Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
I have a few friends who believe that they can heal other people through the laying on of hands and prayer. Personally, I do not believe this happens today. They claim there are many instances where people have been healed and cured of their ailments. However, I have yet to see any verifiable evidence for such stories. Nothing objective is ever provided as evidence. The best they can offer are stories and subjective observations.

Testimonials from those who claim healing often fall short of cases reported in medical journals. No X-Rays, labs, or documentation is available. The opportunity for peer review is almost impossible. Yet despite these necessary forms of evidence (or lack thereof), they heartily believe these stories.

External issues such as scars, burns, amputations and etc are never cured. Most of the alleged healing cases mostly concern internal issues that cannot be seen by onlookers. External ailments are usually prayed for but never is there any healing of sorts other than the obvious natural healing that may come through time. The reason why I bring this up is because this lack of common sense is disturbing to me. I wish to explain to them in a logical way why these things cannot happen, but I need people who know a thing or two about the human body to help me. I'm a Psych major, not an aspiring physiologist.

I myself am religious, but I do not believe the "Gift of Healing" as presented in the Bible is in continuation today.

Prophet

Aged Lunatic

Man, I've always wanted to go up to someon elike that, take a razor blade right to my arm, and see if they can heal THAT. Or see if they cave and call the actual medical practitioners first.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't believe any form of prayer "works". I find prayer to be more for the one praying rather than the prayee. Although when it comes to "praying the illness away", I suppose I can submit to someone experiencing some type of placebo effect.

Other than that, "faith healing" is hokum, and I'll stick to "my-doctor-spent-many-years-in-medical-school healing".

Headstrong Sex Symbol

14,350 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Alien Invasion 50
Golden Black Tea
I have a few friends who believe that they can heal other people through the laying on of hands and prayer. Personally, I do not believe this happens today. They claim there are many instances where people have been healed and cured of their ailments. However, I have yet to see any verifiable evidence for such stories. Nothing objective is ever provided as evidence. The best they can offer are stories and subjective observations.

Testimonials from those who claim healing often fall short of cases reported in medical journals. No X-Rays, labs, or documentation is available. The opportunity for peer review is almost impossible. Yet despite these necessary forms of evidence (or lack thereof), they heartily believe these stories.

External issues such as scars, burns, amputations and etc are never cured. Most of the alleged healing cases mostly concern internal issues that cannot be seen by onlookers. External ailments are usually prayed for but never is there any healing of sorts other than the obvious natural healing that may come through time. The reason why I bring this up is because this lack of common sense is disturbing to me. I wish to explain to them in a logical way why these things cannot happen, but I need people who know a thing or two about the human body to help me. I'm a Psych major, not an aspiring physiologist.

I myself am religious, but I do not believe the "Gift of Healing" as presented in the Bible is in continuation today.

Well, I consider myself kind of like a "faith healer" as you put it. Though I don't claim to heal any injuries. Just heal the pain, make it go away. I don't know if that helps at all, but I figured I'd just put that out there....

Clean Citizen

i bring once my b***h whore sister to faith healer, see if he can fix her ugliness, fatness, and stupidness.
she still just as fat, ulgy, and stupid, so obviously it didn't work.
Golden Black Tea

There is no evidence to suggest that it works. At all.

But it might like a placebo affect. But like this claim, there are many others in the bible and in daily life that are also unsubstantiated. Like the ability to hear God's demands or speaking in tongues.

Hilarious Fatcat

It's the peopel who believe that resting hands on a person to direct energies into that person to perform a healing either from inviting in a god or goddess, or just your own energy into the healing. It's all a matter of what you believe.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Slight correction or supplemental thing here OP:

We have no valid evidence or reason to believe that faith healing has ever worked moreso than within the qualifiers that you provided (natural healing over time) and therefore the lack of common sense does not come from a mere exercise of logic, but a look at History.

To put it bluntly: When those privileged-enough-to -practice-religion do so pimp their beliefs en masse, they open up the floodgates for incidents like this to happen.

"The word of God is the ultimate truth!"

"HORRY s**t! I'd better follow it to the letter and avoid the wrath of gawd at all times, and that means foregoing the logic and inferior brainmeats of man to exercise jesusmagic wherever I can!"

It's called riding the coat-tails of success. Powerful and politically influential christians (like the ******** Vatican or the Muslim Brotherhood, for example) use their success and influence to either willingly or otherwise portray the idea that being a Christian will make you powerful and politically influential.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff