Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rip Van Winkle
Yeah.. and I disregard the no caffeine rule. ^^

ok, let me explain. there is NO caffeine rule. That is an EXTREAMIST point of view. There is a no tea and coffee rule, but nothing about caffiene. I drink WAY too much Mountain Dew, but there's nothing wrong with it. My hubby drink Vanillia Coke.

BYU has a no caffiene policy because Provo is like, Extreamist center....people there are like, against rated R movie too. Weird if you ask me. I couldn't do without my cheesy r rated 80's horror flicks.

Uta's King

Interstellar Pirate

Rip Van Winkle
Hmm.. my opinions?

~sips her diet coke~

Well.. er...

Mostly, I do see where the church could be more lax, like about homosexuals, I disagree, but I can see why the church thinks that way. Though really, I'm kind of torn on that subject. I think they should be able to love eachother, but in another way, I know that marriage is a religious sanctified union between a man and a woman. So I'm mostly borderline, but if I were to say forced to make a decision (like vote) then I would have to go against the church on that issue.

For a more personal subject, I also see why the church is against the masturbation, but I would also have to argue that it is a venting and a releasing of emotions-- without any serious repercussions (like a kid). Besides that, I think it is a natural human need, just as we desire food when we are hungry, we desire pleasure when we are ahem... 'horny'. However, I still think people should save sex until after marriage, as having it before can lead to the consequences, and I'd rather be 'pure' for my husband.

And thats all I can think of... its late and I have a headache. Maybe some more later. gonk
THAT is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear, what individuals within the LDS church actually think. Thank you for your imput.

Uta's King

Interstellar Pirate

Disney Princess
Rip Van Winkle

ok, let me explain. there is NO caffeine rule. That is an EXTREAMIST point of view. There is a no tea and coffee rule, but nothing about caffiene. I drink WAY too much Mountain Dew, but there's nothing wrong with it. My hubby drink Vanillia Coke.

BYU has a no caffiene policy because Provo is like, Extreamist center....people there are like, against rated R movie too. Weird if you ask me. I couldn't do without my cheesy r rated 80's horror flicks.
I think it's fairly clear that there is no specific rule that says that one should not do those things. However, that "extremist" view is widespread in a lot of the communities outside of Utah, certainly in California. This is why people so often associate it with the mormon church. Is there not a guideline called the word of wisdom, written in its original form by Joseph Smith, that advises against drinking "hot drinks" (now interpreted to mean coffee and tea etc, both of which commonly containing caffeine)? I believe this can be found in D&C Section 89.
Ms. Cherrie
Disney Princess
Rip Van Winkle

...Is there not a guideline called the word of wisdom, written in its original form by Joseph Smith, that advises against drinking "hot drinks" (now interpreted to mean coffee and tea etc, both of which commonly containing caffeine)? I believe this can be found in D&C Section 89.

ok, well, if you already know then why ask? I said the same thing, yes? no coffee, no tea. that's it. Yes, they have caffiene in them, but it don't say no caffiene.

Uta's King

Interstellar Pirate

Disney Princess
Ms. Cherrie
Disney Princess
Rip Van Winkle

...Is there not a guideline called the word of wisdom, written in its original form by Joseph Smith, that advises against drinking "hot drinks" (now interpreted to mean coffee and tea etc, both of which commonly containing caffeine)? I believe this can be found in D&C Section 89.

ok, well, if you already know then why ask? I said the same thing, yes? no coffee, no tea. that's it. Yes, they have caffiene in them, but it don't say no caffiene.
The question is...why? Why is it there...why do people follow it...what are people's views on such things
Ms. Cherrie
The question is...why? Why is it there...why do people follow it...what are people's views on such things

Why it is there is because it was inspired. Also, another Word of Wisdom is to be healthy, right? Well, recently you can find studies of Coffee and Tea being bad for you(think about it, you use them to tar hide). So it's a matter of health. People follow it because in the church, you pray about things and wethere or not they are right. I prayed, and realized that they wern't something I should be doing. So I don't. Same with drinking alcohol and smoking. I never really felt they were morally right for me WAY before I heard about the church, so now I know why.

The thing about this church is, you get to pray about what the rules are. You get answers too....if you listen. Some people don't, and some make up answers, I know. But the people in the church are just like everyone else, there are good people and there are bad people. Personally, I believe that the church as itself, is good.
i have a simple question why is it that it's wrong to drink coffee, or tea ( hot deverages) or antying with caffeine. i've only had a FEW mormons give me a good enough answer to this question. oh yeah jsut so everyone knows i lived in southern idaho all my life up until 8 months ago when i moved to northern idaho , i also have lots of mormons friends and gone to church/mutual but i am NOT mormon!
hmmm maybe i should have read all of the posts before i posted.. sorry i just wanted to ask that as soon as possible sweatdrop
nocturnal_angel
hmmm maybe i should have read all of the posts before i posted.. sorry i just wanted to ask that as soon as possible sweatdrop
3nodding did i answer it for you?
The farmer
defenestrated
The farmer
BloodedMary
Isn't it disrespectful to the dead to baptise them afterwards? I mean if they wanted to be baptised they would have been I imagine, not like it's that hard to get one.

They don't have to accept it.. if they want it, we do it, but if they don't want it, it'll mean nothing to them.

I don't see how that answers the question "Is it disrespectful?", though it answers "Will it make them Mormon?".
respect, as well as Disrespect are very relative terms. To a mormon, it would be disrespectfull not to give everyone in the world a chance to be baptised, to an anti-mormon it would be disrespectful for a mormon to assume people want to be baptised.
EDIT: most people in the world have died without hearing what we claim to be the truth.. Baptism for the dead is a way for them to accept it after they have died. ... didn't know if you knew that or not.
Quote:

That's another thing that bugs me about most of the Mormons I've met, if you aren't with them you're against them. Me, I have nothing against Mormons in general, but I would feel it was disrespectful to baptise me after I was dead. I'm hoping to be off in Valhalla at the time and really don't need someone ringing the spiritual phone from this side asking if I want to be Mormon. It's similar to why I don't want a Christian funeral. It just seems really strange though and a bit disrespectful to some of the dead people in question. (At least to me).
Disney Princess
nocturnal_angel
3nodding did i answer it for you?
well not to be rude but....
that is pretty much the same response that i ussually get.. the best respnse was that mormons think you body is a temple if you put stuff in it that is currossive then it'll deteriorate and become weak. same thing wtih tatoo's and piercings. it would be like putting "graffitti" on a temple ( but i consider it art and a form of self expression) sorry i was slightly expecting a more convincing debate( i'm a speach/drama kid) but personally your view is valid , just not to the extent that i'll change. but like i said i grew up in southern idaho heck i even went to temple suare and went all over there. also i'm mexican and even though i gto alot of descrimination from mormons in my home town and high school i'll still get along with them.
BloodedMary

That's another thing that bugs me about most of the Mormons I've met, if you aren't with them you're against them. Me, I have nothing against Mormons in general, but I would feel it was disrespectful to baptise me after I was dead. I'm hoping to be off in Valhalla at the time and really don't need someone ringing the spiritual phone from this side asking if I want to be Mormon. It's similar to why I don't want a Christian funeral. It just seems really strange though and a bit disrespectful to some of the dead people in question. (At least to me).

well, baptisms for the dead are for those that WANT to be baptised(i.e., didn't hear about the church when alive, died too young, didn't believe in anything till they died, etc.). Just because the dead get baptized doesn't mean much really if they don't believe in it. If they don't want to be, then nothing happens. If when they die, they realize everything and want to be, then it's done for them. Since for the most part you can't tell what a dead person wishes, it's done just in case. Like people like my parents. They don't want to believe in the church, ok....well, that doesn't mean I won't preform the baptisms after they die. If you don't get baptised, you CANNOT go to...we'll say heaven for the time being. So, it shows love, think of it that way. And without the "annoying" bugging people thing. If your dead, you won't notice it anyway. Especially if your not paying attention to things like that.
Disney Princess
BloodedMary

well, baptisms for the dead are for those that WANT to be baptised(i.e., didn't hear about the church when alive, died too young, didn't believe in anything till they died, etc.). Just because the dead get baptized doesn't mean much really if they don't believe in it. If they don't want to be, then nothing happens. If when they die, they realize everything and want to be, then it's done for them. Since for the most part you can't tell what a dead person wishes, it's done just in case. Like people like my parents. They don't want to believe in the church, ok....well, that doesn't mean I won't preform the baptisms after they die. If you don't get baptised, you CANNOT go to...we'll say heaven for the time being. So, it shows love, think of it that way. And without the "annoying" bugging people thing. If your dead, you won't notice it anyway. Especially if your not paying attention to things like that.
but ? doesnt the act of babtising them after they are dead and buried in THEIR religion constitute as being disrepectful, by baptising them as lds?
nocturnal_angel
but ? doesnt the act of babtising them after they are dead and buried in THEIR religion constitute as being disrepectful, by baptising them as lds?

The members(myself included) believe that this is the true church. I know others argue, but I'm explaining why we baptise. If this is the TRUE and only true church, than you'd have to get baptised into this church. That's another reason baptisms arn't done at birth, because it's your choice wether or not to do it. Baptisms for the dead are a 'just in case' sorta thing. You don't have to accept it. Eitehr way, if your a devout catholic all your life, and you turn out to be right, your safe....but if your wrong, and the church baptisms you, your still safe. See? It's hard to explain things like this. Mainly because it's one of those things that you have to pray about to find out the truth. But I explained it to the best of my knowledge.
And I don't think it's disrespectful, because as I said, we believe it's the true church.
consider this example to put in perspective. say you called me a s**c and i didnt; want to be called one( personally it wouldn't faze me ...... too much stare ) so by saying that if a person doesnt accept it then there's no harm done right? not likely.. even though i didn't accept the title of "s**c" there was still the initial disrespect from calling me that to begin with.
ok ithought about this for a sec and here's soemthing better... ok you are lds right? you want to be batpised mormon right? so if i came to your grave and baptised you (who knows what religion) wouldn't you feel slightly upset considering that you felt confident that your church was right? cuz you found this to be whqt you have "faith" in. so why not let people be happy knowing or "believing" their church is right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff