Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I even went through an anti-theist phase for a while back there, but now I've cooled down. I can justify my beliefs, and I know them to be true. But the next guy is exactly as convicted, and he knows he is right. Hard to trust my instinct of what's right when everyone's righty-instinct makes them believe something different. Makes me wonder. What do you believe? Why are you right? I honest to God want to know.

PM me if you wanna debate or something fun like that
I am sure that I am "right" and you are sure that you are "right", but it's not a competition, and people don't need to treat it like it is. It is impossible for us to prove that our beliefs are "right", so it is not necessary to try. What is important is for people to explain what they believe, to give others a better understanding of that belief system so that other people's righty-instincts have a fair chance to kick in (or not kick in).

When it comes down to it, I can respect any system of belief, as long as the person holding it does so with integrity and morality. Everyone has the right to follow their own "righty-instinct", but some people choose to ignore their righty-instinct and just live by whatever belief system they think is most fun/convenient/easy--I cannot respect such lack of integrity. Nor can I respect the lack of morality apparent in those who honestly believe that they are justified in acts of evil.

Since I hold my beliefs with integrity it doesn't matter to me that I can't prove that I am right, nor do I feel insecure because of the fact that I might theoretically be wrong.

Shameless Mystic

I know very little. I entertain many thoughts. I am much harsher on my peers for making unsubstantiated claims than anyone I know, but they would probably be shocked if they knew how much of a mystic I really was. It probably exceeds even their ideas, just differently.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I believe I am right because I believe everyone is right.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kirksome
What do you believe?

I read Plato in high school. It shaped my view of the world in a big way. I believe the pinnacle of wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.

Kirksome
Why are you right?

...*points up* I don't think I am. I constantly doubt my own thoughts and statements. In a debate, I will purposely take the opposing viewpoint from someone, purely to challenge their worldview and see how well it holds to scrutiny. So... really, anybody who tries to quote me on anything is wasting their time, because I'm likely to have forgotten it, and disagree with it.

Kirksome
PM me if you wanna debate or something fun like that

You're in the Extended Discussion. Why not debate here?

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Q1. What do you believe?

A1: Most things that have an evidential basis or a basis in demonstrable reality. This does not mean, of course, that I cannot be fooled. Anyone can be fooled, so debunking the foolery is the point.

Q2: Why are you right?

A2: Besides not being proven wrong when it comes to a lot of my beliefs, all evidence and manifestations in reality seem to line up with Science and causative events. In every instance where this view has been "challenged" (and i use the word loosely) the most that has been brought to the table on the opposition's side seems to be arguments of semantics and fond-feelings. This has painted my worldview, to the point where I no longer consider textual, verbal, or emotional arguments as valid as demonstrable ones. In a nutshell, it's because there is a greater degree of certainty, and even predictability within that uncertain range.

In lieu of the last offer, I'm going to suggest you debate Xi. He's pretty middle-of-the-road on a lot of topics, and I'd like to see how a debate between you guys would go.

Zealot

I don't hold many beliefs; at least in some sort of religious or philosophical sense. I know the universe has expanded from one point in space and time, and within are a myriad of waves, fields and particles interacting in weird and wonderful ways. That some matter became self-replicating, and over billions of years evolved to become more complex through endless trial and error. That this brought about matter that was aware of itself, and grew in its knowledge of how it came to be. However, that does little to do with my own life and the beliefs I hold.

I believe in small things. That I should eat healthy, and always find time to spend with loved ones. To cherish what I have now, because one day I will not be in a position to do so. To not fear death, at least not to the point where it prevents me from enjoying life comfortably. That I should do what I can to help others and to be respectful to the environment, ensuring that it does not become damaged by my own selfish actions. That I should allow others to make their own decisions, and to breathe in the thoughts and opinions of others to learn what I can from them. I like to keep things to a matter of simplicity, trusting my instinct above all else. Why am I right in believing these things? I'm probably not, but I do not care to be right.
keito-ninja
I am sure that I am "right" and you are sure that you are "right", but it's not a competition, and people don't need to treat it like it is. It is impossible for us to prove that our beliefs are "right", so it is not necessary to try. What is important is for people to explain what they believe, to give others a better understanding of that belief system so that other people's righty-instincts have a fair chance to kick in (or not kick in).

SCREAMS!

Kinda. xp

What is unprovable may always be unprovable, but that does not make the pursuit of truth and facts unnecessary, keito-ninja. An unexamined life is a life not worth living. When we engage in debates about morality, religions and philosophical world views we are engaging our minds. We are allowing ourselves to consider views that are not our own and hone our critical thinking skills; both of which are necessary for a proper education.

Moreover there's a difference between what's "correct" and what's "more correct." Do you know what I mean? Someone may be correct when making a claim, "CO2 is causing climate change!," but there's always room for what is more correct: "CO2 is causing climate change, because ... And that's why ... From that we can predict ... Etc."

When it comes to the Abrahamic faiths, there is a wealth of knowledge that needs to be considered that contextualizes the faith -- archeology, comparative literature, Biblical/Koranic history, Hellenistic cultures, historical religious movements, etc. -- and without that knowledge it deprives the faith-practitioner of the background of what she is actually following and studying. What I've mentioned is challenging material, which is considered indecent to traditional Christianity by some, but it's far more important expansion of the mind.

keito-ninja
When it comes down to it, I can respect any system of belief, as long as the person holding it does so with integrity and morality. Everyone has the right to follow their own "righty-instinct", but some people choose to ignore their righty-instinct and just live by whatever belief system they think is most fun/convenient/easy--I cannot respect such lack of integrity. Nor can I respect the lack of morality apparent in those who honestly believe that they are justified in acts of evil.

Since I hold my beliefs with integrity it doesn't matter to me that I can't prove that I am right, nor do I feel insecure because of the fact that I might theoretically be wrong.

Just take that a step further .... If you can't prove that you're right, why bother believing you are right?

Let's say I believe that this alternative medicine will cure me, but no one is able to prove or show that it will heal me ... why would I continue taking the medicine? Granted, this would be a situation involving my immediate personal health, but are we able to exempt all ideas from this level of serious consideration?
Brothern
keito-ninja

SCREAMS!

Kinda. xp

What is unprovable may always be unprovable, but that does not make the pursuit of truth and facts unnecessary, keito-ninja. An unexamined life is a life not worth living. When we engage in debates about morality, religions and philosophical world views we are engaging our minds. We are allowing ourselves to consider views that are not our own and hone our critical thinking skills; both of which are necessary for a proper education.

Moreover there's a difference between what's "correct" and what's "more correct." Do you know what I mean? Someone may be correct when making a claim, "CO2 is causing climate change!," but there's always room for what is more correct: "CO2 is causing climate change, because ... And that's why ... From that we can predict ... Etc."

When it comes to the Abrahamic faiths, there is a wealth of knowledge that needs to be considered that contextualizes the faith -- archeology, comparative literature, Biblical/Koranic history, Hellenistic cultures, historical religious movements, etc. -- and without that knowledge it deprives the faith-practitioner of the background of what she is actually following and studying. What I've mentioned is challenging material, which is considered indecent to traditional Christianity by some, but it's far more important expansion of the mind.

I agree with everything you just said, and that is exactly what I meant when I said "What is important is for people to explain what they believe, to give others a better understanding of that belief system so that other people's righty-instincts have a fair chance to kick in (or not kick in)." Explaining one's belief system includes explaining the truths and facts that support one's belief, the way I see it. I apologize if the way I worded it did not get that thought across clearly. My point was that it's better to have the attitude of educating people, rather than trying to prove everyone wrong, and once they're educated if they still don't agree with you then you should respect that.

Brothern

keito-ninja

Just take that a step further .... If you can't prove that you're right, why bother believing you are right?

Let's say I believe that this alternative medicine will cure me, but no one is able to prove or show that it will heal me ... why would I continue taking the medicine? Granted, this would be a situation involving my immediate personal health, but are we able to exempt all ideas from this level of serious consideration?

I cannot prove to other people that I am right, but I can prove to myself that I am right. This phenomenon is described above as a "righty-instinct". Some of the evidence that supports what I believe is factual, but some of the evidence is spiritual nature, i.e. truths that I came to know through the Holy Spirit. I cannot prove these truths to anyone else, because each person must discover such truths for themselves, but that does not make me any less confident. Still more of the evidence that supports my beliefs comes from my own personal sense of logic, i.e. what concepts/intellectual connections make sense to me on a fundamental level.

Quotable Kitten

In my opinion, I'm "right" in my beliefs because there is no feasible evidence that any god exists.

Greedy Consumer

keito-ninja

it actually is possible to prove it relatively, that our beliefs are correct, based on actual physical evidence for instance. So i disagree with you there.

Greedy Consumer

SylverStar
i believe you are wrong, which contradicts your statement of everyone being right.

I hate it when people pull this card. It is so stupid. Everyone is right? How is this possible if one says yes and the other says no, like two people believe exact opposites. Your statement is atrocious and should be reconsidered.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu
SylverStar
i believe you are wrong, which contradicts your statement of everyone being right.

I hate it when people pull this card. It is so stupid. Everyone is right? How is this possible if one says yes and the other says no, like two people believe exact opposites. Your statement is atrocious and should be reconsidered.

I don't think anything is so black and white as your wrong/I'm right. I think there is a little bit a truth in each religion/belief. Whether other people see it that way may be different than I do. But OP asked about why I right and my views are rarely/if ever opposite of others views. I have been able to find something to relate to with every person I have met. I also believe we are all connected and things are viewed from different perspectives.
No-Mi-Jutsu-Yu
SylverStar

This is more or less what I was going to say. It's much easier just to say that everyone is wrong. Saying that everyone is right, is just really problematic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff