Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is it moral to eat another living creature?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 8, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

The argument against vegetarianism is that its natural to eat meat, but if because of evolution, our morality and technology provides us with a way and reason to not is that not in fact natural?
Why shoudn't we eat meat?

meat is yummy.
Archam
The argument against vegetarianism is that its natural to eat meat, but if because of evolution, our morality and technology provides us with a way and reason to not is that not in fact natural?

Plus, our teeth aren't made to eat a strictly herbivorous diet without modern technology anyway.
AyanamiRei

meat is yummy.

Yay! Also, is an action only immoral if it is convenient to do otherwise? I mean, what is wrong about eating meat, that isn't wrong about doing it if you "have to?" Also, is it not ok for poor people to eat meat? Surely they don't have access to the nearest Wild Oats and if they did, they would not be able to afford any of the lovely soy products or vitamins necessary to sustain health in the vegetarian lifestyle? Or is there a cutoff point? Can people with incomes below $20,000/yr eat meat, and everyone above is obligated to avoid meat? I'm sorry, but I don't feel this particular argument holds water.
Gilwen
AyanamiRei

meat is yummy.

Yay! Also, is an action only immoral if it is convenient to do otherwise? I mean, what is wrong about eating meat, that isn't wrong about doing it if you "have to?" Also, is it not ok for poor people to eat meat? Surely they don't have access to the nearest Wild Oats and if they did, they would not be able to afford any of the lovely soy products or vitamins necessary to sustain health in the vegetarian lifestyle? Or is there a cutoff point? Can people with incomes below $20,000/yr eat meat, and everyone above is obligated to avoid meat? I'm sorry, but I don't feel this particular argument holds water.

yes, there is a cut off point, the point where it's no longer safe or plausible to not eat meat is where it becomes moral. weighting the harm over the good, if it does more good than harm, then its moral. If someone is going to die or be hurt from it its not really anymore. Human life and convinence versus animal life, in some cases its reasonable to eat meat, in some cases its immoral.

Im actually not a vegetarian, i just thought it could be an interesting debate.
poopy_macpoop
Archam

Plus, our teeth aren't made to eat a strictly herbivorous diet without modern technology anyway.

But we have the ability to create and use such technology... Our intelligence is part of our evolution, any changes we make would create a new natural equilibrium.
Archam
Gilwen
AyanamiRei

meat is yummy.

yes, there is a cut off point, the point where it's no longer safe or plausible to not eat meat is where it becomes moral. weighting the harm over the good, if it does more good than harm, then its moral. If someone is going to die or be hurt from it its not really anymore. Human life and convinence versus animal life, in some cases its reasonable to eat meat, in some cases its immoral.

Im actually not a vegetarian, i just thought it could be an interesting debate.

I don't follow. Why is it wrong to kill animals? they kill eachother. (preditation)

Meat is yummy. why not eat meat? The Animals do it?

(i feel so pre-school...)
Archam
poopy_macpoop
Archam

But we have the ability to create and use such technology... Our intelligence is part of our evolution, any changes we make would create a new natural equilibrium.

Morality isn't a part of evolution. If people who eat meat screw more and squeeze out more kids than vegans, than the meaties win. I don't see how morals come into it.
AyanamiRei

I don't follow. Why is it wrong to kill animals? they kill eachother. (preditation)

because we have the ability not to.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
why don't we just all eat completely synthetic nuterients? I mean, that way we wouldn't be eating another living thing at all. wouldn't that be the most moral thing to do? I'm sure science could come up with something completely synthetic that could be a complete and nutritious food source for humans.
Archam
AyanamiRei

But there's no compelling need not to. I have the ability to cut off my hand. I don't.
poopy_macpoop
Morality isn't a part of evolution. If people who eat meat screw more and squeeze out more kids than vegans, than the meaties win. I don't see how morals come into it.

Evolution is just what seperates us from animals and gives us the ability to live without meat. And morality is evolved but that fact is irrelevant to the point. Morality comes into everything, it's what holds our society together. Society is really just a community of humans in a larger community of the entire earth. Therefore, Morals applying to society apply to the world. To say morals dont apply is like the theory of social darwinism, poor people are less than rich because they're inept, which is generally accepted as immoral these days.
Archam
AyanamiRei

We also have the ability not to utilize sexual reproduction and clone everyone. (bad idea tho)

The ability not doesn't mean we shouldn't.
poopy_macpoop
Archam
AyanamiRei

But there's no compelling need not to. I have the ability to cut off my hand. I don't.

It's like the theory of social darwinism, poor people are less than rich because they're inept, which is generally accepted as immoral these days.
Archam
poopy_macpoop
Archam
AyanamiRei

It's like the theory of social darwinism, poor people are less than rich because they're inept, which is generally accepted as immoral these days.

Except not, because poor people breed like rabbits and the poor people genes become more widespread. So they win. Quality of life doesn't matter at all except in its effect on how many viable kids you can squeeze out before you die.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff