Welcome to Gaia! ::

Idealist.org wants to help all good causes achieve their goals. So I want to help Idealist.org help all good causes. Is anyone else a member of Idealist.org? Some friends who are members are organizing fun events in order to help good causes. They're supposed to be educational and or entertaining, or at least fun. Everyone is invited to give a speech, demonstration, or performance for 5 minutes each, as an individual or a group.

If we were having one of these events live, or online, like via VR, what would you do for up to 5 minutes? Would you prefer to give a speech, demonstration, or performance? Would you prefer it be educational, or entertaining, or both? What would your speech, demo, or performance involve? Would you do it alone or in a group? If in a group, who would you do it with? How many good causes do you know of? I like the cause of helping all good causes. Do you?

Seeker

6,875 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
I'm not buying any of what you're selling.

Newbie Noob

I don't get it.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Lela XX
Idealist.org wants to help all good causes achieve their goals. So I want to help Idealist.org help all good causes.

I like the cause of helping all good causes.
What, pray tell, is the criteria for a "good" cause, as opposed to that which isn't one?
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX
Idealist.org wants to help all good causes achieve their goals. So I want to help Idealist.org help all good causes.

What, pray tell, is the criteria for a "good" cause, as opposed to that which isn't one?

A good cause is a cause that is not identified as a bad cause.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

Gaian

Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

By whoever is committing the cause of course. Which incidentally makes any cause a good cause to whoever holds it in regard. Saving orphans, killing jews, shooting republicans, voting, charity work, etc.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
AvenirLegacy
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

By whoever is committing the cause of course. Which incidentally makes any cause a good cause to whoever holds it in regard. Saving orphans, killing jews, shooting republicans, voting, charity work, etc.
That was the point I was trying to make; thank you.
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

By whomever is deemed to be a moral authority by the individual deciding what is and what is not a good cause. Oftentimes, this would include utilitarian ethical reasoning or personal subjective values and experiences.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

By whomever is deemed to be a moral authority by the individual deciding what is and what is not a good cause. Oftentimes, this would include utilitarian ethical reasoning or personal subjective values and experiences.
So... it's totally subjective and arbitrary, then. I see.
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
Lela XX

By whom?

Subjective, sure, but not arbitrary. Most do not hold moral opinions based purely on whim and without reason.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor

By whom?

Subjective, sure, but not arbitrary. Most do not hold moral opinions based purely on whim and without reason.
God is considered the highest moral authority by his followers.

God commands genocide several times in the Old Testament.

Christians still say he's the ultimate, omnibenevolent being.

It's arbitrary.
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor

By whom?

It's arbitrary.

Christians do not assert God to be omnibenevolent arbitrarily; they assert Him as such because the Bible implies him to be that way, most notably 1 John 4:8. To be fair though, even if I were a Bible believing Christian, I still wouldn't accept that God is omnibenevolent.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor

It's arbitrary.

Christians do not assert God to be omnibenevolent arbitrarily; they assert Him as such because the Bible implies him to be that way, most notably 1 John 4:8.
Saying something is the way it is without having any evidence outside of self-serving circular logic is arbitrary.
TJ Raptor
To be fair though, even if I were a Bible believing Christian, I still wouldn't accept that God is omnibenevolent.
Banzai for common sense!
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox
TJ Raptor
Arcoon Effox

It's arbitrary.

Christians do not assert God to be omnibenevolent arbitrarily; they assert Him as such because the Bible implies him to be that way, most notably 1 John 4:8.
Saying something is the way it is without having any evidence outside of self-serving circular logic is arbitrary.
TJ Raptor
To be fair though, even if I were a Bible believing Christian, I still wouldn't accept that God is omnibenevolent.
Banzai for common sense!

Untrue. Saying believing without evidence is arbitrary implies that the only possible reason to believe something is because there is evidence for it. That's simply untrue; oftentimes, for instances, Christians believe because their society and families are primarily Christian and encourage their belief at a young age. Or, perhaps, they had an experience that, to them, is evidence but would not be considered proof under the scientific method. Or they believe due to being convinced by an argument that you have no heard of yet, they logically produced in their own mind, or you've heard that didn't convince you. Regardless of which one of these reasons they have for their belief, its not arbitrary. Hell, even the circular logic that some Christians use when persuading others is not arbitrary if the Christian truly believes the logic to be sound. Stating otherwise is simply shortsighted.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff