Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
CDizzle17
I was very angry the other day at a pious cretin and it led me to write this piece. Tell me what you think, and yes I am aware of the few grammatical errors. I want to elaborate more on the subject. Enjoy:
funny all the religious people offended at pious cretin when you are describing one person. rofl
Quote:
The universe is abstruse, it may even seem incomprehensible, but that’s where science comes in, to help us understand our origins. Each scientific discovery increases our understanding of the world around us. For I do not see the universe as a mystery, I see it as a puzzle and our minds are the only tool we need to solve it. Religion is a staunch adversary of science. Religions claim they have the answer to life, but do they really?
Agreed, science is awesome. Whereas religion says it has all the answers, science is out to discover them.
Quote:

Is religion correct? No, I don’t believe any religion is correct. How narcissistic would you have to be to believe that you have the ultimate truth to life? Very would be the right answer. What has religion brought except for false hope and delusion? Oh and let us not forget all the pain and destruction it has wrought. It has offered us nothing except idiotic assertions about all knowing entities. When a religion says that their creed is the only way to happiness, prosperity, and eternal life, be skeptical.
Agreed.
Quote:
Closet non-believers must come out and attack religion. It’s about time they realize that their cowardice is only hindering the future of humanity. Non-believers must take leadership and propel humanity in the right direction and we are seeing this as the number of non-believers is beginning to rise. Humanity may be in the right direction, but only time will tell.
Agreed
Quote:

The idea of a God is something I despise a well, I am an anti-theist. The idea of a God is the embodiment totalitarianism. To say that an entity dictates your every move and intervenes in your life relinquishes reason and free thought. There is also no evidence for a God and therefore I refuse to take part in the concept. The only God I would accept is the Deist God, but even Deism doesn’t make sense. What created God? That question will stump every believer, not even science can answer that question because it’s impossible to answer.

I agree Yahweh was an asshat, and evil as any dictator, even commanding genocides.

Quote:
The future is bright for humanity. Don’t get me wrong, I believe everyone should believe what they wish, but when it hinders our future as a species, then it must come to an end. That’s what religion does, it hinders our future. If you’re a closet non-believer, then come out. Do not be afraid to voice your opinion, your mind is the most powerful weapon you have. Use it and let us use science and reason to lead humanity to its maximum potential, if there is a limit of course.
Agreed, religion is a bronze age relic. Humans are worth so much more, and we can have love, compassion and dare I say it spiritual growth without religion holding us back. tipped

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Moral Gutpunch
Buddhists who do their best to spread compassion and understanding to create a more diverse and peaceful world,
Lol, the same buddhists who call for the wiping out of the tamils from sri lanka? Or the ones who supported the killing of millions of troops by soldiers in ww2?

Adored Admirer

The Catfish Blues
Dear mods, stop moving any old religious s**t into M&R, we have standards.
Dear M&R mods, please tell other mods they can't just move any old s**t here.

Sincerely
Tcb

It's not old, but I sure as heck don't like seeing these outsiders.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
The Catfish Blues
Moral Gutpunch
Buddhists who do their best to spread compassion and understanding to create a more diverse and peaceful world,
Lol, the same buddhists who call for the wiping out of the tamils from sri lanka? Or the ones who supported the killing of millions of troops by soldiers in ww2?

Common sense states that those two are obviously two different kinds. Why you even had to ask is beyond me.

Demonic Wolf

8,650 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Hellraiser 500
The Catfish Blues
CDizzle17
I was very angry the other day at a pious cretin and it led me to write this piece. Tell me what you think, and yes I am aware of the few grammatical errors. I want to elaborate more on the subject. Enjoy:
funny all the religious people offended at pious cretin when you are describing one person. rofl
Quote:
The universe is abstruse, it may even seem incomprehensible, but that’s where science comes in, to help us understand our origins. Each scientific discovery increases our understanding of the world around us. For I do not see the universe as a mystery, I see it as a puzzle and our minds are the only tool we need to solve it. Religion is a staunch adversary of science. Religions claim they have the answer to life, but do they really?
Agreed, science is awesome. Whereas religion says it has all the answers, science is out to discover them.
Quote:

Is religion correct? No, I don’t believe any religion is correct. How narcissistic would you have to be to believe that you have the ultimate truth to life? Very would be the right answer. What has religion brought except for false hope and delusion? Oh and let us not forget all the pain and destruction it has wrought. It has offered us nothing except idiotic assertions about all knowing entities. When a religion says that their creed is the only way to happiness, prosperity, and eternal life, be skeptical.
Agreed.
Quote:
Closet non-believers must come out and attack religion. It’s about time they realize that their cowardice is only hindering the future of humanity. Non-believers must take leadership and propel humanity in the right direction and we are seeing this as the number of non-believers is beginning to rise. Humanity may be in the right direction, but only time will tell.
Agreed
Quote:

The idea of a God is something I despise a well, I am an anti-theist. The idea of a God is the embodiment totalitarianism. To say that an entity dictates your every move and intervenes in your life relinquishes reason and free thought. There is also no evidence for a God and therefore I refuse to take part in the concept. The only God I would accept is the Deist God, but even Deism doesn’t make sense. What created God? That question will stump every believer, not even science can answer that question because it’s impossible to answer.

I agree Yahweh was an asshat, and evil as any dictator, even commanding genocides.

Quote:
The future is bright for humanity. Don’t get me wrong, I believe everyone should believe what they wish, but when it hinders our future as a species, then it must come to an end. That’s what religion does, it hinders our future. If you’re a closet non-believer, then come out. Do not be afraid to voice your opinion, your mind is the most powerful weapon you have. Use it and let us use science and reason to lead humanity to its maximum potential, if there is a limit of course.
Agreed, religion is a bronze age relic. Humans are worth so much more, and we can have love, compassion and dare I say it spiritual growth without religion holding us back. tipped

You, sir, have made me lose faith in society, also. Do you not realize that his whole argument INSULTED both you, me, and agnostics? Are you so blind and prideful as to not admit that someone who has faith in a god is right?

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I_Write_Ivre
The Catfish Blues
Moral Gutpunch

Common sense states that those two are obviously two different kinds. Why you even had to ask is beyond me.
yes, one is theravada, the oldest surviving buddhist tradition, and this is the largest Buddhist sect in Sri Lanka. Having formed a nationalist party, the JHU, they campaigned for the killings of the Tamil peoples, feeling they were defending the sacredness of their home.

As for the Zen monks in Japan, this was not some tiny sect, used by the state, this was the both sects, Rinzai and Soto, this was people such as D. T. Suzuki who said soldiers should " Crush their enemies".

So no, you do not just get to ignore the bad in favour of the good. Religion doesn't get a free pass, because there are compassionate people out there. Religion is a way of controlling people and it is abusive.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
SantaniasGirl

You, sir, have made me lose faith in society, also. Do you not realize that his whole argument INSULTED both you, me, and agnostics? Are you so blind and prideful as to not admit that someone who has faith in a god is right?
Firstly atheists are mostly agnostic, next no-, he gave a well reasoned argument against religion, and its largely negative impact on society and people, and how we would be better off leaving the bronze age behind, and going forward in a world based on reason and hope, rather than myths that simply create fear, and depict genocidal megalomaniac god, who simply wants people to stroke his metaphorical god-peen.

And I will admit someone who has faith in Yahweh is right about mundane matters, but no, I do not believe god exists. So I am not so blind, nor prideful as the one who feels he or she has all the answers to the universe already, and they can be found in a bronze age book, edited by a roman church for £15.00 in any bookshop.
CDizzle17

The universe is abstruse, it may even seem incomprehensible, but that’s where science comes in, to help us understand our origins.
Nope. Completely incorrect. Science is not bent on discovering the origins of anything; as a matter of fact unless we have a full fossil record it's still human reasoning, not scientific theory and methodology, that will be piecing things together. Science only goes as far as our imaginations can go; after that it's somewhat of less than shiny tool in the box really.
Quote:
Each scientific discovery increases our understanding of the world around us. For I do not see the universe as a mystery, I see it as a puzzle and our minds are the only tool we need to solve it. Religion is a staunch adversary of science. Religions claim they have the answer to life, but do they really?
First not all religions are. Second not most religions are. Third most religions are not incapable of changing. Fourth scientific method was developed under religious pretense! Fifth the only adversary to science is change and fear of the unknown. This occurs no matter what philosophy you ascribe to and that makes it far more virile and easily will outlive your ridiculous rant. You're a fool already Mr. Sir.
The Catfish Blues
SantaniasGirl

Firstly atheists are agnostic, next no-, he gave a well reasoned argument against religion, and its largley negative impact on society and people, and how we would be better off leaving the bronze age behind, and going forward in a world based on reason and hope, rather than myths that simply create fear, and depict genocidal megalomaniac god, who simply wants people to stroke his metaphorical god-peen.

And I will admit someone who has faith in Yahweh is right about mundane matters, but no, I do not believe god exists. So I am not so blind, nor prideful as the one who feels he or she has all the answers to the universe already, and they can be found in a bronze age book, edited by a roman church for £15.00 in any bookshop.
Not all atheists are agnostic. If I was an atheist I would not be agnostic. I configure with great certainty there is no deity.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Jorgunmandr
The Catfish Blues
SantaniasGirl

Firstly atheists are agnostic, next no-, he gave a well reasoned argument against religion, and its largley negative impact on society and people, and how we would be better off leaving the bronze age behind, and going forward in a world based on reason and hope, rather than myths that simply create fear, and depict genocidal megalomaniac god, who simply wants people to stroke his metaphorical god-peen.

Not all atheists are agnostic. If I was an atheist I would not be agnostic. I configure with great certainty there is no deity.
Edited

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
The Catfish Blues

So no, you do not just get to ignore the bad in favour of the good. Religion doesn't get a free pass, because there are compassionate people out there. Religion is a way of controlling people and it is abusive.

I do because I clearly stated good people as opposed to bad in the sentence, not separating them by sect, since there are good and bad and in between people in every sect.

Religion gets a free pass because religion is not people, it's an idea. That would be individual religious people, and you have to judge those individually, as some take the religion the wrong way. you don't' get a free pass of clustering people into 'everyone is horrible due a vague label'.

It's actions, not labels that define people, and this stuff is taught when you learn basic math. Smarten up and stop quote-mining. I referenced other religions too in my sentence and it only applies to kind people. You knew that when you read my post, which was a sentence long.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I_Write_Ivre

Religion gets a free pass because religion is not people, it's an idea.
Why does religion get a free pass because its an idea? Its not btw, its a social construct that is controlling and abusive. And its the ideas such as "men are the head of the household", "gay's are sinners" "Its not ok to eat shellfish", well not the last one because every christian ignores it, but its these ideas that cause the problems, along with the people who are susceptible to them.

Quote:
That would be individual religious people, and you have to judge those individually, as some take the religion the wrong way. you don't' get a free pass of clustering people into 'everyone is horrible due a vague label'.

No, but its not just the religious, the religions themselves are full of hate and lntolerence, as are the founders.

And I'm not clustering people, they cluster themselves into groups, and then by following these religions they passively agree that this was ok, or make up excuses for it. Whether it be what the organization , the founders or the teachings say, they enable it.

Quote:
It's actions, not labels that define people, and this stuff is taught when you learn basic math. Smarten up and stop quote-mining. I referenced other religions too in my sentence and it only applies to kind people. You knew that when you read my post, which was a sentence long.
When kind people are kind inspite of their religion then give the credit to the fact they are people not, the religions. Like I said I haven't found a religion without problems with its founders or teachings, even buddhism has serious problems.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Proof that you don't have to be a God to want to hurt and dehumanize people over him.

Demonic Wolf

8,650 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Hellraiser 500
The Catfish Blues
SantaniasGirl

Firstly atheists are mostly agnostic, next no-, he gave a well reasoned argument against religion, and its largely negative impact on society and people, and how we would be better off leaving the bronze age behind, and going forward in a world based on reason and hope, rather than myths that simply create fear, and depict genocidal megalomaniac god, who simply wants people to stroke his metaphorical god-peen.

He gave a well-reasoned argument?! Hah! I could make a better argument than him, and I'm not even an Atheist. Also, look up the definition of agnostic in the dictionary, and you'll find that it's separate from atheism.

Just because you believe in God, it doesn't make you blind, you know. An Atheist can be blinded by science just as much as a Christian can by Christianity. Science doesn't provide the answer to everything. Most of what it proposes happened to create us and the universe are theories that can be disproved any day. And I, even being a Christian, don't follow the Bible, myself, because it has been edited throughout the years and is probably false on a few things, therefore I am not blinded in your eyes.

Christianity also never claimed to have all the answers. I can't open up the Bible and pull out a story saying "Oh, this is how God was created!" or whatever. It doesn't work like that...

Also, Christianity teaches you to not be prideful, for it is a sin. *shakes head* You obviously have no idea what you're talking about just like the guy who started this whole argument.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
SantaniasGirl
The Catfish Blues
SantaniasGirl

He gave a well-reasoned argument?! Hah! I could make a better argument than him, and I'm not even an Atheist. Also, look up the definition of agnostic in the dictionary, and you'll find that it's separate from atheism.
A-gnosis, without knowledge, gnosis knowledge. Whereas theism and atheism relate to a belief and lack of it. An agnostic atheist lacks a belief in a god, but admits he doesn't know for sure. Even Dawkins is only, 99.75% sure.
Quote:

Just because you believe in God, it doesn't make you blind, you know

It makes you more closed minded. .
Quote:
An Atheist can be blinded by science just as much as a Christian can by Christianity.
Nope, science is a method for finding things out, Evolution, photons and the big bang, aren't science, they are theories which have a mass of evidence provided by the scientific method to be shown to be consistent with empirical reality. If you gave me an empirical scientific test that could show that god existed and we could repeat that in seven labs around the world consistently, and it was printed in reputable journals, undergoing statistical analysis and peer review, then maybe I would accept god existing, a 2000 year old tome and some bronze age myths, are not proof.
Quote:
Science doesn't provide the answer to everything.
No, its a method that allows us to discover things that are true and retest them so we could be sure. It is not too arrogant as to say it has all the answers.
Quote:
Most of what it proposes happened to create us and the universe are theories that can be disproved any day.
I love the fact the theories it provides are falsifiable, I mean if science showed that the universe was actually 24 billion years old I would accept it. As would most others, science holds nothing sacred, thats the beauty of it. Wheras religion just kills people for it and has to apologise hundreds of years later.
Quote:
and I, even being a Christian, don't follow the Bible, myself, because it has been edited throughout the years and is probably false on a few things, therefore I am not blinded in your eyes.
No you still are because you believe in a bronze age sky daddy which has no evidence in reality and attack science because it challenges your beliefs. Guess what I do when science challenges my beliefs? I evaluate them and change them.

Quote:
Christianity also never claimed to have all the answers. I can't open up the Bible and pull out a story saying "Oh, this is how God was created!" or whatever. It doesn't work like that...
Um yes it does, its a complete religion. I am the way the truth and the life. And Christianity claims Yahweh was not created, thats their god is the first cause argument.

Quote:
Also, Christianity teaches you to not be prideful, for it is a sin. *shakes head*
Why is Yahweh such a prideful monster then?
Quote:
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about just like the guy who started this whole argument.

Um I've read the bible, I've read apologist sites, I've been christian, I've been buddhist too for about 6 years, I've studied into concepts such as the traces of henotheism in the bible. So excuse me, but I know what I am talking about.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff