Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, There is this super Evangelist group running around my campus that has been making its mission to transform anyone they come into contact with into Jesus loving Christians. Now, this wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that they constantly interrupt my studying to try and shove Jesus down my throat.

I decided to research this group to get a better idea of what they were about and was shocked. They were anti evolution, believing the entire thing is crockery, and anti-birth control, except in the case of medical necessity. They believe it the duty of women to pop out babies and take care them to create more followers of Christ. In their eyes, that might be nice, but that's tad scary to me because of how they go about getting followers.

They go to disgruntled individuals or college students who might be trying to find themselves. Basically, people who are easier catch. This includes twisting info to eventually lead anyone they speak to back to Jesus with the ultimate goal of converting them. I stumbled upon a forum in which people are able to ask questions and have them answered by the pastor. Here is a sample of such an entry:

Is There Really Only One True Religion?

A. There are many different religions and faiths claiming that they are the only way to heaven. Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong. I’m not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity, but if people believe in something then I would think there would be some concrete evidence for the foundation to their faith. Back to my question, If one is right and the rest wrong, wouldn’t there be some serious loopholes in the “wrong” ones?
Only One Religion Corresponds With Reality

All world-views have to answer the questions that all humans intrinsically ask, Where do we come from? What is our purpose? What is Morality? Why is there evil and suffering in the world? and What will happen when we die? Only the Christian worldview answers all of these questions to the clearest extent. It is the only religion which clearly corresponds to reality and whose text is so instructional and clear in explanation. Other world-views try but they all lack depth and correspondence with reality.

Buddhism doesn’t explain where evil and suffering come from it just explains what one must do to try to get away from it, and that which teaches us how to get away were taught by Buddha, who ultimately died and no one really knows if he ever overcame it. Hinduism adapts relativism, which breaks the very structure of thought to know Truth. Islam and many cults claim the Bible as their foundation of legitimacy (since many come hundreds and others thousands of years after the new testament), then they go and deny their foundation and posit contradictory information which still roots itself in the denied foundation. Once one denies their foundation for legitimacy all of their claims built on a broken foundation, lack foundation. Culture is also against many, for culture perpetuates thinking which is devoid of truth.

“He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, “Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!” And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!” They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, “Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?” Isaiah 44:15-19
People Ultimately Want To Deny Jesus As God

This is an example in the Bible how man will follow foolishness to all extents. Romans 1:18-32 describes how and why people follow other religions. in 2 Corinthians 3:13-18 Paul describes that peoples’ hearts are hardened and there is a veil over their eyes and that only through Christ can one come and have their veil lifted to truth and salvation. This is why you can prove to someone God is real logically, historically, rationally but they will never accept the Lordship of Christ, because their hearts still have a veil over it. People do not accept Jesus by facts alone but through the heart and the Spirit.

So why do people not see the true God of reality? because of the darkness of the human heart to not look and accept the fallacy of an idea for personal comfort;

“And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. “For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.” John 3:19-20

TL;DRThe pastor is basically describing, with vague and twisted explanations, how other religions such as Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism are false religions because they either don't explain the origins of evil or are based on a faulty foundation and that Christianity is the one true religion.
What are your views on Evangelists?
What are your views on the Q&A post?
Other
Nothing? Awww. crying
After reading and re-reading this monstrous and vile Q&A post, I listed off the things that are just wrong.

-First of all, denominational Christianity is just... well wrong. I don't care how convincing they are, that is all they will ever be (if even that). I'm sure its good for a lot of people, but it just isn't for everyone.

-The Pastor saying that "because there are many different religions and faiths... that OBVIOUSLY means that one is right and the rest is wrong". The Pastor has no right to claim this, and logically this doesn't make sense. How does he even conclude this? They are not connected at all. What if none are right? Why is it that there must be ONE that is right, and the rest are wrong? This Pastor is closed minded already, and lacks the logical conclusions that even a 5th grader could make.

-The Pastor mentions "concrete evidence" for the foundation of the faith... but that directly contradicts the purpose of faith. If we have "concrete evidence", is it really faith? or has it become knowledge? Knowledge that something is true, is different than having "faith" that something is true. Knowledge is complete and supportable by fact. Faith is not.

-This Pastor also cannot say things about other religions; he is a Pastor of Christianity... and even claims that he is not very "learned". So we are now reading a "learned response on why other religions are wrong", when he is "unlearned"? How much does he actually know? On what authority can he say these things?

-He mentions that it is very "clear", but if you ever read the Bible, that shiz isn't even half-clear. The King James version of the Bible is incredibly tough to read at many sections (try reading Mathews parables for the first time, and understanding what the heck just happened, without an internet source to explain it to you), and it contradicts itself in many different points. The Bible itself could be considered a "poor" instrument for finding God, simply because it lacks the purity of the words of those who wrote it originally. Who is to say that any of the Books in the Bible, actually belong to us? Many Books like Corinthians, were directed to specific people. Not to the civilizations 2,000 years later.

Who is to say that any form of Christianity is truly right? Or pure?

Can God reveal these things to the Pastor? It almost sounds like God must have, he is taking a lot of very big "jumps" in logic.

-Anyone who says "you can prove God is real logically" is fooling themselves. There is no proof. There might be evidence. If there was proof, then faith would no longer exist.

-The Pastor tries to interpret other religions to be wrong, because they do not share the same religious circumstances. The Pastor is therefor saying that the religion is only true when it Americanized. He is wrong to say that there is any set of rules, rituals, or teachings that a religion must have, in order for it to be true. This is a very dull opinion.

God, I really hope that somebody doesn't pay this dude to say crap like this. This is just... well awful.

Aged Gaian

5,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
They can believe what they want, and I won't bother them unless they try to "save" me and that goes for all Jesus based religions.

He's a hypocrite, and most of what he wrote was opinion. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to say everyone has to believe what I do or they are evil, which is what he says at the end. How can he explain devote Christians who asked questions, got no answers and found the same questions answered with another religion? People like that are so closed minded you can't have a debate with them, everything is just faith or the devil.
If they were Christian they would be out serving others, not what you described.

It's quite frustrating when someone takes on the name of "little Christ", yet acts completely opposite of him.
Ah, see. I thought it was just me who felt like going Wtf when seeing this. Unfortunately, they seem to be getting quiet a few followers and I find that disturbing. Mind you, some of these people seem to be from troubled backgrounds. And, yes, he does get paid to say this crap and rope people into believing this crap. emotion_facepalm
chingate
If they were Christian they would be out serving others, not what you described.

It's quite frustrating when someone takes on the name of "little Christ", yet acts completely opposite of him.
Well, see, they believe going out and evangelizing is serving others....you know, saving their souls from eternal damnation.

Anxious Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
Monochrome Morpheus
So, There is this super Evangelist group running around my campus that has been making its mission to transform anyone they come into contact with into Jesus loving Christians. Now, this wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that they constantly interrupt my studying to try and shove Jesus down my throat.

Oh good grief. Where do you live? Do you know if it's possible to call the cops on them? This could technically count as harassment. If not, research the subject and see if you can get into a debate. Ask them if they can back up their beliefs without using the Bible as a source. Otherwise you should get another book to serve as your own backup. Maybe the Harry Potter series? It also has prophecies which are fulfilled within the text. Perhaps Lord of the Rings? It not only has prophecies fulfilled in the text, but prophecies which become true in real life. How many Elves do you see nowadays?

Just a passing thought. Continue.

Monochrome Morpheus
I decided to research this group to get a better idea of what they were about and was shocked. They were anti evolution, believing the entire thing is crockery, and anti-birth control, except in the case of medical necessity. They believe it the duty of women to pop out babies and take care them to create more followers of Christ. In their eyes, that might be nice, but that's tad scary to me because of how they go about getting followers.

Yikes.

Monochrome Morpheus
They go to disgruntled individuals or college students who might be trying to find themselves. Basically, people who are easier catch. This includes twisting info to eventually lead anyone they speak to back to Jesus with the ultimate goal of converting them.

Sounds like a cult to me.

Monochrome Morpheus
I stumbled upon a forum in which people are able to ask questions and have them answered by the pastor. Here is a sample of such an entry:

From hereon in, my quotes won't have your name on them since it's not you, so my ranting at essentially nobody won't sound like I'm bitching at you. Just... random unnecessary note for clarity.

Quote:

A. There are many different religions and faiths claiming that they are the only way to heaven. Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong.

Alright, first thing's first. This guy is a jackass. "Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong." This is not necessarily true. There are always the options that none are right, or that they are all right and just so self-absorbed that they assume they're the only ones who are right.

Quote:
I’m not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity, but if people believe in something then I would think there would be some concrete evidence for the foundation to their faith.

He is absolutely right on both counts. He's not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity. I'll get to that when we get to Buddhism. And yeah. Concrete evidence. Where is that for Christianity again? Prophecies? As I said, you can look in any work of fantasy fiction and find prophecies. You can also get prophecies which supposedly are fulfilled in the real world. "There will be many wars!" We're dealing with humans here. There will always be war.

Quote:
Back to my question, If one is right and the rest wrong, wouldn’t there be some serious loopholes in the “wrong” ones?

Uhhh... loopholes, you say? Like how some ******** serial killer can murder numerous innocent people, but because he prays and begs forgiveness to Jesus, his slate is wiped clean and he's allowed into Heaven? Sounds like a pretty serious ******** loophole to me.

Quote:

Okay, this is just outright hilarious.

Quote:
All world-views have to answer the questions that all humans intrinsically ask, Where do we come from? What is our purpose? What is Morality? Why is there evil and suffering in the world? and What will happen when we die?

Interesting that he says that, because that's actually what most religions exist for.

Quote:
Only the Christian worldview answers all of these questions to the clearest extent. It is the only religion which clearly corresponds to reality and whose text is so instructional and clear in explanation. Other world-views try but they all lack depth and correspondence with reality.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Buddhism doesn’t explain where evil and suffering come from it just explains what one must do to try to get away from it, and that which teaches us how to get away were taught by Buddha, who ultimately died and no one really knows if he ever overcame it.

HOLD IT! Now, the guy says he's not very learned in other religions, right? So first off, what's he doing saying what other religions teach? Because he's not doing a very good job at it.

Buddhism does explain where suffering comes from. It says it comes from attachment - thus, within yourself. This seems to very nicely fit in with what modern psychology understands about certain things. Clinginess and assholes, that's the majority of suffering. Basically, it all comes down to the ego. "Me and mine. Look out for #1. ******** everybody else." Everything against the Golden Rule - which plays into many religions, not just Christianity. And it deals with all of this (sometimes) without resorting to the supernatural.

As for the Buddha, we know that he overcame it. He overcame it in his lifetime. Or does this guy mean death? Why be so worried about death? Because you're attached to life? Not to get into being preachy here, I'm not actually a Buddhist, but it seems that this guy doesn't understand their religion at all.

Quote:
Hinduism adapts relativism, which breaks the very structure of thought to know Truth.

Hahaha. Breaking the structure of thought. Good one. There's nothing wrong with relativism when you can't tell who's full of s**t and who's not. Of course, when you can tell who's full of s**t, then you don't need to listen to Evangelists.

Quote:
Islam and many cults claim the Bible as their foundation of legitimacy (since many come hundreds and others thousands of years after the new testament), then they go and deny their foundation and posit contradictory information which still roots itself in the denied foundation.

And how long after the Old Testament was the New Testament written, again...? By the by, there seems to be an awful lot of contradictory information between Old and New. Lots of retcons and "Hey, you know all that stuff God said? Yeah, let's toss that out. This is your new God, by the way. He's human."

Quote:
Once one denies their foundation for legitimacy all of their claims built on a broken foundation, lack foundation. Culture is also against many, for culture perpetuates thinking which is devoid of truth.

Let's stop for a moment to think of the pure idiocy of what he just said.

Quote:
[Bible quote]

Yeah, let's skip these. If you can't rationalize without the Bible, it's clear you have none of - what was that again? - foundation. That whole "thinking is devoid of truth" is a**-backwards. Thinking is, as Christians might say, a God-given right - nay, ability! Gnostics will back me up on this. If we do not utilize our ability to think for ourselves, we are doing a great injustice to our Creator.

Quote:

Gee, I wonder why that is.

Quote:
This is an example in the Bible how man will follow foolishness to all extents.

Quote:
Romans 1:18-32 describes how and why people follow other religions.

Uh, just gonna go 1:18-20 here... "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

No he ******** hasn't. A bunch of guys wrote a book, of many books throughout many cultures, and not a damn thing is made plain.

I see nothing in this section except "It's because they're wicked!" Moving on.

Quote:
in 2 Corinthians 3:13-18 Paul describes that peoples’ hearts are hardened and there is a veil over their eyes and that only through Christ can one come and have their veil lifted to truth and salvation.

More "they're wicked!" bullshit. This is subjective and demonizing, and not at all relevant to any decent logic or "foundations of truth." Nothing but over-emotional, hateful, xenophobic tribalism. "We're right, and everybody else is wrong, because we say so." Moving the ******** on.

Quote:
This is why you can prove to someone God is real logically, historically, rationally but they will never accept the Lordship of Christ, because their hearts still have a veil over it. People do not accept Jesus by facts alone but through the heart and the Spirit.

LOGICALLY? HISTORICALLY? BULLSHIT. As I think I mentioned before, this is spoken like a goddamn cult. He says it's the spinoffs of Christianity who are cults. I say this is. It's all an attempt to separate themselves from the rest of the world. As if they alone know the Grand Truth of the Universe, and only through their figurehead, a man they've raised up to godhood purely by faith alone, is going to save them from their evil wickedness of humanity. That's what really gets me. I've got no beef with Christianity on basic principles, but this is just absolutely maddening.

Quote:
So why do people not see the true God of reality? because of the darkness of the human heart to not look and accept the fallacy of an idea for personal comfort;

FALLACY? FALLACY? PERSONAL COMFORT? Sorry, sorry... I'll calm down now. Gotta finish this with a reasonably cool head.

Quote:
[another ******** biblical verse]

Yeah, no.

Monochrome Morpheus
TL;DRThe pastor is basically describing, with vague and twisted explanations, how other religions such as Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism are false religions because they either don't explain the origins of evil or are based on a faulty foundation and that Christianity is the one true religion.

Yeah, it's pretty awful. He's just... he's a ******** idiot. Maybe if he did actually learn about these religions, he'd accept their validity, and understand that he's not the only one with a reasonable, realistic view of the universe. If anything, maybe he'll understand that his view of the universe is skewed, distorted, and just plain sick.

Monochrome Morpheus

Self-righteous, egotistical, (and as I've said) xenophobic, tribalistic blowhards.
Monochrome Morpheus

It's a good sign that the man is probably insane.
Monochrome Morpheus
Other

******** him. Like vamperus said, he's a hypocrite.
Xiam
Monochrome Morpheus

Oh good grief. Where do you live? Do you know if it's possible to call the cops on them? This could technically count as harassment. If not, research the subject and see if you can get into a debate. Ask them if they can back up their beliefs without using the Bible as a source. Otherwise you should get another book to serve as your own backup. Maybe the Harry Potter series? It also has prophecies which are fulfilled within the text. Perhaps Lord of the Rings? It not only has prophecies fulfilled in the text, but prophecies which become true in real life. How many Elves do you see nowadays?

Just a passing thought. Continue.

Monochrome Morpheus

Yikes.

Monochrome Morpheus
They go to disgruntled individuals or college students who might be trying to find themselves. Basically, people who are easier catch. This includes twisting info to eventually lead anyone they speak to back to Jesus with the ultimate goal of converting them.

Sounds like a cult to me.

Monochrome Morpheus
I stumbled upon a forum in which people are able to ask questions and have them answered by the pastor. Here is a sample of such an entry:

From hereon in, my quotes won't have your name on them since it's not you, so my ranting at essentially nobody won't sound like I'm bitching at you. Just... random unnecessary note for clarity.

Quote:

A. There are many different religions and faiths claiming that they are the only way to heaven. Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong.

Alright, first thing's first. This guy is a jackass. "Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong." This is not necessarily true. There are always the options that none are right, or that they are all right and just so self-absorbed that they assume they're the only ones who are right.

Quote:
I’m not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity, but if people believe in something then I would think there would be some concrete evidence for the foundation to their faith.

He is absolutely right on both counts. He's not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity. I'll get to that when we get to Buddhism. And yeah. Concrete evidence. Where is that for Christianity again? Prophecies? As I said, you can look in any work of fantasy fiction and find prophecies. You can also get prophecies which supposedly are fulfilled in the real world. "There will be many wars!" We're dealing with humans here. There will always be war.

Quote:
Back to my question, If one is right and the rest wrong, wouldn’t there be some serious loopholes in the “wrong” ones?

Uhhh... loopholes, you say? Like how some ******** serial killer can murder numerous innocent people, but because he prays and begs forgiveness to Jesus, his slate is wiped clean and he's allowed into Heaven? Sounds like a pretty serious ******** loophole to me.

Quote:

Okay, this is just outright hilarious.

Quote:
All world-views have to answer the questions that all humans intrinsically ask, Where do we come from? What is our purpose? What is Morality? Why is there evil and suffering in the world? and What will happen when we die?

Interesting that he says that, because that's actually what most religions exist for.

Quote:
Only the Christian worldview answers all of these questions to the clearest extent. It is the only religion which clearly corresponds to reality and whose text is so instructional and clear in explanation. Other world-views try but they all lack depth and correspondence with reality.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Buddhism doesn’t explain where evil and suffering come from it just explains what one must do to try to get away from it, and that which teaches us how to get away were taught by Buddha, who ultimately died and no one really knows if he ever overcame it.

HOLD IT! Now, the guy says he's not very learned in other religions, right? So first off, what's he doing saying what other religions teach? Because he's not doing a very good job at it.

Buddhism does explain where suffering comes from. It says it comes from attachment - thus, within yourself. This seems to very nicely fit in with what modern psychology understands about certain things. Clinginess and assholes, that's the majority of suffering. Basically, it all comes down to the ego. "Me and mine. Look out for #1. ******** everybody else." Everything against the Golden Rule - which plays into many religions, not just Christianity. And it deals with all of this (sometimes) without resorting to the supernatural.

As for the Buddha, we know that he overcame it. He overcame it in his lifetime. Or does this guy mean death? Why be so worried about death? Because you're attached to life? Not to get into being preachy here, I'm not actually a Buddhist, but it seems that this guy doesn't understand their religion at all.

Quote:
Hinduism adapts relativism, which breaks the very structure of thought to know Truth.

Hahaha. Breaking the structure of thought. Good one. There's nothing wrong with relativism when you can't tell who's full of s**t and who's not. Of course, when you can tell who's full of s**t, then you don't need to listen to Evangelists.

Quote:
Islam and many cults claim the Bible as their foundation of legitimacy (since many come hundreds and others thousands of years after the new testament), then they go and deny their foundation and posit contradictory information which still roots itself in the denied foundation.

And how long after the Old Testament was the New Testament written, again...? By the by, there seems to be an awful lot of contradictory information between Old and New. Lots of retcons and "Hey, you know all that stuff God said? Yeah, let's toss that out. This is your new God, by the way. He's human."

Quote:
Once one denies their foundation for legitimacy all of their claims built on a broken foundation, lack foundation. Culture is also against many, for culture perpetuates thinking which is devoid of truth.

Let's stop for a moment to think of the pure idiocy of what he just said.

Quote:
[Bible quote]

Yeah, let's skip these. If you can't rationalize without the Bible, it's clear you have none of - what was that again? - foundation. That whole "thinking is devoid of truth" is a**-backwards. Thinking is, as Christians might say, a God-given right - nay, ability! Gnostics will back me up on this. If we do not utilize our ability to think for ourselves, we are doing a great injustice to our Creator.

Quote:

Gee, I wonder why that is.

Quote:
This is an example in the Bible how man will follow foolishness to all extents.

Quote:
Romans 1:18-32 describes how and why people follow other religions.

Uh, just gonna go 1:18-20 here... "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

No he ******** hasn't. A bunch of guys wrote a book, of many books throughout many cultures, and not a damn thing is made plain.

I see nothing in this section except "It's because they're wicked!" Moving on.

Quote:
in 2 Corinthians 3:13-18 Paul describes that peoples’ hearts are hardened and there is a veil over their eyes and that only through Christ can one come and have their veil lifted to truth and salvation.

More "they're wicked!" bullshit. This is subjective and demonizing, and not at all relevant to any decent logic or "foundations of truth." Nothing but over-emotional, hateful, xenophobic tribalism. "We're right, and everybody else is wrong, because we say so." Moving the ******** on.

Quote:
This is why you can prove to someone God is real logically, historically, rationally but they will never accept the Lordship of Christ, because their hearts still have a veil over it. People do not accept Jesus by facts alone but through the heart and the Spirit.

LOGICALLY? HISTORICALLY? BULLSHIT. As I think I mentioned before, this is spoken like a goddamn cult. He says it's the spinoffs of Christianity who are cults. I say this is. It's all an attempt to separate themselves from the rest of the world. As if they alone know the Grand Truth of the Universe, and only through their figurehead, a man they've raised up to godhood purely by faith alone, is going to save them from their evil wickedness of humanity. That's what really gets me. I've got no beef with Christianity on basic principles, but this is just absolutely maddening.

Quote:

FALLACY? FALLACY? PERSONAL COMFORT? Sorry, sorry... I'll calm down now. Gotta finish this with a reasonably cool head.

Quote:
[another ******** biblical verse]

Yeah, no.

Monochrome Morpheus

Yeah, it's pretty awful. He's just... he's a ******** idiot. Maybe if he did actually learn about these religions, he'd accept their validity, and understand that he's not the only one with a reasonable, realistic view of the universe. If anything, maybe he'll understand that his view of the universe is skewed, distorted, and just plain sick.

Monochrome Morpheus

Self-righteous, egotistical, (and as I've said) xenophobic, tribalistic blowhards.
Monochrome Morpheus

It's a good sign that the man is probably insane.
Monochrome Morpheus
Other

******** him. Like vamperus said, he's a hypocrite.
eek Damn. Wasn't expecting such a thorough response. And now I know that I have every right to be disturbed.

Anxious Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
Monochrome Morpheus
eek Damn. Wasn't expecting such a thorough response. And now I know that I have every right to be disturbed.

Sorry. I was going to respond just to the TL;DR, but then I checked to see if anything I was saying was pointed out in the whole thing, and then I found good examples (like the bullshit regarding Buddhism), and I just went "******** it." xd

Interesting Seeker

Monochrome Morpheus

They go to disgruntled individuals or college students who might be trying to find themselves. Basically, people who are easier catch. This includes twisting info to eventually lead anyone they speak to back to Jesus with the ultimate goal of converting them. I stumbled upon a forum in which people are able to ask questions and have them answered by the pastor. Here is a sample of such an entry:

A. There are many different religions and faiths claiming that they are the only way to heaven. Obviously that means one is right and the rest are wrong. I’m not a very learned guy when it comes to worldviews other than Christianity, but if people believe in something then I would think there would be some concrete evidence for the foundation to their faith. Back to my question, If one is right and the rest wrong, wouldn’t there be some serious loopholes in the “wrong” ones?

All world-views have to answer the questions that all humans intrinsically ask, Where do we come from? What is our purpose? What is Morality? Why is there evil and suffering in the world? and What will happen when we die? Only the Christian worldview answers all of these questions to the clearest extent. It is the only religion which clearly corresponds to reality and whose text is so instructional and clear in explanation. Other world-views try but they all lack depth and correspondence with reality.

Buddhism doesn’t explain where evil and suffering come from it just explains what one must do to try to get away from it, and that which teaches us how to get away were taught by Buddha, who ultimately died and no one really knows if he ever overcame it. Hinduism adapts relativism, which breaks the very structure of thought to know Truth. Islam and many cults claim the Bible as their foundation of legitimacy (since many come hundreds and others thousands of years after the new testament), then they go and deny their foundation and posit contradictory information which still roots itself in the denied foundation. Once one denies their foundation for legitimacy all of their claims built on a broken foundation, lack foundation. Culture is also against many, for culture perpetuates thinking which is devoid of truth.

“He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, “Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!” And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, “Deliver me, for you are my god!” They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, “Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?” Isaiah 44:15-19

This is an example in the Bible how man will follow foolishness to all extents. Romans 1:18-32 describes how and why people follow other religions. in 2 Corinthians 3:13-18 Paul describes that peoples’ hearts are hardened and there is a veil over their eyes and that only through Christ can one come and have their veil lifted to truth and salvation. This is why you can prove to someone God is real logically, historically, rationally but they will never accept the Lordship of Christ, because their hearts still have a veil over it. People do not accept Jesus by facts alone but through the heart and the Spirit.

“And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. “For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.” John 3:19-20

Other

Well while we do believe that Christianity is the true Religion, and while we can say that all other religions are false and explain why we cannot judge those religions becasue that is against the teachings of Jesus. Like I can say the New Age movement is wrong, and why? Becasue it goes agaisnt the word of God. Know what I or any Christain can't do is go up to some guy and say Your religion sucks, and it's wrong repent or go to Hell! Like alot of preachers do. So I'd have to say that evangelists need to take a step back with the conversion process and try to actually preach like Paul, and the disciples preached which was in accordance with the holy spirit.
Monochrome Morpheus
chingate

Well, see, they believe going out and evangelizing is serving others....you know, saving their souls from eternal damnation.

The point of Christianity is not a free trip to heaven.

Jesus had more to say about life on earth right now than the afterlife. He represents the idea of service to others, of humility, of Love. Accepting the Holy Spirit is supposed to change someone from the inside out, that would assist them into becoming a light of peace and hope for other people.

Jesus said the greatest commandment would be to Love others as you Love Yourself. The group in the OP is not doing that. The post was judgmental, legalistic, and prideful.

Just study Jesus' life, and the type of person he was. I'm not good with words.

Anxious Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hero 100
chingate
Monochrome Morpheus
chingate

The point of Christianity is not a free trip to heaven.

Jesus had more to say about life on earth right now than the afterlife. He represents the idea of service to others, of humility, of Love. Accepting the Holy Spirit is supposed to change someone from the inside out, that would assist them into becoming a light of peace and hope for other people.

Jesus said the greatest commandment would be to Love others as you Love Yourself. The group in the OP is not doing that. The post was judgmental, legalistic, and prideful.

Just study Jesus' life, and the type of person he was. I'm not good with words.

You know that and I know that. But many Christians don't know that.

(The good ones do, though. So that's something.)

Anxious Knight

Monochrome Morpheus
So, There is this super Evangelist group running around my campus that has been making its mission to transform anyone they come into contact with into Jesus loving Christians.
Given your response they don't seem to be doing that great of a job.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff