buddha" and still be a Christian (plus there are far more things that are wrong about that statement).
I agree with this here. However you can be a Christaian and use some Buddhist philosphies in your own life.
For those who are Christians it isn't really about religion. We all believe in God and that He sent His Son to die for our sins so that we may live eternally with Him in heaven. That is what is what our faith is about, not all this religion and people arguing who's better. That is a rididculous thing to argue over.
princess_jaybird
For those who are Christians it isn't really about religion. We all believe in God and that He sent His Son to die for our sins so that we may live eternally with Him in heaven. That is what is what our faith is about, not all this religion and people arguing who's better. That is a rididculous thing to argue over.
Then why are there so many christains that condem other religions? I dont believe that I am persecuted but I know that they are there.
Shinji-Katawane
princess_jaybird
Then why are there so many christains that condem other religions? I dont believe that I am persecuted but I know that they are there.

Those that condemn other religions are not showing God's love. He doesn't want us to argue, He wants us to share the Gospel w/others. And by arguing over who is better is not doing this.
Shinji-Katawane
princess_jaybird
Then why are there so many christains that condem other religions?

If you believe your way is teh only way, and any other way leads to unpleasant stuff, naturally you don't think well of other ways.. It's not nastyness, it's concern for people who jepordize themselves by going other ways/.

Quote:
I dont believe that I am persecuted but I know that they are there.

Sure, a few wiccans get teased or bullied or get their altars wrecked. Unpleasant, but no worse than what a kid might face for being fat or unpopular, or an immigrant.

People who complain about being social outcastes or teased for religion... All i have to say is: Go tell the teacher or SUCK IT UP. pleanty of kids survive such teasing, though often they are teased for other reasons, you have no grounds for bitching all over GAIA because of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff