Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Often it is patronising and insincere so yes, it usually does offend me.

Eloquent Streaker

Annoying? Yes. Patronizing? Yes. Offensive? Not so much. Really, I only get offended when somebody tries using my atheism as a way to insult me, like one of my younger brothers did (despite him not exactly being the model of an ideal Christian).

Adored Admirer

It's offensive? lol

Dapper Reveler

I'd be pretty offended if someone got offended by this, well actually I've gotten into a couple fights over this. people are pretty insane

Greedy Consumer

Jazin Kay
When a Christian says "I'll pray for you", is it actually offensive? Like, at all?

I don't think it is. It just means they're expressing that they care in their own way.

Do the Atheists that get buttmad over it just feel patronized and feel like it's intentional?
I will pray for you, so that you may not forever burn in the fiery pit of despair that is hell for your ways..

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Jazin Kay
When a Christian says "I'll pray for you", is it actually offensive? Like, at all?

I don't think it is. It just means they're expressing that they care in their own way.

Do the Atheists that get buttmad over it just feel patronized and feel like it's intentional?

It really depends on the context, I think.

If a family member or friend of mine passes, and one of my Christian friends say, "I'll pray for you." It doesn't really bother me.

I've gotten a "I'll pray for you" from a Christian when they found out I'm an Atheist. That did irk me a little bit. I didn't get butthurt over it, but it was patronizing in my eyes.

Hopeful Bookworm

Using the word Ill pray for you as a way to belittle someone or make them feel bad is not how the words are suppose to be said. Its suppose to be use as a kind gesture. People mistreat it too much...

I'm Christian and some people have said. "Oh my goodness I cant believe you did that Ill go pray for your soul"

I don't need you to. -.-

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Think of it somewhat this way, OP:

I've known people (mainly in the Southern states) to use the phrase "Bless your/her/his heart" in one of two ways -- one being a sincere expression of sympathy or pity, and the other as a way of a polite insult, especially if the person's an idiot.

"She broke her leg in a car accident, bless her heart."
"That little girl has a face only a mother could love. Bless her little heart."

It depends on the tone and context of usage. One is sincere, and one is patronizing.

Enduring Phantom

No point in getting angry over it, there are more pressing matters to attend to.

Lonely Noob

I am not bothered.

Timid Streaker

azulmagia
Insofar as it implies "I'm going to heaven, you're going to hell" of course it's offensive.

But if the person hearing such a thing doesn't believe in heaven or hell, how does it offend them? What if that person was told "Santa Claus will bring me presents this year and won't bring presents for you this year"? It's basically the same thing. Is it offensive?
Fermanagh
azulmagia
Insofar as it implies "I'm going to heaven, you're going to hell" of course it's offensive.

But if the person hearing such a thing doesn't believe in heaven or hell, how does it offend them? What if that person was told "Santa Claus will bring me presents this year and won't bring presents for you this year"? It's basically the same thing. Is it offensive?

To the extent kicking you in the nuts is offensive even if you're wearing a cup.
Pseudo-Onkelos
It's offensive? lol

So barbed a comment could be little less.
Fermanagh
azulmagia

That is offensive too. Because it's just another way of saying "I'm better than you are!"

To take another example, I'm not married but I'd still be offended if something told me to my face that my wife was a filthy slut.

Unbeatable Gaian

7,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
yes and no. I don't really care but I do find it a bit of a insult when it the I will pray for you cause you don't believe and all, however. I don't flip out or say anything, cause ******** it. Let them live in their own little world.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff