Welcome to Gaia! ::

Allah is the proper Arabic name for God. Muslims believe in and worship the same One God that the Jews and Christians worship. Allah says in the Qur'an:

"And do not debate with the People of the Book, unless in the best of manners, but not with those who are unjust, and say: "We believe in the Revelation that has come down to us and in that which has come down to you; Our God and your God is One, and to Him do we wholly give ourselves." (Qur'an 29:46)

Allah is a unique term with no plural an no gender. It predates Muhammad and was also used in the form of El, Elah or Elohim by David, Moses, Jesus and other messengers of God, peace be upon them all.

"He is God, the One that there is no deity but He; the Knower of the unseen and the apparent; He is the Source of All Mercy, the Merciful.

He is God, the One that there is no deity but He; the King, the Holy, the Source of All Peace, the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver, the Mighty, the Compeller, the Majestic; Glory to God, beyond their associations (of partners with Him)!

He is God, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. To Him belong the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth magnifies Him; He is the Mighty, the Wise." (Qur'an 59:22-24)
biggrin
The Forbidden Soul
Verene
This is why it is called "having faith." The evidence I need to believe in God is different from the evidence that you may need to believe in God, is different from the evidence that some one else may need to believe in God. How and why each person believes or disbelieves is relative to the kind of experience that an individual needs in order to affirm God's existence or lack thereof.

Faith does not take empirical, scientific, laboratory repeatable experience. It takes an experience capable of convincing the one experiencing said moment or action.

User ImageUser Image
User Image

SO basically faith is believing in something without any proof, and only basing it on provoking incidents? JS

User ImageUser Image

Not quite what I was staying. Proof is the evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true. Taking this the evidence or argument that I need to accept a given circumstance as true may perhaps different from what another person needs to be presented with to believe a given circumstance is true.

Say I miss work because I am sick. I call my boss and explain that I am unwell and will be out for the day. She can hear me coughing on the phone call.

I work in an office of reliable employees and am generally known to be trustworthy therefore she hears me coughing and readily believe I am indeed ill and should not come into work today. That is all the evidence or argument she needs to why I should stay home. My word is argument and my cough evidence of the ascertain that I am sick.

Say however she has had numerous employees call in sick when really they wanted to have a 3 day weekend, and she doesn't quiet trust me because I have a habit of being lazy and crying off work. I may be coughing, but it's quite possible to fake a convincing cough over the phone. My argument is weak because she does not trust my word and a cough is not sufficient evidence to convince her of the claim of illness. In this case she would require a different level of proof - perhaps me showing up in the office running a fever, coughing all over the place and generally being miserable, or perhaps she'd need the verification of a doctor's note affirming that I do in fact have a head cold and should not be in the office.

Both of these circumstances have a level of proof - which level is necessary to convince her of what is going on varies based on the kind of individual she is and what kinds of experience have shaped her view of this kind of situation.

My main point was that sufficient proof for belief or non-belief in God is relevant to the individual. Which is why some people can ardently believe in the Resistance of God and why others can ardently believe in the non-existence of God. Each camp has found arguments and evidences that are compelling to their side.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
moka1987
Allah is the proper Arabic name for God. Muslims believe in and worship the same One God that the Jews and Christians worship. Allah says in the Qur'an:

"And do not debate with the People of the Book, unless in the best of manners, but not with those who are unjust, and say: "We believe in the Revelation that has come down to us and in that which has come down to you; Our God and your God is One, and to Him do we wholly give ourselves." (Qur'an 29:46)

Allah is a unique term with no plural an no gender. It predates Muhammad and was also used in the form of El, Elah or Elohim by David, Moses, Jesus and other messengers of God, peace be upon them all.

"He is God, the One that there is no deity but He; the Knower of the unseen and the apparent; He is the Source of All Mercy, the Merciful.

He is God, the One that there is no deity but He; the King, the Holy, the Source of All Peace, the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver, the Mighty, the Compeller, the Majestic; Glory to God, beyond their associations (of partners with Him)!

He is God, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. To Him belong the most beautiful names. All that is in the heavens and the earth magnifies Him; He is the Mighty, the Wise." (Qur'an 59:22-24)
biggrin

That is very poetic and sycophantic in it's nature, but it does nothing to portray to me why this being you are referring to deserves worship simply by virtue of what is written about him.

I could look up a poem about superman, galactus, and the jedi council and find similar praises sung.

Vishnu, Krishna, Quetzalcoatl, Kronos, and many other Gods also claim the power of creation using similar data like scripture from their own books.

Personally i'd rather worship The Grey Jedi Order for their ability to see the world for what it is if i had to make a decision of fictional material to devote it to.

Chatty Flatterer

Snausauges
Lol did this really get this far? Wtf rofl
'
bitches be crazy

Kawaii Sentai

Verene
The Forbidden Soul
Verene
This is why it is called "having faith." The evidence I need to believe in God is different from the evidence that you may need to believe in God, is different from the evidence that some one else may need to believe in God. How and why each person believes or disbelieves is relative to the kind of experience that an individual needs in order to affirm God's existence or lack thereof.

Faith does not take empirical, scientific, laboratory repeatable experience. It takes an experience capable of convincing the one experiencing said moment or action.

User ImageUser Image
User Image

SO basically faith is believing in something without any proof, and only basing it on provoking incidents? JS

User ImageUser Image

Not quite what I was staying. Proof is the evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true. Taking this the evidence or argument that I need to accept a given circumstance as true may perhaps different from what another person needs to be presented with to believe a given circumstance is true.

Say I miss work because I am sick. I call my boss and explain that I am unwell and will be out for the day. She can hear me coughing on the phone call.

I work in an office of reliable employees and am generally known to be trustworthy therefore she hears me coughing and readily believe I am indeed ill and should not come into work today. That is all the evidence or argument she needs to why I should stay home. My word is argument and my cough evidence of the ascertain that I am sick.

Say however she has had numerous employees call in sick when really they wanted to have a 3 day weekend, and she doesn't quiet trust me because I have a habit of being lazy and crying off work. I may be coughing, but it's quite possible to fake a convincing cough over the phone. My argument is weak because she does not trust my word and a cough is not sufficient evidence to convince her of the claim of illness. In this case she would require a different level of proof - perhaps me showing up in the office running a fever, coughing all over the place and generally being miserable, or perhaps she'd need the verification of a doctor's note affirming that I do in fact have a head cold and should not be in the office.

Both of these circumstances have a level of proof - which level is necessary to convince her of what is going on varies based on the kind of individual she is and what kinds of experience have shaped her view of this kind of situation.

My main point was that sufficient proof for belief or non-belief in God is relevant to the individual. Which is why some people can ardently believe in the Resistance of God and why others can ardently believe in the non-existence of God. Each camp has found arguments and evidences that are compelling to their side.

User ImageUser Image
User Image

Thats nice and all but I was specifically referring to faith. Not belief in god. As exlained in previous posts with someone else who replied to me earlier.

User ImageUser Image
Snausauges
Naiax Sidorenka
Because death.

Ha, religion is just a way for people to feel secure about death, even though there is no Heaven nor Hell. People are too afraid o believe it's nothing after death.

As someone with a severe and terminal disability, I accepted a premature death a long time before I found religion. And what does it matter to you, what other people believe, or why they believe it? It doesn't hurt you one way or another. "Love thy neighbor" isn't just a commandment, it's a good way to live. Dig?

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Zax Strife
Snausauges
Naiax Sidorenka
Because death.

Ha, religion is just a way for people to feel secure about death, even though there is no Heaven nor Hell. People are too afraid o believe it's nothing after death.

As someone with a severe and terminal disability, I accepted a premature death a long time before I found religion. And what does it matter to you, what other people believe, or why they believe it? It doesn't hurt you one way or another. "Love thy neighbor" isn't just a commandment, it's a good way to live. Dig?
I couldn't speak for other countries but if you live in the United States then what other people believe is very important, as other people believe that they should legislate what they believed on everyone even those who don't believe it. Hence we have arguments over abortion rights, same-sex marriage, contraception, and all sorts of things that wouldn't be an issue if religion was just a personal thing.

If Christianity could be adequately summarized as "Love thy neighbor", then I would agree with you. But that isn't true for the majority of Christians in this country that I live in so the argument rings hollow.
Title of thread may as well been,"how can you put faith in anything".
TrueLore
Zax Strife
Snausauges
Naiax Sidorenka
Because death.

I couldn't speak for other countries but if you live in the United States then what other people believe is very important, as other people believe that they should legislate what they believed on everyone even those who don't believe it. Hence we have arguments over abortion rights, same-sex marriage, contraception, and all sorts of things that wouldn't be an issue if religion was just a personal thing.

If Christianity could be adequately summarized as "Love thy neighbor", then I would agree with you. But that isn't true for the majority of Christians in this country that I live in so the argument rings hollow.

Well, I agree with you wholeheartedly, when it comes to the fact that the U.S. legislature attempts to involve themselves in matters that are based on individual moral rights.

However... We're not talking about country-wide beliefs. Personally, I couldn't give a s**t what the U.S. government thinks it has the right to mandate. I quit caring when they voted Obummer in. Nearly all of religion teaches us to love each other, give our graces to God, and to turn the other cheek.

And personally, I believe that Christianity hasn't advocated 'love thy neighbor' since the crucifixion. Most 'Christians' pervert the religion, so they can get whatever they can, out of the deal. The Latter Day Saints, though... They advocate 'love thy neighbor.' ^_^

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
People will always believe what they feel is right.

Shameless Mystic

Snausauges
I mean like, there's no proof at all. Yeah, people have "seen him in their eyes and their own ways", but people have also "seen" Bigfoot and Aliens, without proof. Aliens, I believe, are out there. Not what we have labeled them to look like, but im sure there's other life out there. So what I'm saying is, Bigfoot and God are the same, just made up stories with the same basic description from what people have "seen" without evidence.
Faith is trust without assurance. It is sometimes rational, and sometimes not. It can also be ambiguous as to whether it is one or the other.

I have faith the sun will rise tomorrow. I do not know it will.
In the same way, I have faith in God. The uncertainty is on a whole new level, but the premise is the same.

Faith is fundamentally the trust in something uncertain, be the subject of common sense, or complex nature. The moment you remove uncertainty, it's no longer faith, it's knowledge.
False Dichotomy
Snausauges
I mean like, there's no proof at all. Yeah, people have "seen him in their eyes and their own ways", but people have also "seen" Bigfoot and Aliens, without proof. Aliens, I believe, are out there. Not what we have labeled them to look like, but im sure there's other life out there. So what I'm saying is, Bigfoot and God are the same, just made up stories with the same basic description from what people have "seen" without evidence.
Faith is trust without assurance. It is sometimes rational, and sometimes not. It can also be ambiguous as to whether it is one or the other.

I have faith the sun will rise tomorrow. I do not know it will.
In the same way, I have faith in God. The uncertainty is on a whole new level, but the premise is the same.

Faith is fundamentally the trust in something uncertain, be the subject of common sense, or complex nature. The moment you remove uncertainty, it's no longer faith, it's knowledge.

People also claim to not use faith, or base their lives on faith, there is a very simple example of how faith works in the lives of anybody. If two people have a conversation and you are not present in the room and you ask one of the people that you trust, say your wife or husband.. and they explain the conversation and what was discussed, mostly people would say oh ok thanks for telling me.. guess what? That's faith, you trust that what they told you is true.

Can you prove what they told you is true unless the conversation is recorded or on record, most likely not, you take their word for it, that is faith.. and people do it all the time without thinking about it.. so for people to claim they never use faith, or do not have faith in operation for their lives, would simply be insanity.. we take many many things in faith without substantial proof or evidence so to speak. We simply trust in that person to be telling the truth.. and yes they could lie, but either way we use faith to trust them.
Reality is pretty cool, but it takes effort to get out and see the world, and more effort still to discover and understand how things work. It's just sooooooooo much easier to buy into a cool story and revere it above all else. Hell, look at people's response to social media.

5,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I have this idea that God is an ideal representation of a "person" who knows all the answers, who looks out for us and takes care of us, as a means of attaining comfort, having the knowledge of a God that exists. However, there are people who believe because someone scared the underclothes out of them. They believe out of fear, yeah they'll deny it and say that they believe because its the truth, but of course, for Christians, we all know that the bible lacks some assurance that what it claims to be the truth is the truth. As humans, we want assurance, because it gives us security.

Imagine us, as a divided but organized species. We have presidents, prime ministers, governments, we have a hierarchy of leaders that we are 100% sure are there. However, the most important of leaders, the God, does not give us assurance of his existence.

(Thank you God for the life you gave us? Not thank you mom and dad for loving each other and conceiving me?) xp

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Proving God exists is a different problem than proving the existence of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster; no rational thinker will possibly accept that Nessie exists unless someone proves it with strong irrefutable evidence, but belief in God is much more subjective. People other than you have experienced life-changing events that have managed to convince them He exists. Since no two human beings are exactly alike at all, what you expect to see as proof of God is very different from what someone else might expect.

Also, just because there is no empirical evidence doesn't mean it isn't possible for God to exist, ignoring subjective beliefs. We are talking about a being purportedly ancient literally beyond time itself, one whose followers allege He is entirely unknowable to mankind. Put plainly, God defies all human knowledge and logic. How on earth do you expect empirical evidence to either prove or disprove something that clearly operates outside our line of rationality?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff