Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky~9~Lives

Using words to talk down to someone is using aggressive language towards a person.

Alright, so being aggressive to the person who made the original statement without addressing any one single person in the beginning harbors no consequences?

My goodness this board is so upside down. A person cannot have a personal opinion about what they've observed to be factual in one case without being called out on it, and yet the person who aggressively replied gets no lecture?

If that's the case, this whole segment of the forum should just be removed to prevent aggressive language.
Monochrome Goggles
Alright, so being aggressive to the person who made the original statement without addressing any one single person in the beginning harbors no consequences?

My goodness this board is so upside down. A person cannot have a personal opinion about what they've observed to be factual in one case without being called out on it, and yet the person who aggressively replied gets no lecture?

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.
- pirate
Lucky~9~Lives

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.
- pirate

Ahahaha! oh how true! I'm just glad everyone in this thread is not together in a room with a pointy stick in hand!

Actually... that would be a rather scary scenario. o_o;
Monochrome Goggles

Fair enough, but it's up to them to choose to be offended by it. I'll stop if it becomes a serious issue, but I do recall flaming is akin to using profanity or aggressive language towards a person.

Flaming can be calling anyone a name that they have asked you not to.

Monochrome Goggles

Point me to the exact article about this and I'll be glad to hold my tongue, but otherwise, I'd think that a good majority of Gaians do the same and no one calls them out on it. If that's the case, though, then we're both guilty of projection in this. XD

You were deliberately making an attempt dismiss the other person's argument by treating them like a child or flaming them. I don't have to point to exact articles do I? I did word that in that I left a part of it out. However, you should know what you did was wrong on an intellectual level and deal with it.

Monochrome Goggles
Please tell me you're going around in other topics with no proof of their claims as well instead of just nitpicking on this one because it's gotten a bit touchy on one side. That's like asking for proof that god exists from the people who believe in him.

I and others have done this in numerous threads. Just a few days ago I asked someone for proof of a claim. It is up to you whether to ignore the fact that the burden of proof is on you as you were the one who made the initial comments.

As for your comparison, you should also know that in any discussion where proof is asked for, someone just stating that god does or does not exist is being illogical. Your comparison is bad because there is actual proof as to what Catholocism teaches as opposed to whether or not a deity exists.
Monochrome Goggles

Point to where the person called you names and report her or tell her she is flaming you. The rules of the ED, which you really should read, deal with stating personal opinions as fact. If you can not support them with actual evidence, then they should be retracted. It is called burden of proof. If you had provided actual proof, and the other person(s) kept say nuh uh, then you get to ask them for proof.

Monochrome Goggles
If that's the case, this whole segment of the forum should just be removed to prevent aggressive language.

Aggressive does not equal flaming. There can be flaming involved, but someone can be as matter of fact or as rude as they want as they do not ignore the rules of the ED.
I really should have just pm'd you all of that, so if you would like to edit your topic a little bit and take out the unsupportable personal opinion, then this topic could have a lot of merit.

I personally find it odd when people pray to win the lottery. I also find it disingenious when all of these athletes or media people thank God for them winning the grammy or the game. Did God hate the other team or something?

I am not against people asking for strength for some emotional conflict or important decision. Nor am I wary of people who pray for the healing of a loved one, regardless of what form that healing may come from.
jaden kendam
I really should have just pm'd you all of that, so if you would like to edit your topic a little bit and take out the unsupportable personal opinion, then this topic could have a lot of merit.

I personally find it odd when people pray to win the lottery. I also find it disingenious when all of these athletes or media people thank God for them winning the grammy or the game. Did God hate the other team or something?

I am not against people asking for strength for some emotional conflict or important decision. Nor am I wary of people who pray for the healing of a loved one, regardless of what form that healing may come from.

Yes, yes you should have. I will be happy to comply if you'd be willing to help me pick out the bits that might seem unfounded to others.

Yeah, it's odd when things like that are said. It brings up the question of something like "what if the opposite team had the same faith, equal or greater to yours, why did god pick you then? Did personal talent or effort have nothing to do with it then?

Me neither. Things that cannot be bought or gained through material means seem more sensible. It's natural to want a friend, family member, or someone in a difficult situation to be able to pull through safely. People need some sort of comfort or assurance that things will be ok. Moral decisions are something people often need guidance with as well, and sometimes the words of another might not provide the answers they need.

It's funny when I state a question about a certain practice or a particular belief, and people assume I'm talking down about the religion or all it's followers. it's a bit troublesome too, it's like they think I'm an ignorant person or an atheist.... or something. ^_^;

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
jaden kendam

I think that is tribalistic instincts kicking in here.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Monochrome Goggles
Fireweed_honey

Lol, I never asked you what you believed, so it seems to me that you're just angry and being overly defensive about your beliefs.

Also, Just because I don't get the reasoning behind something doesn't mean I don't understand it. You could call yourself a rainbow farting triceratops who eats magma for breakfast, but that doesn't mean I don't understand, I'd just wonder where you come up with such a ludicrous notion. I don't accept 'wrong' information, because there must be some truth backing it for me to come up with that conclusion based on what I've observed.

You act as if I'm speaking for the entire religion as a whole. rather than the individuals responsible for such statements to occur on my own part. Just because I say Catholics or Christians means I'm being vague.

"Oh please let me pass." Is more like a hope or wish, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on something like that as being a prayer. That would be like saying "Oh for crying out loud, make the neighbor's dog shut up." is a prayer to god to make the dog be quiet, it's a rather vague or indirect thought don't you think?

Again, I ever said all Catholics are idol worshipers. Oh, I think your caps lock was stuck for a second, or were you attempting to shout at me through text? Tisk tisk, I got your statement already, you don't have to reiterate. .

Also, if I'm not 100% correct, then neither are you with such presumptuous statements towards my evidence for my side of the debate.

I can call you hon if I want to, I don't recall the bible saying it's wrong, or that saying that means I'm trying to be chummy with you. And yes, I do try to get firsthand information of the things I disagree with before making an argument, otherwise I'd never have said such thing in the first place.

Go cry some more. emotion_dealwithit

So, the information from a Catholic, on the beliefs of Catholics is false because you have information otherwise? Well, golly, I guess we've been doing this all wrong. You've got all the answers.

Your whining about prayers is all over the place. "Wah wah, they pray for something specific. Wah wah, they pray for something vague." Why not just let people pray and stay out. Do you also moan about those who meditate? It accomplishes the same thing. Or how about Pagans who pray? I know a few who have prayers to their deities on a daily basis. What's your opinion of them?

And no, just saying that "I'm speaking about individuals" doesn't mean you indicated it in your orignal unedited rant. When posting "Why does X group do this", if you want to indicate that you are ONLY talking about individuals, you have to put that in clearly. YOu also need to put in identifiers such as "some" or "a few". Without it, the identifier of "all" is the default. So when you put down, "Why do CAtholics worship idols" the identifier is "Why do ALL Catholics" because you did not indicate some or a few or "Why does the one person I knew do this."

If you got my statement you wouldn't have insisted that you were right when you were in the wrong. Catholics do not worship idols. They do not worship Mary. They do not worship the saints. Just because you keep saying it won't make it right. And that's where I can say you are not 100% right. You have a lot of wrong information. I am a practicing Catholic. I'm in the Catholic church, I see what our beliefs are. I have more knowledge in that area than you do, and it shows. Saying that I must be wrong because one person you know is on the contrary does not mean that I am 100% wrong. You presented an arguement based on evidence of one or two people at best, and that was proven to be the wrong assumption. If you had honestly looked up anything about the Catholic church, you'd realize that they don't worship idols.

And again, don't call me hon. If you do so again, I will report you. I'm not your hon. I'm not your friend. I'm not your sweetie, sugar, or anything else you can think of. You will not call me that again.
Fireweed_honey

So, the information from a Catholic, on the beliefs of Catholics is false because you have information otherwise? Well, golly, I guess we've been doing this all wrong. You've got all the answers.

Your whining about prayers is all over the place. "Wah wah, they pray for something specific. Wah wah, they pray for something vague." Why not just let people pray and stay out. Do you also moan about those who meditate? It accomplishes the same thing. Or how about Pagans who pray? I know a few who have prayers to their deities on a daily basis. What's your opinion of them?

And no, just saying that "I'm speaking about individuals" doesn't mean you indicated it in your orignal unedited rant. When posting "Why does X group do this", if you want to indicate that you are ONLY talking about individuals, you have to put that in clearly. YOu also need to put in identifiers such as "some" or "a few". Without it, the identifier of "all" is the default. So when you put down, "Why do CAtholics worship idols" the identifier is "Why do ALL Catholics" because you did not indicate some or a few or "Why does the one person I knew do this."

If you got my statement you wouldn't have insisted that you were right when you were in the wrong. Catholics do not worship idols. They do not worship Mary. They do not worship the saints. Just because you keep saying it won't make it right. And that's where I can say you are not 100% right. You have a lot of wrong information. I am a practicing Catholic. I'm in the Catholic church, I see what our beliefs are. I have more knowledge in that area than you do, and it shows. Saying that I must be wrong because one person you know is on the contrary does not mean that I am 100% wrong. You presented an arguement based on evidence of one or two people at best, and that was proven to be the wrong assumption. If you had honestly looked up anything about the Catholic church, you'd realize that they don't worship idols.

And again, don't call me hon. If you do so again, I will report you. I'm not your hon. I'm not your friend. I'm not your sweetie, sugar, or anything else you can think of. You will not call me that again.

Fair enough, you done being angry yet?
Fireweed_honey
Why not just let people pray and stay out. Do you also moan about those who meditate? It accomplishes the same thing.

How so?

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Lucky~9~Lives
Fireweed_honey
Why not just let people pray and stay out. Do you also moan about those who meditate? It accomplishes the same thing.

How so?

You're right, bad wording on my part. It accomplishes the same thing for some. That would be inner peace. I do know people (myself included) who only pray to deal with our own turmoil. From what I understand of meditation, it accomplishes the same inner peace and calming of inner turmoil.
Fireweed_honey
Lucky~9~Lives
Fireweed_honey

How so?

You're right, bad wording on my part. It accomplishes the same thing for some. That would be inner peace. I do know people (myself included) who only pray to deal with our own turmoil. From what I understand of meditation, it accomplishes the same inner peace and calming of inner turmoil.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.
Monochrome Goggles
Lucky~9~Lives
Monochrome Goggles
But in all seriousness, it brought up another point that I found annoying about Christians and Catholics.

Catholics are Christians; saying "Christians and Catholics" is like saying "animals and cats".

Lol, not according to them. I knew a Catholic, and she seemed to think that just because she believed in the trinity and saints, that her religion wasn't just a slightly modified version of Christianity.

That person is an idiot.
Fireweed_honey
The fact that you describe people who pray as greedy, superstitious and uneducated says a lot about you.

Excluding "greedy" from the list, I'm not sure how praying can stop you looking superstitious and uneducated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff