Welcome to Gaia! ::

I happened across this, and I couldn't help but laugh...

But in all seriousness, it brought up another point that I found annoying about Christians and Catholics. Why do they so zealously pray over every little thing, or for that matter, for really, REALLY stupid and selfish material needs? I mean, I've known people who said they prayed for an iPad or a cell phone. Really? Why the ******** would you ask god for something like that? Isn't that like mooching to a friend for money when you already have enough? That and they say whenever you have a problem, to pray to god for help. Really? I'm pretty sure I can handle finishing up a class assignment on my own (which I should really be doing right now. ^_^; ) or other such things. But honestly, I can understand if you're having real problems, but for frick's sake, you must think mighty highly of yourself if you think god's got time to give you a fancy smart phone or a gaming console.

The thing that irritates me the most out of all this though is when a friend overhears a person's greedy little prayers and decides to be nice to them and give them what they want. But the first thing that comes out of their superstitious, uneducated mouths is "God answered my prayers and gave this to me!".
Monochrome Goggles
But in all seriousness, it brought up another point that I found annoying about Christians and Catholics.

Catholics are Christians; saying "Christians and Catholics" is like saying "animals and cats".
Lucky~9~Lives
Monochrome Goggles
But in all seriousness, it brought up another point that I found annoying about Christians and Catholics.

Catholics are Christians; saying "Christians and Catholics" is like saying "animals and cats".

Lol, not according to them. I knew a Catholic, and she seemed to think that just because she believed in the trinity and saints, that her religion wasn't just a slightly modified version of Christianity.
That Catholic is an outlier. I grew up Catholic, brother is a priest. They not only consider themselves Christian, but among the original Christians.

Seeker

6,875 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
I'd bite into your face...

Two people you know != All Christians.

Before I go on, I'm not Catholic.

I myself have a hard time praying at all, never really been the dependent type. And when I do, they're usually a thanks. Although, I recently found myself praying for my brother's safety in Afghanistan, but I guess I'm just a selfish b*****d. User Image

As far as Catholocism goes, they are Christians, but they believe in the visible head of the church(the pope and bishops), which to me is borderline not blind faith.

But, to each their own.

... just to be close to your eyes.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Wow, that's a lot of misinformation. Pretty much, it sounds like just because you don't understand something, you really look down on those who perform said actions. Which makes me wonder how the hell you can claim to have Christian friends when your post is so nasty to an aspect of faith.

Monochrome Goggles

As pointed out, Catholics are Christians. The ONLY time I've ever seen people say that they aren't, are from a certain branch of Protestants. From some parts of your post, I can see that you've had contact with them because your information on Catholics is waaaaay out there.

Monochrome Goggles
Why do they so zealously pray over every little thing, or for that matter, for really, REALLY stupid and selfish material needs? I mean, I've known people who said they prayed for an iPad or a cell phone. Really? Why the ******** would you ask god for something like that? Isn't that like mooching to a friend for money when you already have enough? That and they say whenever you have a problem, to pray to god for help. Really? I'm pretty sure I can handle finishing up a class assignment on my own (which I should really be doing right now. ^_^; ) or other such things. But honestly, I can understand if you're having real problems, but for frick's sake, you must think mighty highly of yourself if you think god's got time to give you a fancy smart phone or a gaming console.

Okay, yes, it's selfish to pray for something material like an iphone (God, I want a pony!), but to pass a class? That's not really selfish. In fact, that's in the realm of acceptable. People pray for various reasons, and it's not all Pony related. Some pray for their loved ones, some pray to strength to do something or achieve something, and some pray for the wisdom to fix their problems.
God isn't a genie, He's not going to poof down anyone's material possessions. But praying to have the strength to save the money needed to buy an iphone instead of spending it on other stuff is perfectly acceptable. Every priest I've talked to has said the same thing regarding prayer: God won't just hand you over what you want, but He will put the needed tools in your path.

Monochrome Goggles
Another thing, why do Catholics worship plastic and cement statues of the 'virgin' Mary and other saints? It's a statue for crying out loud! Didn't god get pissed when people were worshiping the golden calf statue? It's the same exact thing, the saints and such aren't god, so why are you worshiping them if the credit goes to the grand master himself?

Catholics don't worship jack s**t. That's a lie that's been floating around since the time Luther said, "Screw you" and went off to create his own church. The statues and pictures of saints are used as reminders of our Holy Family and people we should be trying to emulate. Having a Mary statue in our garden or an angel statue on a shelf doesn't mean we're worshipping it.
Statues and pictures started off as learning tools. Y'know, waaaaaaay back when only like 1% of the population could read. They helped teach people who went to church what they were hearing. As time went on, people naturally wanted to bring the same into their home.

Monochrome Goggles
The thing that irritates me the most out of all this though is when a friend overhears a person's greedy little prayers and decides to be nice to them and give them what they want. But the first thing that comes out of their superstitious, uneducated mouths is "God answered my prayers and gave this to me!".

Soooo, Friend A prayes for five bucks to buy lunch and mysteriously Friend B digs in her pocket and says, "Here", and you get mad because Friend A likes to think that God answered her prayer by nudging Friend B to be generous. So ******** what? As long as Friend A says thanks to Friend B, what do you care?
The fact that you describe people who pray as greedy, superstitious and uneducated says a lot about you.
Fall For Fame
I'd bite into your face...

Two people you know != All Christians.

Before I go on, I'm not Catholic.

I myself have a hard time praying at all, never really been the dependent type. And when I do, they're usually a thanks. Although, I recently found myself praying for my brother's safety in Afghanistan, but I guess I'm just a selfish b*****d. User Image

As far as Catholocism goes, they are Christians, but they believe in the visible head of the church(the pope and bishops), which to me is borderline not blind faith.

But, to each their own.

... just to be close to your eyes.

I don't see it selfish to want the safety of a relative. Who am I to say what IS ok to pray for, but I certainly don't think praying for material possessions is one of those things.

I dunno, I find it iffy when people look to one person for the answers to what certain things mean. The pope seems more like an idol or something that the people can have to please their want of something tangible.
Fireweed_honey
Wow, that's a lot of misinformation. Pretty much, it sounds like just because you don't understand something, you really look down on those who perform said actions. Which makes me wonder how the hell you can claim to have Christian friends when your post is so nasty to an aspect of faith.
Umm... point out to me where exactly I said 'friends' anywhere in my entire statement. Sure, one of them WAS a friend at one time, but no longer, because she was a downright hypocrite to her own faith and used it as a means of being mean and vicious to everyone who didn't mold themselves to her standards.

Besides, I never said anything about the faith itself, it's the followers of it I just don't get because of their ways. And it's not misinformation if I've seen or heard these things firsthand from the people themselves. You may not have people like that around you, but that doesn't necessarily make me wrong now does it?

Fireweed_honey
As pointed out, Catholics are Christians. The ONLY time I've ever seen people say that they aren't, are from a certain branch of Protestants. From some parts of your post, I can see that you've had contact with them because your information on Catholics is waaaaay out there.

Is it really that far out there? Because if so, then those people must not have been very well disciplined. In fact, I don't even recall the one girl to have gone to church at all, she just swallowed whatever he mother told her and watched television about it. I even asked her if she knew anything straight from the bible (which, not a lot of people I know who claim to be part of a religion even bother to take a peek at the inside of one anymore) and she couldn't tell me anything at all.

Fireweed_honey

Okay, yes, it's selfish to pray for something material like an iphone (God, I want a pony!), but to pass a class? That's not really selfish. In fact, that's in the realm of acceptable. People pray for various reasons, and it's not all Pony related. Some pray for their loved ones, some pray to strength to do something or achieve something, and some pray for the wisdom to fix their problems.
God isn't a genie, He's not going to poof down anyone's material possessions. But praying to have the strength to save the money needed to buy an iphone instead of spending it on other stuff is perfectly acceptable. Every priest I've talked to has said the same thing regarding prayer: God won't just hand you over what you want, but He will put the needed tools in your path.

I don't see how praying to pass a class makes sense. Praying isn't going to make you miraculously smart enough to do your homework correctly you know. And saving money, well, that's just having some restraint.

Fireweed_honey

Catholics don't worship jack s**t. That's a lie that's been floating around since the time Luther said, "Screw you" and went off to create his own church. The statues and pictures of saints are used as reminders of our Holy Family and people we should be trying to emulate. Having a Mary statue in our garden or an angel statue on a shelf doesn't mean we're worshipping it.
Statues and pictures started off as learning tools. Y'know, waaaaaaay back when only like 1% of the population could read. They helped teach people who went to church what they were hearing. As time went on, people naturally wanted to bring the same into their home.

Again, I quote the girl I use to talk to. She would sleep with a miniature virgin Mary or pray to it. She was sooooo ecstatic one time because she thought her stomach pain was cured just because she woke up and the statue was near her stomach. That's just tossing about in one's sleep or having gas/indigestion most likely, there's a perfectly logical explanation for things.
Besides, despite it being a teaching tool for the illiterate in the dark ages, don't you think it's going a little far when you go about saying "This is what the Virgin Mary/Jesus/the angels looked like!" to an audience of people who can't read for themselves to confirm you're telling them the truth?

Besides, just because you don't worship it doesn't mean that others I know of haven't.

Fireweed_honey

Soooo, Friend A prayes for five bucks to buy lunch and mysteriously Friend B digs in her pocket and says, "Here", and you get mad because Friend A likes to think that God answered her prayer by nudging Friend B to be generous. So ******** what? As long as Friend A says thanks to Friend B, what do you care?
The fact that you describe people who pray as greedy, superstitious and uneducated says a lot about you.

Generosity is something you choose to do, so it's annoying when people start thinking every little action or coincidence is an act of god. It seems to me you're compensating for lack of proof that everything I've said is 100% incorrect.

Besides, an internet argument is hardly a means of determining a person's characteristics. That's like saying someone who has a complaint about something is a bad person just for venting or sharing their opinion. Yes, it is a little biased of myself to call people greedy, but you can ask people about simple subjects in order to find out whether or not they're superstitious. And I say uneducated because again, a good 70% of Christians I've spoken to can't be bothered to look in a dictionary or google something they don't get.

Try again hon, this time with a little less venom and a little more analysis of the overall context.
Monochrome Goggles
] I happened across this, and I couldn't help but laugh...

But in all seriousness, it brought up another point that I found annoying about Christians and Catholics. Why do they so zealously pray over every little thing, or for that matter, for really, REALLY stupid and selfish material needs? I mean, I've known people who said they prayed for an iPad or a cell phone. Really? Why the ******** would you ask god for something like that? Isn't that like mooching to a friend for money when you already have enough? That and they say whenever you have a problem, to pray to god for help. Really? I'm pretty sure I can handle finishing up a class assignment on my own (which I should really be doing right now. ^_^; ) or other such things. But honestly, I can understand if you're having real problems, but for frick's sake, you must think mighty highly of yourself if you think god's got time to give you a fancy smart phone or a gaming console.
People pray for what they want. It's harmless really. It may not reflect on them well but neither does picking your nose even if it's extremely effective. Eh.
Quote:

Another thing, why do Catholics worship plastic and cement statues of the 'virgin' Mary and other saints? It's a statue for crying out loud! Didn't god get pissed when people were worshiping the golden calf statue? It's the same exact thing, the saints and such aren't god, so why are you worshiping them if the credit goes to the grand master himself?
They don't. problem solved.

Quote:
Considering the proposition that God works through said means it isn't unheard of. You just sound agitated. That's okay. By the way I agree on this point; it is wrongful for humans to not see the good of other humans. Agitates me too.

Quote:
I swear, it makes me want to kill of every last braincell of mine so I don't have to hurt myself trying to fathom the idiotic nonsense of their thought process. D|
I wouldn't stop you.
Jorgunmandr
People pray for what they want. It's harmless really. It may not reflect on them well but neither does picking your nose even if it's extremely effective. Eh.

Lol, yeah. It's just annoying though because it seems to me that they really aren't satisfied with what they already have, and need material possessions to be granted to them by god to be happy. 'Specially when they get depressed over it later because they didn't get what they wanted.

Jorgunmandr
They don't. problem solved.

Got any proof from a source? Or is it just general denial to disagree with a claim about someone's belief system when dealing with an 'outsider' to the faith?

Jorgunmandr
Considering the proposition that God works through said means it isn't unheard of. You just sound agitated. That's okay. By the way I agree on this point; it is wrongful for humans to not see the good of other humans. Agitates me too.

THANK YOU, about time someone else came out and said that humans can be good without having some sort of divine influence to make them so.

Jorgunmandr
I wouldn't stop you.

Sometimes I wonder why I still keep my sanity, maybe it's because trolling zealots and making them rage is too much fun. XD *shot*

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Monochrome Goggles
Fireweed_honey
Umm... point out to me where exactly I said 'friends' anywhere in my entire statement. Sure, one of them WAS a friend at one time, but no longer, because she was a downright hypocrite to her own faith and used it as a means of being mean and vicious to everyone who didn't mold themselves to her standards.

Besides, I never said anything about the faith itself, it's the followers of it I just don't get because of their ways. And it's not misinformation if I've seen or heard these things firsthand from the people themselves. You may not have people like that around you, but that doesn't necessarily make me wrong now does it?

On the friend thing, I am mistaken. I took your words, "I've known people who" to mean you personally knew them and were friends with them. It's a common mistake. After all, when you mention you know people, it's just a natural assumption that if you know their habits, you're in a close personal contact with them. My bad. I guess the Christians of your school just go around praying in corners for all to see.

Oh, wait, you did have ONE Christian friend whom you felt was a hypocrite. Guess I wasn't too far off.

And yes, you had a lot of misinformation in your post. I had pointed it out. It is misinformation. Just seeing something and not understanding what it is leads to misinformation. And from your attitude throughout your post, I doubt you ever really tried to understand and just accepted the wrong information as Gospel Truth.

Monochrome Goggles
Fireweed_honey

Is it really that far out there? Because if so, then those people must not have been very well disciplined. In fact, I don't even recall the one girl to have gone to church at all, she just swallowed whatever he mother told her and watched television about it. I even asked her if she knew anything straight from the bible (which, not a lot of people I know who claim to be part of a religion even bother to take a peek at the inside of one anymore) and she couldn't tell me anything at all.

Yes, your information is waaaaaay out there. Oh, gee, you knew ONE girl. And then you go to say you know more people because "not one person you know who claim to be part of a religion bothers to peek in the Bible". Load of bull. A lot of Christians read the Bible. A lot more study it. Just because teenagers aren't the ones poring over it doesn't mean it's not being read.

Monochrome Google"
Fireweed_honey

I don't see how praying to pass a class makes sense. Praying isn't going to make you miraculously smart enough to do your homework correctly you know. And saving money, well, that's just having some restraint.

Those were examples. And why not pray to pass a class. People do that all the time. Every time an exam runs around, what's the first thing most kids think of? "Oh, please, let me pass." That's just like a prayer. It's not "Oh, Lord, grant me all the brains in the world" it's "Please, let me pass".

Monochrome Googles
Fireweed_honey

Again, I quote the girl I use to talk to. She would sleep with a miniature virgin Mary or pray to it. She was sooooo ecstatic one time because she thought her stomach pain was cured just because she woke up and the statue was near her stomach. That's just tossing about in one's sleep or having gas/indigestion most likely, there's a perfectly logical explanation for things.
Besides, despite it being a teaching tool for the illiterate in the dark ages, don't you think it's going a little far when you go about saying "This is what the Virgin Mary/Jesus/the angels looked like!" to an audience of people who can't read for themselves to confirm you're telling them the truth?

Besides, just because you don't worship it doesn't mean that others I know of haven't.

NO CATHOLIC WORSHIPS IDOLS. How is that hard to understand. Just because ONE friend (oh, sorry, ex friend) had some wacky ideas does not mean all of Catholics do the same.

Just because I meet one a*****e Athiest doesn't mean all of them are assholes. Same rule applies. I've been a Catholic for over three decades, and never once has anyone in any of the churches I've been in worshipped statues or saints or the virgin Mary.

Monochrome Googles
Fireweed_honey

Generosity is something you choose to do, so it's annoying when people start thinking every little action or coincidence is an act of god. It seems to me you're compensating for lack of proof that everything I've said is 100% incorrect.

Besides, an internet argument is hardly a means of determining a person's characteristics. That's like saying someone who has a complaint about something is a bad person just for venting or sharing their opinion. Yes, it is a little biased of myself to call people greedy, but you can ask people about simple subjects in order to find out whether or not they're superstitious. And I say uneducated because again, a good 70% of Christians I've spoken to can't be bothered to look in a dictionary or google something they don't get.

Try again hon, this time with a little less venom and a little more analysis of the overall context.

Nothing you said is 100% proof. You're going off of ONE ex friend. You are biased toward Christians (your words show this). And I doubt it really is "70% of Christians" you talked to. That's a percentage you pulled out of thin air.

If the only Atheist I've talked to is a irreligious a*****e who believes all Christians should be dragged out to the streets and shot, does that mean that I'd be 100% correct in believing that all Atheists were irreligious assholes with the same belief? I'd be pulling from the same pool as you.

And don't call me hon. I'm not your friend. You try to actually do research on the religions your bashing before telling ME what my own religion believes.
Fireweed_honey

Lol, I never asked you what you believed, so it seems to me that you're just angry and being overly defensive about your beliefs.

Also, Just because I don't get the reasoning behind something doesn't mean I don't understand it. You could call yourself a rainbow farting triceratops who eats magma for breakfast, but that doesn't mean I don't understand, I'd just wonder where you come up with such a ludicrous notion. I don't accept 'wrong' information, because there must be some truth backing it for me to come up with that conclusion based on what I've observed.

You act as if I'm speaking for the entire religion as a whole. rather than the individuals responsible for such statements to occur on my own part. Just because I say Catholics or Christians means I'm being vague.

"Oh please let me pass." Is more like a hope or wish, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on something like that as being a prayer. That would be like saying "Oh for crying out loud, make the neighbor's dog shut up." is a prayer to god to make the dog be quiet, it's a rather vague or indirect thought don't you think?

Again, I ever said all Catholics are idol worshipers. Oh, I think your caps lock was stuck for a second, or were you attempting to shout at me through text? Tisk tisk, I got your statement already, you don't have to reiterate. .

Also, if I'm not 100% correct, then neither are you with such presumptuous statements towards my evidence for my side of the debate.

I can call you hon if I want to, I don't recall the bible saying it's wrong, or that saying that means I'm trying to be chummy with you. And yes, I do try to get firsthand information of the things I disagree with before making an argument, otherwise I'd never have said such thing in the first place.

Go cry some more. emotion_dealwithit
Monochrome Goggles

I can call you hon if I want to,

Actually, no you can't. Gaia does have rules against flaming and if someone tells you or asks you not to call them a name which denotes familiarity or a talking down to, then continuing to call them that word is a flame.

Monochrome Goggles
Go cry some more. emotion_dealwithit

Your post is a rant against Christians and you are telling someone who corrected you to cry more. That is called projection and it is also against the rules.

However, you will have to posit proof of your claims about Catholics. As suggested by the rules of the ED which you should familiarize yourself with.
jaden kendam

Actually, no you can't. Gaia does have rules against flaming and if someone tells you or asks you not to call them a name which denotes familiarity or a talking down to, then continuing to call them that word is a flame.

Fair enough, but it's up to them to choose to be offended by it. I'll stop if it becomes a serious issue, but I do recall flaming is akin to using profanity or aggressive language towards a person.

jaden kendam

Your post is a rant against Christians and you are telling someone who corrected you to cry more. That is called projection and it is also against the rules.

Point me to the exact article about this and I'll be glad to hold my tongue, but otherwise, I'd think that a good majority of Gaians do the same and no one calls them out on it. If that's the case, though, then we're both guilty of projection in this. XD

jaden kendam

However, you will have to posit proof of your claims about Catholics. As suggested by the rules of the ED which you should familiarize yourself with.

Please tell me you're going around in other topics with no proof of their claims as well instead of just nitpicking on this one because it's gotten a bit touchy on one side. That's like asking for proof that god exists from the people who believe in him.
Monochrome Goggles
jaden kendam

Fair enough, but it's up to them to choose to be offended by it. I'll stop if it becomes a serious issue, but I do recall flaming is akin to using profanity or aggressive language towards a person.

Using words to talk down to someone is using aggressive language towards a person.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff