Welcome to Gaia! ::

Im curious as to why so many people think Jesus was the Messiah, even though their religion proves that he isn't.

Observe:

(This is taken from the 'Old Testament' which IS actually part of the Bible, you know...so Christans don't just write this off straight away smile

THE MESSIANIC AGE: When the Messiah does come, he will inaugurate the Messianic Age...
a)Peace among all nations (Isiah 2:4; Micah 4:3)
b)Perfect harmony and abundance in nature (Isiah 11:6-9) (but some interpret this as an allegory for peace and prosperity)
c)All Jews return from exile to Israel (Isiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5)
d)Universal acceptance of the Jewish G-d and Jewish religion (Isiah 2:3; 11:10; 66:23; Micah 4:2-3; Zecharia 14:9)
e)No sin or evil; all Israel will obey the commandments (Zephaniah 3:13; Ezekiel 37:24)
f)Reinstatement of the temple (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

http://www.religionfacts.com/judaism/beliefs/messiah.htm

I'm not trying to shatter your beliefs or anything...just simple curiosity! Please explain why you appear to have ignored all this.

Thanks.
Here is a fairly simplistic answer (not slight on your intelligence but rather a reflection of the fact that it is 1:40am here)

When Jesus came he came first to reconcile us to God by offering himself as the ultimate sacrifice, the Jewish tradition was (is?) that a sacrifce would take your sins away, Jesus was perfect and human thus the only sacrifice which could take away everyones sins. He also said that he would come again in glory which as far as I can see is the Messianic age which you are referring to, while Jesus is the Messiah, the work has not yet been completed, I belive it will be one day, maybe not while I live, but Jesus will be back and on that day the prophecys as yet unfurfilled will be.

As a side note there are far more prophecys that he DID fulfill while here the first time than he didn't
hes right ^
The_White

As a side note there are far more prophecys that he DID fulfill while here the first time than he didn't

Which would imply that some of the prophecies are therefore wrong, implying that the bible is errant. Sorry, that doesn't wash old chap :/
he is the only messiah you are going to get, so make the best of it.

wanting to rule the world and have military power is a symptom of human weakness and sin.

the true messiah does not give us the things we want that are bad for us (such as those so-called messianic blessings) but gives us reconciliation, inner peace, purpose, and deliverance from the need to be superior to others.

to the extent that the old prophecies are contrary to this spiritual truth, they are false and ineffectual.
chessiejo

to the extent that the old prophecies are contrary to this spiritual truth, they are false and ineffectual.
This sounds dangerously like Eclectism.
chessiejo

wanting to rule the world and have military power is a symptom of human weakness and sin.

the true messiah does not give us the things we want that are bad for us (such as those so-called messianic blessings) but gives us reconciliation, inner peace, purpose, and deliverance from the need to be superior to others.

excuse me but i think you are being unecessarily [sp?] rude to G-d!
Nahayara
chessiejo

excuse me but i thing you are being unecessarily [sp?] rude to G-d!

You mean God? Seems to me you're being rude to him for not saying his name correctly.</unfunny slander>
Quote:

You mean God? Seems to me you're being rude to him for not saying his name correctly.</unfunny slander>

Spelling His name as G-d is Jewish custom, if I am remembering correctly.
Scifidragon
Quote:

I know. Notice the </unfunny slander> disclaimer.
Scifidragon
Quote:

Thankyou very much. *glares at Knight Reaver*...
Knight Reaver
Scifidragon
Quote:

I know. Notice the </unfunny slander> disclaimer.
hmph.
Wow. Children these days can't take a joke. rolleyes
But anywho. Most Christians think Jesus is the Messiah because they take the bible so literally, they'll believe everything in it. And in the bible, it says Jesus will come again and become the Messiah and blah blah blah. That's why he's considered the Messiah already, because supposedly he's going to come back.
shes right
Knight Reaver
Wow. Children these days can't take a joke. rolleyes
But anywho. Most Christians think Jesus is the Messiah because they take the bible so literally, they'll believe everything in it. And in the bible, it says Jesus will come again and become the Messiah and blah blah blah. That's why he's considered the Messiah already, because supposedly he's going to come back.
Most of Christians interpret the Bible, not take it literally. Of course, you do have to take the "Jesus is the Messiah" part word for word.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff