Welcome to Gaia! ::

SylverStar
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu
SylverStar
I believe I am right because I believe everyone is right.
i believe you are wrong, which contradicts your statement of everyone being right.

I hate it when people pull this card. It is so stupid. Everyone is right? How is this possible if one says yes and the other says no, like two people believe exact opposites. Your statement is atrocious and should be reconsidered.

I don't think anything is so black and white as your wrong/I'm right. I think there is a little bit a truth in each religion/belief. Whether other people see it that way may be different than I do. But OP asked about why I right and my views are rarely/if ever opposite of others views. I have been able to find something to relate to with every person I have met. I also believe we are all connected and things are viewed from different perspectives.

-You don't think that anything is black/white in respect to right/wrong.
-You claim that you are "right", because everyone is "right".

You need to rephrase what you said then. You cannot be right if you are also partially wrong. That makes you neither. You might as well call them "wrong" in this case, because they are not 100% right. You don't get partial credit. A scientist that submits a theory, is wrong even when most of his theory is correct. The moment you are wrong, means that you are still wrong.

Greedy Consumer

SylverStar
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu
SylverStar
I believe I am right because I believe everyone is right.
i believe you are wrong, which contradicts your statement of everyone being right.

I hate it when people pull this card. It is so stupid. Everyone is right? How is this possible if one says yes and the other says no, like two people believe exact opposites. Your statement is atrocious and should be reconsidered.

I don't think anything is so black and white as your wrong/I'm right. I think there is a little bit a truth in each religion/belief. Whether other people see it that way may be different than I do. But OP asked about why I right and my views are rarely/if ever opposite of others views. I have been able to find something to relate to with every person I have met. I also believe we are all connected and things are viewed from different perspectives.
The world is flat.
If you shake a black person's hand you become black.
You need to kill people as sacrifices because their blood keeps the soil fertile.
A giant beaver fighting a wolf made the mississipi river.
Need more examples?
edit: im referencign actual beliefs in history.

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
keito-ninja
Nor can I respect the lack of morality apparent in those who honestly believe that they are justified in acts of evil.

There it is. You don't realize it, but you have already implied that your views are right over others. Evil is such a gross word. No one is evil, because evil implies lack of good intent. No one who society thinks of as evil is, in their minds, evil. You see what I'm saying?
Kirksome
keito-ninja
Nor can I respect the lack of morality apparent in those who honestly believe that they are justified in acts of evil.

There it is. You don't realize it, but you have already implied that your views are right over others. Evil is such a gross word. No one is evil, because evil implies lack of good intent. No one who society thinks of as evil is, in their minds, evil. You see what I'm saying?

I'm not saying that I can prove that it is morally wrong to murder babies, I'm just saying that I cannot respect a belief system that claims it is a-okay to murder babies. But I see what you're saying.

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Xiam
Kirksome
What do you believe?

I read Plato in high school. It shaped my view of the world in a big way. I believe the pinnacle of wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.

Kirksome
Why are you right?

...*points up* I don't think I am. I constantly doubt my own thoughts and statements. In a debate, I will purposely take the opposing viewpoint from someone, purely to challenge their worldview and see how well it holds to scrutiny. So... really, anybody who tries to quote me on anything is wasting their time, because I'm likely to have forgotten it, and disagree with it.

I respect your open-mindedness. At the same time, there must be something you hold to be true. For instance, you must know that evolution did (or didn't) create the world as we know it. (The origin of life, though, is a far more existential question, in which case speculation is essential before laying claim to 'fact'.) It is nearly impossible to be completely agnostic. There must be some truths, or rights, or sciences that you believe in--be those that have much more black and white answers. What is your stance on gay marriage? Health care? Evolution? Evolution taught in schools?

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Dieu des hommes
I don't hold many beliefs; at least in some sort of religious or philosophical sense. I know the universe has expanded from one point in space and time, and within are a myriad of waves, fields and particles interacting in weird and wonderful ways. That some matter became self-replicating, and over billions of years evolved to become more complex through endless trial and error. That this brought about matter that was aware of itself, and grew in its knowledge of how it came to be. However, that does little to do with my own life and the beliefs I hold.

I believe in small things. That I should eat healthy, and always find time to spend with loved ones. To cherish what I have now, because one day I will not be in a position to do so. To not fear death, at least not to the point where it prevents me from enjoying life comfortably. That I should do what I can to help others and to be respectful to the environment, ensuring that it does not become damaged by my own selfish actions. That I should allow others to make their own decisions, and to breathe in the thoughts and opinions of others to learn what I can from them. I like to keep things to a matter of simplicity, trusting my instinct above all else. Why am I right in believing these things? I'm probably not, but I do not care to be right.

This was a very interesting post to read. It wasn't quite what I expected when I asked the question, but it was kind of remarkable nonetheless. In the world of so many beliefs and so many options and so many things to do and so little time to wonder, it's absolutely refreshing to have someone remind you that life is beautiful and short and you should be kind above all else and maybe nothing else matters. Perhaps that's not exactly what you were saying, but it is what I felt after reading your words. Thank you for that.

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Kawaii Romance
In my opinion, I'm "right" in my beliefs because there is no feasible evidence that any god exists.

devils advocate mode initiated

Isn't the true test of faith belief without evidence? What is the spiritual benefit to believing in god if god was proved to exist?

I have said the exact same thing that you have, and I've had this argument thrown back at me.

I honestly can't argue with aforementioned reasoning. I've actually had to find alternative reasons to prove to myself that God doesn't (or does, once upon a time) exist. I feel that the 'lack of evidence' argument lacks substance, and can easily be rebutted with "You can't prove he doesn't," with similarly persuasive effects.

Just food for thought.
Many groups present compelling arguments re: religion, and have attractive features, but nobody has ever presented me with real "proof" of any position on the issue. It turns me off, really, when they try. "You can tell my religion is true because of this prophecy about the alignment of the planets" or whatever. It's tiresome.

Ultimately I've decided to embrace subjectivity, and sometimes contradiction, for better or worse. I don't expect any certainty regarding religion and morality, but I feel too strongly about both to take an "anything goes" attitude.

As for my own particular experience with religion... it's strange, and complicated. It would be a long explanation and not necessarily relevant to this thread.

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Limonchiki
Ultimately I've decided to embrace subjectivity, and sometimes contradiction, for better or worse.

How so? I'm very interested by what you mean with 'contradiction.'
Kirksome
Been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I even went through an anti-theist phase for a while back there, but now I've cooled down. I can justify my beliefs, and I know them to be true. But the next guy is exactly as convicted, and he knows he is right. Hard to trust my instinct of what's right when everyone's righty-instinct makes them believe something different. Makes me wonder. What do you believe? Why are you right? I honest to God want to know.

PM me if you wanna debate or something fun like that

If your an atheists, then where do you get the concept of right and wrong from? How can you justify ever saying something is wrong? If I broke into another mans house and killed his kids and took his wife for myself so she could bear my kids, where do you get the idea thats wrong from? And if its not wrong and your ok with that than what kind of world would we be living in?

So thats the first reason I think atheism isnt the way

Where did all matter come from if it wasnt created? Where did life come from? If you purport pure atheism your purporting spontanious generation which is what people believed in the middle ages, that life just spawned out of the earth. I happen to believe that life comes from life and not from deadness, and that you cannot get something from nothing.

So thats thew second blow to atheism

Thirdly we see Newtons third law of thermodynamics, entropy. Entropy states that all matter is flowing from high concentration to low concentration, from high density to low. How is this reconciled to evolution? Where people claim that DNA is becoming more and more complex and creatures are evolving when newtons seconds law of thermodynamics tells us something different, and everything we see tells us something different. That instead of the genome of Dogs becoming more complex as they are bred, it gets less complex and traits that are alreasy in the genome get exzaserbated and highlighted as others are lost. Things would make alot more sense Biblically if creatures were created very complex and slowly changed and became less complex with regard to their gene pool.

Thats my third reason

I also think about where we would find our values if not for a set of marals that transcended humans. Whats to keep us from deciding that yeah, the jews are bad, lets kill em. Or that, if your born with autism, your should be killed as your of no value. Its shaky ground to go on the goodness of your heart. Not everyone is so kind.

I also think about the public good, about the future? If there is no judgement for our actions or time of judgement and sentencing for our behaviour. what reason do I have to be a decent person? Why shouldnt I simply live for myself? Why shuold I ever sacrifice my convenience to help those who are hurting?

Which makes me then think about why it is people are never satified with good? Billionares are nat satisfied with their billions and still wish for more. No matter how much stuff we have or how much sex we have or adoration, drugs or money, we will always feel like we are missing something and try to fill that something with the things of this world and come up double zero every time. It just makes sense to me that the reason for that hole in our hearts is because we were made to be with God and when we abandoned him and He left, that hole was made and can only be filled by Him, by One who is bigger than the world.

Just makes sense to me

Jesus loves you =)

Liberal Zealot

crimsin eyes

If your an atheists, then where do you get the concept of right and wrong from? How can you justify ever saying something is wrong? If I broke into another mans house and killed his kids and took his wife for myself so she could bear my kids, where do you get the idea thats wrong from? And if its not wrong and your ok with that than what kind of world would we be living in?

A world remarkably like the one your god promised your forebears. emotion_awesome
atheism's right is more like, cannot find evidence against it, while religion's is like, it feels right to have a diety cherish you lol

i think religion is overall abusive contradictory and full of appeal to emotion these days.

Dont want to crush anyones imagination or happy thoughts but, agnosticism actually makes th emost sense.

religion does have decent survival tools written in, like how to deal with foreign tribes who Might be a risk to yours.

Otherwise its not really good xd

To make sure you don't go to the dark side lol
keito-ninja
I am sure that I am "right" and you are sure that you are "right", but it's not a competition, and people don't need to treat it like it is. It is impossible for us to prove that our beliefs are "right", so it is not necessary to try. What is important is for people to explain what they believe, to give others a better understanding of that belief system so that other people's righty-instincts have a fair chance to kick in (or not kick in).

When it comes down to it, I can respect any system of belief, as long as the person holding it does so with integrity and morality. Everyone has the right to follow their own "righty-instinct", but some people choose to ignore their righty-instinct and just live by whatever belief system they think is most fun/convenient/easy--I cannot respect such lack of integrity. Nor can I respect the lack of morality apparent in those who honestly believe that they are justified in acts of evil.

Since I hold my beliefs with integrity it doesn't matter to me that I can't prove that I am right, nor do I feel insecure because of the fact that I might theoretically be wrong.

You shouldn't respect any belief system, because by definition, a belief system are a set of certain beliefs that have to be maintained and a certain set of beliefs that you prohibited from believing (for what ever reasons). Some belief systems have the ability to corrupt our basic integrity and moral reasoning, like religions.

(presupposing you lack belief in any gods) Also, I don't suppose you affirm any unsubstantiated claims like "I know there are no gods", rather you might make an educated guess based on evidence like "there probably are no gods, but i don't know" and I don't think anyone could ever know. But through recent scientific advancements, we can affirm, with some confidence, that this universe could have existed without the need for a god.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff