Blessed Giver

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
eiji_panda13
Xandistra
I believe if you just believe in god, and Jesus you are Christian
I never go to church, I curse a lot, I don't see why you have to pressure others to be Christian, or religions. I support gay rights, because I don't give a s**t about what others do with their lives. I think in certain scenarios abortion is okay, especially for rape victims. Or early on stages.
I joke about my beliefs a lot. I'm very respectful of others beliefs also.
Does this make me Christian? Or even religious? My whole family is Christian.

If you follow the bible, NO. You have to be baptized.

Not true. No where in the Bible does it say that salvation is based on baptism. Jesus says salvation is through him and him "alone". Baptism is a display of faith, but it is not necessary for salvation.
Raven Cpu
eiji_panda13
Xandistra
I never go to church, I curse a lot, I don't see why you have to pressure others to be Christian, or religions. I support gay rights, because I don't give a s**t about what others do with their lives. I think in certain scenarios abortion is okay, especially for rape victims. Or early on stages.

Not true. No where in the Bible does it say that salvation is based on baptism. Jesus says salvation is through him and him "alone". Baptism is a display of faith, but it is not necessary for salvation.

Yes it does. Refer to Mark 16:16 that's just one of several scriptures that says that one must believe and be baptized to gain salvation

Dapper Player

If you believe in the divinity of Christ, you're a Christian. It's more or less a matter of you being a devout Christian or not, I suppose.
Iorveth
If you believe in the divinity of Christ, you're a Christian.

Even if you believe in the divinity of, say, Buddha too?

Dapper Player

Lucky~9~Lives
Iorveth
If you believe in the divinity of Christ, you're a Christian.

Even if you believe in the divinity of, say, Buddha too?

I suppose so. I don't really see why not, if the person believes that Christ died for their sins.
I believe in God and jesus does that make me better than everyone else?

Blessed Giver

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
eiji_panda13
Raven Cpu
eiji_panda13
Xandistra

Yes it does. Refer to Mark 16:16 that's just one of several scriptures that says that one must believe and be baptized to gain salvation

I welcome you to show me your scriptures. The word speaks for itself. You have been deceived by people into believing that salvation comes through baptism. The word says otherwise:

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Romans 5:1
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Romans 4:1-11
What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about - but not before God. What does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man of whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham's faith was credited to him as righteousness. Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before!

So, you see, salvation isn't through any sort of works, which includes baptism. Not to say that baptism is bad, but simply unnecessary for salvation. I can expand more on this if need be.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
I'd consider you the most sensible Christian out there. Christianity isn't about bible thumping. Laws and rules only exist to promote the greater good. Being a good human is a far greater ideal to aspire for than simply being a good religious person.
Raven Cpu
eiji_panda13
Raven Cpu
eiji_panda13
Xandistra

I welcome you to show me your scriptures. The word speaks for itself. You have been deceived by people into believing that salvation comes through baptism. The word says otherwise:

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Romans 5:1
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ...

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Romans 4:1-11
What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about - but not before God. What does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man of whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham's faith was credited to him as righteousness. Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before!

So, you see, salvation isn't through any sort of works, which includes baptism. Not to say that baptism is bad, but simply unnecessary for salvation. I can expand more on this if need be.
. It seems that no matter what anyone says, you'll go by your own interpretation of the bible. And you don't actually need to hear what people say in this forum. If you are dedicated to the path you've chosen, then leave it at that, but don't ask people for their opinion and then decide to not take it into consideration. I gave you my interpretation. If you reject it, so be it. But good luck with this, whatever it is.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Xandistra

There is something that needs to be seriously clarified before assessing if your faith ins genuine. This is important because most professing Christians are not actually aware of what they truly believe when confronted with the right questions.

You state a belief in Jesus... At the intellectual level? Many people (especially the younger crowd) have a hard time discerning where their faith truly is. Many people state a belief in Christianity/Jesus, but fail to realize that they only believe in Jesus at the intellectual level. This is not going to help you because if the faith is not moving with all that you are, then that is a red flag.

Another thing is "fruit bearing". Jesus said something pretty thought provoking. It was from his thought's on false prophets, but it can be said of pretty much anyone... "You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.
(Matthew 7:16-20 ESV)

So what is this fruit that he's talking about? If you're actually a believer, then Jesus promises that he'll send you something called the Holy Spirit, to help you out in life. What is the "Fruit of the Spirit?"

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
(Galatians 5:22-23 ESV)

Now a terrible ting to do is to see if you live out these qualities naturally. It's a lot smarter to ask close friends (who wont lie to you) who actually know you inside and out to asses if these qualities are true in you. Granted not all Christians are perfect in this regard (some are better at being patient than self-controlled), but there should be certain ones that especially stand out. If none of these are apparent in any of the close people around you, then this is another massive red flag that's on fire, lol.
John 3:16. Personally, I didn't find God in a church. I think that a true Christian would follow Jesus's teachings and try to follow the guidelines... but some contradict each other and are up for interpretation. I think you just gotta try. "cussing" doesn't mean anything because they are just slang words deemed bad by society, which I don't believe it says anything in the bible about not using slang. It says to love everyone equally, and I think that includes gay people. You can believe without being religious.

Friendly Phantom

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
In my personal opinion, to look at what a real Christian is, look at Jesus. He's everything a Christian should be, and thus, a Christian is one who believes in Christ. Jesus said to believe in Him and you'll be saved, right? In my opinion, when He said believe, He didn't mean "take it with a grain of salt", He meant to truly believe. To believe is to understand something to be a reality of sorts, and we act on reality right? If we believe that Jesus Christ was truly the Messiah, then why wouldn't we follow His teachings? If we believe in all of His teachings, then why don't we do as they say? For if His teachings become reality to us, then our emotions and thoughts change aswell.

To put it simple, Christian means, Christ-follower. Do you think you're following Christ? or yourself?
That is the star-question that should be asked.

As for abortion, and gay rights.....I don't wish to start a war over these, as they're my own personal opinion..but allow me to share if you will...

I find abortion to be wrong, whether you're a rape victem or not, due to the fact that God allows things to happen, and intercedes in the lives of men, so that all things come together for a reason. Secondly, you're killing a child. It doesn't state when time begins for a baby, but it does say that all humans have a soul, but it doesn't mention when they have a soul. By this observation, I think that a baby has its soul whenever it begins its development, and is growing into something, for it has human life.

Now, to move onto gay rights...this is where I'm gonna get flack, but hear me out, its an opinion, and of my own observation... Gay people have rights, the only thing it seems like they cant do is get married. Now if were going by the Bible's teachings, marriage is one of the ultimate portrayals of love, and is something sacred, in which afterwards we are granted the sinless permission to have sex with our mate and create children of our own.
Now, need I remind, those who are gay, with a significant other, cannot have a child of their own, unless adopted. Thus marriage has little use, as its just the same as being a girlfriend or a boyfriend at that point. So in my opinion, gay people have just as much rights as a straight individual, the only other difference is, in my opinion, marriage has no use.

This is my observation, mind you, only an opinion, but perhaps something to be pondered over so that one might improve their own observation or come to their own conclusion.

Sincerely,
Ryan

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
In order to be a Christian, you must either first learn the native tongue in which the Bible was written or pick from one of these 45 English versions. After you pick from one of these choices, you must garner a superiority complex over the version you picked and must defame anyone else who picks a different version as blasphemous. This is a mandatory trait. I recommend starting with the Easy-to-Read Version.

Hilarious Seeker

6,100 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xandistra

I personally wouldnt consider myself exactly a "Christian" by hearing the ways that you live, only cause I have been through a program and have studied the bible and biblical values to conclude that the lifestlye you actually go by would NOT be considered Christian, only cause you cuss, and the fact you dont attend church. The reason I can judge this way is cause I dont go by religious beliefs in that way, but since you asked, you really wouldnt be considered christian in strong believers eyes because of how you just described your ways.
But I know that if you were to make a promise to god, so to speak, you could work your way to the spectrum of being considered a faithful christian, but that of coarse is a personal decision you make on your own terms if you were serious about being a christian.
A Christian believes Christ,

an Academic, a Christian, and an Antichristian can believe IN Christ.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff