Welcome to Gaia! ::

This topic was brought up today in my biology class I just wanted to know your views on it.
I quite recently did a research paper on this, so I do know quite a bit. Personally, I see gentic engineering as playing God. People have absolutely no right to change something that is there by nature. If there is a defect, I feel that it should be left alone. We don't decide whether or not to fix defects in animals and plants, and we shouldn't do that with humans. If something is going to happen, it should be allowed to happen, even if it will make the person something different than what they could be. Suddenly being able to decide what nature will do is, to me, something that is unforgivable.

*NOTE*: This is simply my own opinion. If anyone disagrees with this opinion, then feel free to state that as so. I don't hold anything against those that don't agree with me, mostly because everyone should be allowed to think for themselves and have their own opinions.
There is the school of thought that believes we are all gods, in a sense. So, from that school of thought, this little addition really doesn't mean much... it's simply an additional extention of our already godly powers.

For those outside this school of thought... so what if we play god? If we're able to, shouldn't we exercise the right? Of course, then there are those who think it is a heinous crime against the gods. To play god is to sin... in the most horrible way possible.

From a scientific standpoint, people fail to understand that we have been playing god since we were created. We have done genetic engineering of a sorts since we started domesticating livestock and farm crops. This is nothing new. We simply have a greater degree of control and efficiency. What used to take generations upon generations now takes only a couple.
I'm not sure I agree with it or not. Can I be on the fence?

On the one hand, you're negating what mother nature wants. Or God, or whatever else you want to call that force. Yes, we classify it as a "defect", but would it be there if whatever powers that be didn't want it to be?

And on the other hand, people have always been trying to figure out different ways to alter the course of things. It is human nature to play with and fix things to our liking. Should we suppress what only comes natural to us?
Starlock
There is the school of thought that believes we are all gods, in a sense. So, from that school of thought, this little addition really doesn't mean much... it's simply an additional extention of our already godly powers.

For those outside this school of thought... so what if we play god? If we're able to, shouldn't we exercise the right? Of course, then there are those who think it is a heinous crime against the gods. To play god is to sin... in the most horrible way possible.

From a scientific standpoint, people fail to understand that we have been playing god since we were created. We have done genetic engineering of a sorts since we started domesticating livestock and farm crops. This is nothing new. We simply have a greater degree of control and efficiency. What used to take generations upon generations now takes only a couple.
Thoes are great veiw points. I guess I never really looked at it from your first point. Interesting I just wanted to see what others thought on this topic.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Genetic engineering is a form of leapfrogging in selective breeding - which we've been doing for millenia (how do you think we got seedless grapes?). As such, it's simply an extension to previous practices, not some new sort of thing. Harnessing evolution for the good of humankind is a longstanding traditions.
This just helps the world, and who cares if we are playing to be god, maybe at the end we will discover that god is the science.
I'm not sure why it matters. In the end, technology is its own reason - we don't need to justify it, and certainly not in terms of deities we can't see or otherwise detect.
Quote:
If anyone disagrees with this opinion, then feel free to state that as so.

Why in the name of the wee man wouldnt we state our opinions if we disagreed?

Personally, i dont see why we cant change our DNA, i mean if say god did put something in my DNA that was going to screw me over, and i have the ability to get rid of it, then im getting rid of it.
even if it is part of some huge plan, i dont see why i should sacrificed for it.
EngelerDeamon
I quite recently did a research paper on this, so I do know quite a bit. Personally, I see gentic engineering as playing God. People have absolutely no right to change something that is there by nature. If there is a defect, I feel that it should be left alone. We don't decide whether or not to fix defects in animals and plants, and we shouldn't do that with humans. If something is going to happen, it should be allowed to happen, even if it will make the person something different than what they could be. Suddenly being able to decide what nature will do is, to me, something that is unforgivable.

*NOTE*: This is simply my own opinion. If anyone disagrees with this opinion, then feel free to state that as so. I don't hold anything against those that don't agree with me, mostly because everyone should be allowed to think for themselves and have their own opinions.

So, I take it, you never go to the medical doctor's office, or anything? You don't, perchance, take any medication or over-the-counter drugs, do you?
Since, you know, that's messing with your body's natural functions.
well I think genetic material is not playing with because why would he give us the power to do this ability? 3nodding
genetic engineering is quite literally, trying to play god. Society as we know it is headed down a very dark path. What Hitler was unable to do in the 1940's, scientists will succeed in doing should they continue. Eventually we will have a society of blonde haired, blue eyed size 2's because that's the "perfect" image.
EngelerDeamon

So if I get sick then I guess it is simply something that should be left alone and not tried to be helped. So I should die because if I use medicine it is ******** with how my body naturally works. Also I shouldnt be allowed to take my alleregy medicine? If I dont take it I use atleast 100 tissues a day. So that should be the cost because I cant upset how my body works? Sorry your theory falls apart.-

Wheezing Gekko

Chitsa Black
genetic engineering is quite literally, trying to play god. Society as we know it is headed down a very dark path. What Hitler was unable to do in the 1940's, scientists will succeed in doing should they continue. Eventually we will have a society of blonde haired, blue eyed size 2's because that's the "perfect" image.

You're thinking of Eugenics. Genetic Engineering is separate and distinct.
Chitsa Black
That is of course assuming a meglomaniac takes power and then persuades the mass population that all other races are deficient. Current america (which is the main country behind clones) wouldnt accept such a leader. If america were in a diffrent state then you might argue that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff