Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Citizen

stealthmongoose
xXZirkannia
Only by the profession of your mouth.
Your heart doesn't seem to be in it, though. Nor do your described actions seem to show it.

You should formally excommunicate people who only confess with their mouths.

That would solve a history's worth of problems, wouldn't it?

But then you'd be excluding people who have a right to be Christian on the basis of messianic belief.

Well, at least you can be quite confident in one thing...

I'm not going to bother to watch anything you send, just so you know for the future.

You spout nonsense in the guise of logical conversation.

"excommunicate people who only confess with their mouths?"

Faith is between an individual and God. You can't really kick someone out of personally believing something. You can try to disassociate them with others who share a similar belief system, but they are what they are and God will deal with them individually.
(Hitler for example may have proclaimed to be a Christian, but that doesn't mean God dealt with him so easily. He still had to give an account for his words, actions, and motives. I can't claim I know where he ended up, but that was between Him and God. No one else.)

Although someone with a stronger Faith should correct and/or guide and encourage others who are weaker/younger in their own faiths, it is not up to them to decide who stays or goes.

Invisible Phantom

Christian God + Jesus, I call it christian.
Jolie Maidele

Well, a Christian is someone who believes in and accepts Jesus as the Messiah and lives to follow his teachings.

Do you feel that you have and are truthfully doing this?

You mentioned your viewpoints on a few controversial issues and I would suggest you look into what the Bible has to say, even if not directly, about these issues. Also, if you go to church, you'd be able to talk to someone about these things.

Cursing certainly doesn't make you any less of a Christian, but do you feel it honors God? You should aim to honor God with all that you do, which may involve giving up some things that the world has accepted as fine. Basically, you should try to do things and represent yourself in a way that pleases God.

I have already accepted Jesus into my heart, and I do pray every night before I sleep...

Cheery Cutie-Pie

7,800 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
A christian is someone who believes in Jesus as his/her saviour and by believing in Jesus you believe in the christian god and the holy spirit. Or something like that sweatdrop

Explorer

Everybody has gray lines. Who are WE to judge YOU'RE personal relationship with The Lord?

I don't go to church, and I curse. I read the bible. I fully believe Jesus was born and died for me and my sins. I know The Lord loves me and I trust The Lord's plan.

James 4:12 says, "God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?"

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
I'm not christian but ill try to take a shot at this..

Christians curse im sure... they might feel bad that they said something so vulgar...some christians might pray to ask for forgiveness.

Some christians do "pressure" other to be christian...which i find sort of annoying and hinting toward disrespect toward another person's beliefs. However some christian try to spread christianity because they feel either ...others would feel like more answers to their life can be found / lead a better life with good morals/ be at peace with themselves / etc etc.

Christians can support gay rights. I forget the name of the church that supports gay rights and marriage. Traditional christians dislike gay marriage because marriage is forming a unity or bond in front of the eyes of god. In the bible it was between a man and woman. These days people don't want to acknowledge where marriage originated in the first place. Marriage is a religious ceremony. These christians would be insulted if another group of people took this away from them and completely transformed marriage into something else.

If you don't give a s**t about other people...traditional christians would say you lack care or empathy for other human being and the bible says you need to spread love and care for others even strangers. I guess you can not care about what other people do...but then you wouldn't be considered a "good" christian.

"I'm very respectful of others beliefs also."

That is a good thing. Certain churches and pastors just teaches not to believe it though. I don't think they want the young trying to get into a argument or disrespect elders/ people they don't fully know.

I think (depends what church you belong to) if you believe in god & accept god/ Jesus as your savior & try to follow their teachings... you can be a "good" christian

Just because your family is christian doesn't mean you have to be. Reflect on yourself and try to ask yourself some life questions... look into philosophy.
Here's my opinion.

There's no such thing as a "real Christian." There's only one exception to my statement, I think anybody can be considered Christian if they believe in something that has anything to do with Jesus.

The reason why I think there's no such thing as a "real Christian" is because of basic knowledge of early Christianity.

It took Christianity 400-500 years before Orthodox Christianity actually became the generally accepted form of Christianity. I also believe that it took even longer than that for the 27 books in the New Testament to be considered the "actual books inspired by God." But before that point, you had many many people calling themselves Christians who believed in all completely different things, believed in different books, believed in different traditions, some even believed there was more than one god, etc, etc.

There were many books outside of the 27 books in the NT canon today that were considered holy and inspired by many other Christians before a collaboration of the 27 books known as the New Testament actually came around.

Also another reason why I don't think there's such a thing as a "real Christian" is that even within the 27 books of the NT, many of the teachings, beliefs, and claims in the books contradict each other. A very famous one that biblical scholars know of is the contradictory claim between Jesus (in the Gospel of Matthew) and Paul (in his letter to the Galatians) over whether the Jewish laws are supposed to be followed by Christians or not. This isn't the only contradiction, there's thousands upon thousands of others.

The reason why there's contradictions is quite obvious if you're equipped with a foggy knowledge of biblical scholarship and early Christian history. Each book was written by different people, who believed in different things, who lived at different times, who were raised in a different cultural environment, etc, etc. Also scholars and scribes in those days actually altered the texts all the time. Sometimes the scribes altered the texts intentionally, either because they found an error and tried to fix it or because they were just twisting the bible to fit what they believed, or they made mistakes and thus altered the text. We don't even have original copies of any of the books in the NT, we don't even know what the originals even said. Also if we compare the earliest copies we have of the 27 books in the NT and compare them with very early texts, there are huge and vast differences. Meaning that we have evidence that many of the significant changes in the texts actually took place very early. So there's no reason to believe that the 27 books we have today are even vaguely similar to the 27 books as they were originally written.

So not only do I think there's philosophical problems because of contradictions between the books, but I also think there's historical problems (like the fact that there were hundreds if not thousands of different types of Christians and what we know as Christianity today really just stems from Orthodox Christianity. Which was just one of many many different types of Christianities that lived for 400-500 years before Orthodox Christianity actually became Orthodox) and there's scriptural problems to.

So to me I think there is no such thing as a "real Christian" because what I think the real truth is, it's just a religion that's made up.
Gonecrazy12345
There's no such thing as a "real Christian." There's only one exception to my statement, I think anybody can be considered Christian if they believe in something that has anything to do with Jesus.

Is a person who believes Jesus was an avatar of Brahman - and not the son of YHVH - then a Christian?
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345

Is a person who believes Jesus was an avatar of Brahman - and not the son of YHVH- then a Christian?

In my opinion sure why not. I mean like I said, back in early Christianity there were many Christians who didn't even believe Jesus was the son of God. Some Christians just thought Jesus was just a regular man who had good teachings. Some Christians thought Jesus wasn't the son of God but was a prophet.

So in my opinion, anybody that really has any attachment to Jesus at all could call themselves a Christian and I wouldn't have a beef with that because it's historically consistent with how the Christianity first started back in the 1st century.
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345

Is a person who believes Jesus was an avatar of Brahman - and not the son of YHVH- then a Christian?

In my opinion sure why not.

It makes the terms somewhat nebulous. Not that it isn't already, granted.
- ninja
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345

- ninja

Honestly it is an ill-defined word, even in the context of almost all common Christianities in the modern day that stem from Orthodox Christianity.
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives

- ninja

Honestly it is an ill-defined word, even in the context of almost all common Christianities in the modern day that stem from Orthodox Christianity.

Might they all believe Jesus had the best teachings?
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives

- ninja

Perhaps you could say that, but this then raises another problem of nebulousness, what were Jesus' teachings?
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives
Gonecrazy12345
Lucky~9~Lives

- ninja

Perhaps you could say that, but this then raises another problem of nebulousness, what were Jesus' teachings?

Touché.
- xp

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
To be honest, by most standards it makes you a pretty s**t Christian who really needs to re-examine themselves and there supposed relationship with God.

But sure, give yourself the title if you like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff